Thread: Cosmos - A Space Time Odyssey

Cosmos - A Space Time Odyssey

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but it is a fantastic series, and online for free for a little bit. Catch it while you can. Its based off the old Carl Sagen series Cosmos from the 80's.

COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I have seen it and highly recommend it as well.

It is good. The old one, which I prefer, can be found in it's entirety on YouTube.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thanks for bringing it in, I didn't realize it was available online. I'm a big fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson and science in general. I was able to see Bill Nye lecture when I was in college.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc"]Neil deGrasse Tyson - We Stopped Dreaming (Episode 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Slightly embarrassed, but I thought you were going to bring up the Mazda Cosmos...

I should be mad for not living in the US (video not available from other countries), but then again torrents were made for a reason, a good one this time.

America got dumb. You were once the ones that went to the Moon. Now you are subprime mortgages, Chick-fil-a, Maury, and Instagram. What happened to you America?

Efforts like this give me slight hope that the world's "superpower" could attempt to live up to its name. Good on Seth MacFarlane for making this happen, and Fox for running it.

Fox was not going to run it originally, Seth McFarlane was instrumental in the creation and production of the series. I do like that the give the due nod to Carl Sagen throughout the series so far. Also, I am sure it will be up for sale after the series is done so Torrenting is hardly an honest way to view it.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Fox was not going to run it originally, Seth McFarlane was instrumental in the creation and production of the series. I do like that the give the due nod to Carl Sagen throughout the series so far. Also, I am sure it will be up for sale after the series is done so Torrenting is hardly an honest way to view it.
    That depends if they encode the DVDs for Europe, which is not a given as Neil deGrasse Tyson is surely a great personality but not so much in Europe unfortunately. Most people in the scientific community (or simply science enthusiasts) don't know about Carl Sagan either.
    That said I'd be first in line to buy it if it becomes available over here, projects like this and science in general need all possible supports unlike most pointless personal ventures on Kickstarter.
    As with the video posted by NSXType-R, I hope efforts like this can spark some interest in today's youth for something other than wasting their days on social medias of all sorts.

In the meantime though I'm eager to watch them, and torrents are a way to kill the wait.

The original broadcast was on PBS, so it was free-as-a-bird to all tax-paying citizens in the early '80s. I would imagine being PBS it is just as free these days, just squirreled away somewhere. (I realize you're in Italy, md11, so this isn't directed specifically at you)
    For those whose moral compasses autorotate, YouTube (and other things) is an option as I mentioned above. As an old man, I prefer the original; the visuals were far less spectacular, but less cluttered and the writing and Sagan's measure delivery were more to my taste. To each their own. Any mass-media science that is good science is a very positive thing. I am happy that MacFarlane has successfully shanghaied the Fox channel for an hour each week to let NdGT do his thing.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Me and my friend were talking the other day about this...TV in general just don't have the same kind of shows that I watched as a developing kid/teenager. And thats only 15-20 years ago. In those time you can watch Discovery Channel or TLC and you can find shows about science, technology, space race...stuff like that. Those stuff along with racing sorta made me go towards engineering. Now all you can watch even on those channel are stupid reality shows about rednecks and their backward garage crap or just general dysfunctional lifestyle....no wonder kids are getting dumb...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Me and my friend were talking the other day about this...TV in general just don't have the same kind of shows that I watched as a developing kid/teenager. And thats only 15-20 years ago. In those time you can watch Discovery Channel or TLC and you can find shows about science, technology, space race...stuff like that. Those stuff along with racing sorta made me go towards engineering. Now all you can watch even on those channel are stupid reality shows about rednecks and their backward garage crap or just general dysfunctional lifestyle....no wonder kids are getting dumb...
    I have to agree, the history channel seems to be all about Top Gear USA and Pawn Wars now...

Never come across this before. WIll be certain to check it out..thanks
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 06-20-2014 at 05:38 AM.

It was on on of the FOX channels here in Oz. Awesome show. At least the parts I could understand.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information