Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans

The #2 demise -- worst for me was poor McNish. He is desperate to win another Le Mans and MUST have thought that teaming up with the great Kristenson it was guaranteed
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
    Who led nearly the entire race? It may be faster in one lap, but it's slower on the other 300+ laps, plus it was obvious that the Audi were gaining distance away from the Peugeots over time although very slowly. And those 2 Audis weren't destroyed because they were pushed to the extent. First the #3 car was driven by rookies, and then the #2 car was an error made in an earlier pit stop. The wheel lock was damaged and nobody remembered what happened at the earlier pit stop until the accident. Speaking of little time in development, that was the case with the Audi last year, hence some mechanical problems, but at least they won and now they did it again.
    Audi did not win first time out in 1999. Fact is the Peugeot people were very happy and Audi supremo Ulrich looked disappointed and relieved rather than happy. Peugeot pushed the Audi to run at a much faster pace than last year and they will push the pace even higher next year. The #3 Audi was raced by three very experienced drivers, who have all won major races / series and can hardly be called rookies. Audi has not confirmed anything about that wheel nut yet. It took forty laps for it to fall off.

Peugeot is the moral winner of this race, together with Henri Pescarolo.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Peugeot is the moral winner of this race, together with Henri Pescarolo.
    They just aren't. They would be if they had been leading for I don't know 22 hours and then the car broke down, or they did a silly mistake. The thing is Peugeot never led (except for the first few corners) and was always behind Audi. And no matter what you say, that's a fact.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Races are made of if's, and maybe's...Peugeot made a good first effort...it isn't their fault they had a 'Jensen Button' fashion media hype they couldn't possibly live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    They just aren't. They would be if they had been leading for I don't know 22 hours and then the car broke down, or they did a silly mistake. The thing is Peugeot never led (except for the first few corners) and was always behind Audi. And no matter what you say, that's a fact.
    Right. I guess you are the expert. I was there, I have seen the Peugeot people, I have seen and heard the Audi people, I talked to many insiders. They all agreed about Peugeot making a startling debut and being the moral winners. They must all be wrong.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I don't know about other people's expectations, but I think they were unreasonably high for Peugeot. It was their first year of the comeback. They, unlike Audi, don't have 8 years of sportscar activity behind them, so any result would be understandable. They did what they were supposed to do: be a leveled opposition to Audi and beat all petrol cars. That, from my point of view is amazing, and I'm very happy for Lamy. I'm hoping to tell him that when I meet him and Tiago Monteiro next thursday.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    I don't know about other people's expectations, but I think they were unreasonably high for Peugeot. It was their first year of the comeback.
    That is a typical French reaction - a hype. They performed well for a first year, no doubt. But they were not up to Audi, yet, and to call them "moral winners" is nonsense.
    Aston Martin can make a very huge commercial sigh of relief: yet another bow before the Corvettes might have been a costly affair.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisP View Post
    [COLOR="Olive"]That is a typical French reaction
    Isn't it required to be French to have a typical french reaction?
    I can't see in which way was the Peugeot inferior. It lost some time at hte beggining, but that is the kind of thing that is supposed to happen during a 24h race. From then on, they kept up very well.
    I expected more from a team with more then 8 years of exeprience, like Audi.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisP View Post
    That is a typical French reaction - a hype. They performed well for a first year, no doubt. But they were not up to Audi, yet, and to call them "moral winners" is nonsense.
    Aston Martin can make a very huge commercial sigh of relief: yet another bow before the Corvettes might have been a costly affair.
    Audi's target was a clean sweep of the podium; they failed and spectacularly. The Peugeot had never survived longer than 18 hours, so they performed much better than expected in their debut year. Peugeot go home happy and Audi return with mixed feelings at best. Especially considering the earwashing they received back in the States the last few months. Peugeot on the other hand have won the first races of this season with a car that was not even completely designed when the R10 won Le Mans last year.

(Ted Joans)

Audi's target was a clean sweep of the podium; they failed and spectacularly.
    Agreed, but I am not so sure that that was due to the Peugeots pushing the Audis hard. I think that it may have been just to misfortune on the Audi's part; the #3 car just crashed (I suppose you could say it as because it was being pushed hard but I doubt it) and the #2 car I don't know what happened as I was asleep. Care to tell me please?

Audi's best lap last year was 3:32 and now it was in the 3:27 range. The track is maybe 2 seconds faster, but Audi was pushed 3 seconds per lap faster than last year.

(Ted Joans)

I have to say that I have no idea, but my impresion before the race was that peugeot would win easily, just like did Audi last year, because the expectatives were very high (at least in my nearest friend circle, and I think here also some people was convinced about the peugeot's win), so i see this audi victory like the last victory of the R8.

And although it was very dificult to peugeot win this race (they were newcomers like the R10 last year, and audi also experimenting with diesel for the first time), they put a lot of money and work, so in fact they were suposed to win like the R10 last year, and think about if audi didn't won last year, it would be a disater for them after all the expectations and marketing. For me is the same, just my impresion .
    Life is too short to stay, race!

Gora Euskadi! Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelzapi3 View Post
    I have to say that I have no idea, but my impresion before the race was that peugeot would win easily, just like did Audi last year, because the expectatives were very high (at least in my nearest friend circle, and I think here also some people was convinced about the peugeot's win), so i see this audi victory like the last victory of the R8.
    I really don't know how the Peugeot got so hyped? The last time they tried to complete 24 hours, the engine blew after just 18. I think it is potentially faster than the Audi, but it can't run at mad speeds as long as one of the Audis did. The last R8 win was a fluke; this R10 win was the anticipated result. Next year will be a different story.

(Ted Joans)

bio-ethanol instead of Audi's TDi engines

Koenigsegg have used it and now audi will prove it by doing 24hr race with it. Nice idea anyway, mybe they will try to prove they use half the fuel or emit half the fumes.

My disapointment this year was that i saw no TVRs, Smolenski is trying to improve reliability and this would be a perfect stepping stone to proving everyone that. Doe any body know if there plans for next year?
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

I really don't know how the Peugeot got so hyped? The last time they tried to complete 24 hours, the engine blew after just 18. I think it is potentially faster than the Audi, but it can't run at mad speeds as long as one of the Audis did. The last R8 win was a fluke; this R10 win was the anticipated result. Next year will be a different story.
    I am looking forward to all the pics and things form the UCP update Wouter.

When will we see all that?

Thread Information