Thread: DKW 3=6 (F91/F93/F94) 1953-1959

DKW 3=6 (F91/F93/F94) 1953-1959

Dkw 3=6 #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The DKW 3=6 was a compact front-wheel drive saloon manufactured by Auto Union AG. The car was launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in March 1953 and sold until 1959. It was also named as the DKW Sonderklasse and, following the factory project number, as the DKW F91. From 1958, by which year the car’s successor was already being sold and the earlier version had therefore become, in essence, a ‘run-out’ model, it was badged more simply as the DKW 900.

Apart from complications involving its naming, the 3=6’s notable features included its two-stroke engine and front-wheel drive layout along with the sure-footed handing that resulted.

In a market segment increasingly dominated by the Volkswagen Beetle, the Auto Union contender also boasted class leading interior space, especially after the arrival of the four-door version, which featured a modestly extended wheelbase.

The DKW 3=6 in due course replaced the DKW F89 / Meisterklasse, although the Meisterklasse remained in production until April 1954. In its turn, the 3=6 was succeeded by the more powerful Auto Union 1000, offered already from 1957.

Source: wikipedia.org
    Visca Catalunya!

Visca Catalunya!

DKW 3=6 #3
    Visca Catalunya!

DKW 3=6 #4
    Visca Catalunya!

That name annoyed the hell out of me so I went to ask the teenagers why the hell the Germans, of all people, would name a car "3=6".

Apparently the marketing department were trying to say that a two-stroke triple, has as many cylinders fire per crank revolution as a four-cycle six cylinder. Therefore, despite having a three-cylinder engine, it actually was six-cylindered. Perhaps this car is the proto-premium German car.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    That name annoyed the hell out of me so I went to ask the teenagers why the hell the Germans, of all people, would name a car "3=6".

Apparently the marketing department were trying to say that a two-stroke triple, has as many cylinders fire per crank revolution as a four-cycle six cylinder. Therefore, despite having a three-cylinder engine, it actually was six-cylindered. Perhaps this car is the proto-premium German car.
    As in an front wheel drive, understeer, uncomfortable, over priced sort of way?

Well this is technically the great grand father of the modern Audi car, so who knows!
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    As in an front wheel drive, understeer, uncomfortable, over priced sort of way?

Well this is technically the great grand father of the modern Audi car, so who knows!
    ... and the letters, numbers, and characters on the trunk have only the most tenuous of connections with reality.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information