Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F40 VS Porsche 959?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You know, you've just described the point of the forum here.
    Yes, he has! What would be the fun if everyone would like the same cars. Only that would make unnecessary to list cars...
    Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    If you take it too seriously. If you just view these as a way of discussing your favorite cars compared to other peoples favorites, then it works out ok. At least for me. I actually have a lot of trouble listing a top 5 favorite cars or anything like that because it really is hard to put different cars (and all cars are different) on the same list. But I do like hearing what other people like or dislike about a car. Brings kind of a fresh viewpoint, especially when you can get people like 60valves to chip in.
    I absolutely agree, I just wouldn't mind more interesting reasons to prefer a car and not just the usual "top 5" based n look and specs.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt View Post
    A better comparison should have been "Ferrari 288 GTO and the Porsche 959". Both were built to similar rules (i.e. Group B).

My choice by the way is the Porsche 959.
    Also, the 288 was a much better looking car. But really, F40 vs. 959 is the classic debate so I think it's appropriate.

Anyway, my head says F40, but my heart says 959, which is sort of the opposite of what usually happens with Ferrari vs. Porsche polls...

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    But really, F40 vs. 959 is the classic debate so I think it's appropriate.
    Agreed, the comparison is fair. The 959 was also a track car, so it's a legitimate debate.

Both are brilliant cars but I tend to prefer the looks and raw nature of the F40. It's also significantly lighter than the 959 which is one of the first things I consider when deciding what car I would prefer. All of that being said, I prefer Porsche over Ferrari in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao Gois View Post
    So you were in Spain and took the chance to come to Portugal? Nice.
    One question. That grey car on page 42 is a Sbarro Challenge. Was it on the run too?? Coool.

Pleeeeease, if you ever pass in the Algarve again, give me a nod. Would it be asking too much to have even the smallest lift on the F40?
    Wasn't in the Algarve, but did take the F40 out on the track in Estoril last weekend:

YouTube - Ferrari F40 Trackday 1 of 2

YouTube - Ferrari F40 Trackday 2 of 2

Being both thrifty and German, as well as taking into account the fact that Porsche was the brand which sparked my automotive passion, I should be leaning towards the 959. However, there is just something about a Ferrari that grabs my attention and makes me want to be unfaithful. Its kind of like having a loving, dependable wife, but falling head over heels for the seductive "girl next door." Maybe its the egotistical prick inside me talking, but I'll have the F40 ....in red

porsche fanatic

I have to say the ferrari is better on the track than the porsche but the porsche is better on the streets. OH YEAH!! there were a little over 200 959s made making the porsche more rare and valuble the ferrari may be newer but is not a good every day super car. if i had a choice between a super car i could drive everyday it would be the porsche.

would you honestly drive a 959 everyday?
    likely the only difference is that you don't have to be as careful when planning those sunday drives.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The 959 was a show piece of what Porsche technology could do.

At the time it was truly astounding. Now it is a 997 Turbo with a much higher cost to run (engine out to change the plugs).

The F40's rawness will never be captured in a car built in much higher numbers, now it its styling wildness likely to be either.

The 959 is much rarer, but I don't believe it it more desirable (look at the prices they get).
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    The 959 was a show piece of what Porsche technology could do.

At the time it was truly astounding. Now it is a 997 Turbo with a much higher cost to run (engine out to change the plugs).

The F40's rawness will never be captured in a car built in much higher numbers, now it its styling wildness likely to be either.

The 959 is much rarer, but I don't believe it it more desirable (look at the prices they get).
    According to the market the Ferrari F40 is the more desirable of the two despite more than 4x as many produced. F40 currently command a premium of 50-80% over a 959.

Video: F40s at Mugello

One more reason, you are never going to see a gathering of Porsche 959s doing this:

Photo/Video Video: Ferrari F40 Mugello Track Event - Ferrari Life

roughly 40 F40s full out at Mugello

its same story over & over

which is better 997TT or F430
    Carrera GT or Enzo

Hahah, there'll be a comparo Porsche vs. Ferrari for as long as both makers are alive!