View Poll Results: Are you wathing?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not intersted.

12 63.16%
  • Yes.

3 15.79%
  • I'm generally interested but haven't been wathing the tournament for some reason.

4 21.05%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IIHF Moskow 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Whatever, screw it. I would say to my team that it was my country and they helped make me as good a player as I am - I gosta help them out. What exactly is the reason that Vinny and Marty aren't playing anyway?
    No reason given...but I'm guessing it had alot to do with Tortarella and the TB GM wanting them to rest and not take chances. I agree that supporting the country is important, its just when the pressure is there from management/ownership there's not alot you can do.

On a side note, the canucks dropped game three. Maybe if they didn't suck on the PP...

Sometimes I think about learning more about hockey and getting real into it and stuff, but then I remember I'd rather watch football or basketball.

I think that instead of every year their being IIHF hockey there should be a once every 4 years World Cup of Hockey (like the FIFA World Cup - and held offset 2 yeasr from the olympics) as the Olympics and the IIHF are not great ways of holding contests for the best in hockey wheras the World Cup could really be held at a time when all the NHL greats could participate in.
    I have to disagree. For me the yearly IIHF tournament is something I look forward to, especially since most tournaments end with a bitter aftertaste.
    It is my view that you should play for your country every time the call comes for you - hell, it is usually the development in your country that allows you to compete professionally anyways. Crosby should be there - he played with a broken foot in the playoffs, he can man up and do it for his nation in Moscow! The players that do not answer the call really piss me off. I would personally be excited to suit up for my country in any competition! What do you guys think?
    I agree, I have more respect for the players that really want to play for their nation and strive to do so year after year. But of course it's easy to judge when I'm not in that situation myself. It's really surprising how so many NHL players turned down the invitations this year. Look at Sweden for instance - one NHL player in the entire team! But as we all know a lot of big names does not guarantee success.
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    Norway FTW!!!!

Suckers!!
    You have my support!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Sometimes I think about learning more about hockey and getting real into it and stuff, but then I remember I'd rather watch football or basketball.
    We'll there's something for everyone I guess. Getting into hockey was a natural choice for me, I've always liked to play it myself and hence had my idols since I was a kid. Being a sport my country does well in did its part as well.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Norway deserved to win that game today. They played very good defensively clogging the neutral zone and Canada kept going for long passes and were failing - but bounced back in the 2nd and 3rd period. Hats off to Norway for playing so well!

BTW Pando, are you an SM-liiga fan? If so, what is your team?

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    We'll there's something for everyone I guess. Getting into hockey was a natural choice for me, I've always liked to play it myself and hence had my idols since I was a kid. Being a sport my country does well in did its part as well.
    Well also the NHL team from my area, the Chicago Blackhawks have sucked for a long time and the owner is real greedy and won't let games be televised unless they're sold out so none of them are televised and its hard for me to get into a sport if I can't sit back and watch it.

Norway deserved to win that game today. They played very good defensively clogging the neutral zone and Canada kept going for long passes and were failing - but bounced back in the 2nd and 3rd period. Hats off to Norway for playing so well!
    I missed the game but looking at the scores GER - NOR might be a close battle. Props to Denmark for beating Ukraine btw.
    BTW Pando, are you an SM-liiga fan? If so, what is your team?
    No, I'm not. I'm impressed you know about it though. When I was a kid I followed it for a few seasons, I used to support HIFK back then. But gradually my interest moved on to the NHL. From what I've heard the quality of SM-liiga is really top notch, some have even argued it's the second best hockey league. If one would follow the games one would surely know more about the stars of tomorrow, that's for sure. I have a few friends who follow the games and they usually brief me up on new players when they are drafted or play for the nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Well also the NHL team from my area, the Chicago Blackhawks have sucked for a long time and the owner is real greedy and won't let games be televised unless they're sold out so none of them are televised and its hard for me to get into a sport if I can't sit back and watch it.
    Yeah, from what I've heard the Blackhawks management is a big mess. You don't *have* to support the home team though.
    - Are YOU listed? -

I'm actually happy to see not all my predictions are coming true. Surprises rule!
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I'm actually happy to see not all my predictions are coming true. Surprises rule!
    So what is your team in the NHL if you have one, and how do you get the NHL over in Finland? Right now I am going to check up on the updated scores for the IIHF. Props to Canada for beating Slovakia, and props to Slovakia for playing well.

So what is your team in the NHL if you have one, and how do you get the NHL over in Finland?
    I used to be a Canadiens fan when I was a kid, but I guess it had more to do with the fact that I liked Patrick Roy back then. I've actually often been more of a fan of the players than the teams. These days, if I had to chose a team it'd be the Bruins - but that has little to do with their hockey team or players. As with all sports in the NHL I'm all for surprises and hence I'm prone to root for the underdog and dislike teams that have been dominating for longer periods of time.

We have a few channels that broadcast the games live, with original or Finnish/Swedish commentary, but no free ones. The Finnish channels sometimes show the highlights and a bit later in the play-offs full games. Then there of course is the internet, and teletext which are my main tools for following the league.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Teletext is off the hook! I use it at my Scottish Grandparents house when I visit to keep track of the games as I don;t have acess to the internet when I am over there.

Who are a few of your favourite players - and why in hell do you like the Bruins? Leafs FTW!

Your countryman Aki Berg never did shit for us but he always played great for Finland! Conspiricy!

Your countryman Aki Berg never did shit for us but he always played great for Finland! Conspiricy!
    Can't remember that happening, I've never understood why he's always in the world championship team. I like his first name (the whole one) though .

this thread is useless without interest!

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    Can't remember that happening, I've never understood why he's always in the world championship team. I like his first name (the whole one) though .
    Aki-Petteri Berg?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    this thread is useless without interest!
    You smell.

Aki-Petteri Berg?
    Yeah, I carry the same combination.

I'm quite happy with the tournament so far. Although there hasn't been many big surprises, the matches between the bigger hockey countries have been pretty even. At least those that I've seen in tv.

Who are a few of your favourite players
    Tough question. The first few that come to mind from this season are Niko Kapanen, Mikko Koivu and JJ (Jussi Jokinen) and for the goalies Lehtonen. It's funny to notice I've started looking at NHL hockey from a Finnish perspective... Crap, I'm biased. So just to name a few international players as well; Alexander Ovechkin, Martin St. Louis, Rick Nash, J-S Giguere...
    - and why in hell do you like the Bruins? Leafs FTW!
    Like I said, little to do with the hockey team... I've never been to Toronto, but I do like the Leafs as well. They'd deserve to do win every now and then.
    I have to agree with twinspark on this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    ...Berg is one of the few players (since Helminen finally quit) that I don't really think belongs in the team.
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information