Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F40 VS Porsche 959?

Joao Gois,

Slightly off topic, but I drove the F40 right through Albufeira a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao Gois View Post
    OK, We were then talking about two different things giving it the same name (that's what happens when we talk different languages and express in a third language...). I always consider the vehicle as a system of forces. If the resultant pushes the car agains the floor, it's downforce; if it sends it sky-high, it's lift. Drag just sends the car back, not up, IMO.
    Hope we understand each other this way...
    damn, lift, not drag, I got confused
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by 60Valves View Post
    Joao Gois,

Slightly off topic, but I drove the F40 right through Albufeira a few months ago.
    Oh no, we were the ones off-topic. Sorted now.

OMG!

You

gotta

be

kidding!

Were you on vacations? Are you ever coming back with it ? I've never seen an F40 IRL... Please, say you'll return (and warn me when you do!!)...
    Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Oh no, we were the ones off-topic. Sorted now.

OMG!

You

gotta

be

kidding!

Were you on vacations? Are you ever coming back with it ? I've never seen an F40 IRL... Please, say you'll return (and warn me when you do!!)...
    I wil probably be coming back through at some point over the sumemr.

There is a write up on the trip:

Ferrari Life Quarterly, The International Magazine About Ferrari & Lifestyle - Ferrari Life

Issue #10 under Summer Reports.

I wil probably be coming back through at some point over the sumemr.

There is a write up on the trip:

Ferrari Life Quarterly, The International Magazine About Ferrari & Lifestyle - Ferrari Life

Issue #10 under Summer Reports.
    So you were in Spain and took the chance to come to Portugal? Nice.
    One question. That grey car on page 42 is a Sbarro Challenge. Was it on the run too?? Coool.

Pleeeeease, if you ever pass in the Algarve again, give me a nod. Would it be asking too much to have even the smallest lift on the F40?

So you were in Spain and took the chance to come to Portugal? Nice.
    One question. That grey car on page 42 is a Sbarro Challenge. Was it on the run too?? Coool.

Pleeeeease, if you ever pass in the Algarve again, give me a nod. Would it be asking too much to have even the smallest lift on the F40?
    Yes, the grey car was a Sbarro Challenge. Horrible thing.

Will let you know if I drive through the Algarve again.

Yes, the grey car was a Sbarro Challenge. Horrible thing.

Will let you know if I drive through the Algarve again.
    That would be sooo sweet!

I've never trully been a fan of the F40, but the 959 is rare and interesting to me because it seems like it was always in the shadow of the car from Maranello. You don't hear about them much, and they seem like they were a technical marvel back in the day.

Plus I love the looks, even though admittedly it is effectively just a squashed 911.

I read an article of the F40 against the 430, and the F40 won. In the 80's it was the definition of supercar. Nobody could get CLOSE. Which includes the 959.
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by #3 Tasman Bloke View Post
    I read an article of the F40 against the 430, and the F40 won. In the 80's it was the definition of supercar. Nobody could get CLOSE. Which includes the 959.
    any kind of comparison between cars built in such different periods can't be equal or objective.
    first of all, they should have compared the F40 to the Enzo, and second, why to do that? I can't understand this pursue of the ultimate car without being fine to give to each car it's place regardless o the other cars.
    even comparing the four modern top of the line cars from Ferrari, fromt he 288 GTO to the Enzo, obviously the Enzo would be the fastes, the F50 probably the better compromise between lightness and power, the F40 the more famous, and the GTO the more ignored. does it mean something? uhm, no.
    even bringing the figures and specs of the cars wouldn't really help.
    alf of the were basically the best or among the best we could have at their respective time. comparing them now is senseless. I can stand comparing modern cars a la COTY, even if in the end it's always a biased judgment.
    for example, in last year or so, the Aston Martin DBS played really bad in the Evo COTY. They also stated the car was a pre-production one, and that even AM recognized it had some issues not related to the car's design but to the assembly and production. still the judged the car as rubbish, almost. Besides the fact I like the car and that I don't car if it is as focused as a 599 GTB because I'm not going to drive the DBS at a track day, I found the fact biased, the car has issues not related to it's nature, they told you it has a specific reason why it is so, and still you don't consider it in the final judgment. on the other hand the Murcielago LP640 stopped working in a mysterious white smoke in the middle of the test, still they gave the car the 3rd position (iirc).
    I can figure why a young folk which just lately entered the car world want to read all these kind of articles, I did it too, but after a while, I think it should be time to move and try to figure out our own ideas on those cars, even if obviously we aren't going to drive them even for 1 mile.
    Of course I need to read somewhere the DBS it's really not a perfect driver car, as usually required, but tbh, I never thought it was going to be a driver car. Knowing AM a little, their previous cars, their average customers, is it really a shock?
    going back to the F40, comparing it to a modern car no matter which, especially considering in which period the F40 was designed is completely pointless. probably the only requirement the F40 had to face was going tremendously fast, while now the situation is absolutely different.
    To those who read the thread and my previous posts, they know I had also arguments even against this very comparison with the 959, which in the end brings me to rant about the fact people always need their number ones and often also given by someone else, as if they couldn0t figured it out by themselves, let alone why they need a number one in first place.
    ranking everything available isn't something I usually understood.
    end of my 2 ranting cents.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I can figure why a young folk which just lately entered the car world want to read all these kind of articles, I did it too, but after a while, I think it should be time to move and try to figure out our own ideas on those cars, even if obviously we aren't going to drive them even for 1 mile.
    I agree with this completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    ranking everything available isn't something I usually understood.
    Becasue that's what we, blokes, do. We love listing things.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't find the need to list everything just a minimalistic way of judging; it's more like a way of trying to give sense and order to things. Don't take that too serious.