Thread: similar looking Mercedes

similar looking Mercedes

Here and there in some threads I read that Mercedeses are increasingly looking very similar. Well, this has been a feature for all post war Benzes,

Take the prewar 170 that continued after the war and compare with the 220. Same shape just a longer bonnet.
    Then came the 180 and the 220, 220 S, 219 and 220 SE. You had to look very good to spot the difference.
    In 1961 the famous rear winged ("heckflossen")S-class was introduced, while the smaller but outwardly almost identical 190 came a year later. This version also incorporated the 300 series, which was built in very limited numbers and in two shapes during the fifties. The role of the 300 was taken over by the 600, which only saw one model run.

In 1969 the wings disappeared in the new S-class, which actually was one of the most elegant S-classes ever. The new small mercedes followed in 1970.
    This process continued up to now, and a similar story could be written on the various coupe and cabrio derivatives. Today has become rather difficult to identify at first glance a C an E and an S class. The above shows that this has been a marketing gimmick applied by Mercedes for ages whether we like it or not. If you interpret this in a negative way you could say that when you have seen one, you have seen them all. Positively speaking you can say that even the cheapest (least expensive) Mercedes makes you a visible part of the Benz family.
    Last edited by henk4; 09-15-2003 at 01:32 PM.

Sorry but imo this is a dumb thread....it's all about brand image....u have to recognize a Mercedes from 1000 cars & that's the whole idea....& they aren't the only ones who design their cars after this "gimmick".....look at any "respectable" car manufacturer & u'll get a deja-vu when u see more models....Look at the "pre-Bangle" B.M.W.s, Audis,Jaguars....all 70's american car manufacturers(u couldn't tell a Chevy from a Pontiac).....if a person considers him/herself a car connoisseur he/she should spot the diff. between any manufacturer's models at first glance.....& don't tell me u can't see the diff between these cars:

"Fate?Fate's just an illusion which takes the fear away.You trust fate?I trust no one.I'm not paranoid.I'm just independent.I spin the other way.I have no notion of time.I'm myself's whore.I know nothing but my needs,my ego,my thoughts,my cares,my loves,my hates,my world.Who am I?...I'm you."

Originally posted by GeaKana
    [B]Sorry but imo this is a dumb thread....it's all about brand image...
    That 's another way of saying the same thing, I tried to respond to the people who say Benzes are increasingly looking the same which as a matter of fact is nothing new. But you are right I could have taken quite a few other makes. The problem is always when a manufacturer thinks his brand is considered to have become increasingly boring what to do. A radical change is not always appreciated as BMW experienced with the 7.
    Talking about the current Benzes I have to admit that when the S-type came on the market I had to look very carefully, especially from behind to distinguish it from a C-Class. I had the same problems when the latest E class was introduced, but I did not say I was a car connaisseur.

Originally posted by henk4
    That 's another way of saying the same thing, I tried to respond to the people who say Benzes are increasingly looking the same which as a matter of fact is nothing new. But you are right I could have taken quite a few other makes. The problem is always when a manufacturer thinks his brand is considered to have become increasingly boring what to do. A radical change is not always appreciated as BMW experienced with the 7.
    Talking about the current Benzes I have to admit that when the S-type(u mean S-Klasse) came on the market I had to look very carefully, especially from behind to distinguish it from a C-Class. I had the same problems when the latest E class was introduced, but I did not say I was a car connaisseur.
    It's ok I get your point.....from the rear all Mercedes sedans look very much alike.....especially the C & S.....if u see them from the distance u can't really tell what model it is,imo that really is a bad point for Mercedes designs....but other than that I disagree with u.....
    "Fate?Fate's just an illusion which takes the fear away.You trust fate?I trust no one.I'm not paranoid.I'm just independent.I spin the other way.I have no notion of time.I'm myself's whore.I know nothing but my needs,my ego,my thoughts,my cares,my loves,my hates,my world.Who am I?...I'm you."

It's ok I get your point.....from the rear all Mercedes sedans look very much alike.....especially the C & S.....if u see them from the distance u can't really tell what model it is,imo that really is a bad point for Mercedes designs....but other than that I disagree with u.....
    And the point is that that has always been the case, that's why I mentioned a number of historic examples.

I noticed your correction on S-Klasse, if you like I could rewrite the whole thread in German, do you really want that? Would not be fair against the rest of the world.

LOL no no no!...I corrected the fact that u said "S-Type" instead of "S-Klasse"...or "S-Class" whatever....."S-Type" is a Jag model..

"S-Type" is a Jag model..
    You are right I had not realised that, too preoccupied with teutonic cars

Originally posted by henk4
    too preoccupied with teutonic cars
    LOL u're not the only one.

LOL u're not the only one.
    yeah and I even don't like them

engines

the thing that bother me even more, is the similarity in their offered engines. what's the point of having 55s , 65s and 600s on the SL, CL, S and whatever is to come.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Re: engines

Originally posted by Misho
    the thing that bother me even more, is the similarity in their offered engines. what's the point of having 55s , 65s and 600s on the SL, CL, S and whatever is to come.
    Most people always want the biggest engine and asking substantially more for that than the marginal cost (compared to the smallest engine) will increase profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    So the people can have what ever they want?
    40 OZ. to freedom.

Thread Information