Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F40 VS Porsche 959?

since you, Newyorkkopter, decided more than one time to interpret my sentences at your pleasure, and you are continuously repeating the same thing that a supercar is the one which can give you the ultimate drive regardless of what I posted discussing the fact that it's just yor opinion and not, I guess I can say this is no longer a discussion but just an occasion, for you, to talk by yourself.
    I would be very interested in a discussion in which the two parts listen to each others, but it seems this is not the case.
    stick with your own ideas if that makes you comfortable, I never wanted to change them, it rather seems you don't even know them after all.
    perhaps I just took you too seriously.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 01-06-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Damn! I like these arguments! Just as a curiosity, what's the age of both?

The F40 and the 959 are just different approaches of each marque's ultimeta road car at the time. While Ferrari, in the Italian way, made a raw, back-breaking, head-twisting, chest-splitting racing-breed pure machine, Porsche, in their German way, made a fast, all-round, comfortable, sophisticated and low-profile car (maybe that's why the F40 is so much more sought-after than the 959; the latter is too 911-looking. The F40 resembles nothing else). And the funny is, although the F40 was built from an aborted Group B racing project, it was always a "strictly road-going car". On the other hand, the 959 was presented since day 1 as a racing car (the original 959 prototype was presented as Gruppe B...) but refined for road use.

Anyway, concerning this wave of attacks ant counterattacks, I must say I'm more with LeonOfTheDead. Since when can anyone say the Veyron isn't a supercar (whatever that means) but just a GT car? An F40 is a supercar but not the Veyron, considering the Veyron simply obliterates the F40 in, well, everything!? And the SSC is a supercar too? I've talked to a guy who's a friend if an Arabian guy who owns a SSC and he says you just can't make corners with it because the downforce is so minimal (reduced drag to improve top speed) and its spiky behaviour due to the twin turbos make it almost impossible to deliver power through the rear wheels!

In MY book (I'll bold it to prevent LionOfTheDead to nuke me... ), a supercar is an automobile which can achieve extraordinary performance and deliver the maximum driving pleasure. I'm not narrowing it down to stripped-out road-legal racing cars nor drifters/dragsters... Who can say a BMW M5 isn't a supercar! Just watch Tiff Niedel's drive on the M5... Anyway, supercar is just a type of sportscar. Like an elite among sportscars.

A thing everyone is forgeting is that the sole purpouse of producing cars is for people to buy them. If they don't have the attributes the market demands, they will be disregarded (branding can be considered an attribute, BTW...). That's why Pagani works so well! It's possibly one of the most exhilirating, joyful, intoxicating car there ever was and still it's comfy and the interior exhales class, quality and refinement. ANd that works for me. And for almost everyone. But then again, cars like the Zonda or the Veyron aren't cars. They're pieces of art!
    Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Joao Gois View Post
    Damn! I like these arguments! Just as a curiosity, what's the age of both?

The F40 and the 959 are just different approaches of each marque's ultimeta road car at the time. While Ferrari, in the Italian way, made a raw, back-breaking, head-twisting, chest-splitting racing-breed pure machine, Porsche, in their German way, made a fast, all-round, comfortable, sophisticated and low-profile car (maybe that's why the F40 is so much more sought-after than the 959; the latter is too 911-looking. The F40 resembles nothing else). And the funny is, although the F40 was built from an aborted Group B racing project, it was always a "strictly road-going car". On the other hand, the 959 was presented since day 1 as a racing car (the original 959 prototype was presented as Gruppe B...) but refined for road use.

Anyway, concerning this wave of attacks ant counterattacks, I must say I'm more with LeonOfTheDead. Since when can anyone say the Veyron isn't a supercar (whatever that means) but just a GT car? An F40 is a supercar but not the Veyron, considering the Veyron simply obliterates the F40 in, well, everything!? And the SSC is a supercar too? I've talked to a guy who's a friend if an Arabian guy who owns a SSC and he says you just can't make corners with it because the downforce is so minimal (reduced drag to improve top speed) and its spiky behaviour due to the twin turbos make it almost impossible to deliver power through the rear wheels!

In MY book (I'll bold it to prevent LionOfTheDead to nuke me... ), a supercar is an automobile which can achieve extraordinary performance and deliver the maximum driving pleasure. I'm not narrowing it down to stripped-out road-legal racing cars nor drifters/dragsters... Who can say a BMW M5 isn't a supercar! Just watch Tiff Niedel's drive on the M5... Anyway, supercar is just a type of sportscar. Like an elite among sportscars.

A thing everyone is forgeting is that the sole purpouse of producing cars is for people to buy them. If they don't have the attributes the market demands, they will be disregarded (branding can be considered an attribute, BTW...). That's why Pagani works so well! It's possibly one of the most exhilirating, joyful, intoxicating car there ever was and still it's comfy and the interior exhales class, quality and refinement. ANd that works for me. And for almost everyone. But then again, cars like the Zonda or the Veyron aren't cars. They're pieces of art!
    agree (I could still nuke you, watch out! just kidding )
    especially, some cars as the Zonda and the Veyron, as you sayd, shouldn't be considered just as cars or lokking at their performances.
    that's why I like so much the upcoming One-77 and especially the idea behind it expressed in the two released videos.
    it's not the first surely, but one of those piece of art sculpted in a car form.

for as regards my age, take the time to look at my profile, it's not a secret.

Anyway, supercar is just a type of sportscar. Like an elite among sportscars.
    That says it all.

Who can say a BMW M5 isn't a supercar!
    Me?

It just isn't. Awesome, yes. Super, no.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

For all the heat that this topic is generating, has anyone else here ever driven both a 959 and F40 ?

Quote Originally Posted by 60Valves View Post
    For all the heat that this topic is generating, has anyone else here ever driven both a 959 and F40 ?
    No. I tried at a car show but the owners just laughed when I asked. Out of curiosity, have you gotten a chance to drive a 959?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by 60Valves View Post
    obviously no.
    I think your are one of the few here to have driven an F40.
    I think I saw the 959 just one time. maybe.

Indeed, much of our extensive automotive knowledge when referring to "supercars" (or "really cool cars" since that term is not established on this thread) comes from assorted readings, what we see at auto expo's, what we see at the track, or what we see on television. But most of us have never driven one, much less been inside one to offer the ultimate opinion or review of such a machine...

And here at UCP we're experts.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Indeed, much of our extensive automotive knowledge when referring to "supercars" (or "really cool cars" since that term is not established on this thread) comes from assorted readings, what we see at auto expo's, what we see at the track, or what we see on television. But most of us have never driven one, much less been inside one to offer the ultimate opinion or review of such a machine...

And here at UCP we're experts.

If we were driving them everyday and seing them all the time, they wouldn't be that special. I guess that's the enchantment about "dream cars" or "exotics": you can't afford it, you probably will never drive one and at best you'll se one very occasionally. At least I can watch a lot of exotics IRL... in my attic, my car model collection!