View Poll Results: How do you feel about current car design trends? (Especially sports cars)

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bigger is better, regardless of weight/efficiency. As long as there is more power.

10 11.24%
  • I miss the old days of sports car design. Gimme a Lotus Elise anyday

61 68.54%
  • I don't particularly care, as long as cars still work.

10 11.24%
  • Yo. My Cavalier is tHa best/fastest caR evAr.

8 8.99%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of small cars...

I'll concede that point. There is plenty of fun to be had throwing tons of power around. But, Ferrari and Lambo are not sports cars. They are dream machines and for an average joe like me with a poor job I'll never afford one. A sports car must be small and built for the joy of a twisting mountain road. Not a $200 000 engine with a fancy frame and leather seats they are in a leauge of their own. So really this post needs to define what a "sports car" really is. Hint Hint Egg Nog
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Yes this post needs to define what "its" definition of a sports car is. Excluding Lambos and Furries because they dont adhere to your criteria does not mean they are not sports cars. Lets have a definition from an authoratative source. No offence intended.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

None Taken.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

i think a sports car should excell in ALL areas of performance. Is that wrong? Something that handles well, has a good amount of power, and at the end of the day is still able to drive home on its own power. I love small sportscars but they seem to be hideously underpowered. There's nothing wrong with sacrificing 100 lbs to gain vast horsepower and more torgue. Therein lies my problem with lotus. Great cars, but not much oomph. I loved the exige but they discontinued it.

Also, have you ever seen a lotus europa? How can you say it's a real sports car? It's made for midgets or something. I swear i could fit it in the back of my CIVIC as an escape pod. And with a whopping 60 hp you better hope there's no one in the passenger side and your golf clubs aren't in the back (assuming they fit), otherwise good luck getting up that hill.

I once heard a qoute that said something like the 1960-70s were a bleak era for cars, your options were either straight line muscle cars or british sportsters that couldn't outrun the family wagon that didn't even know it was racing.

there's nothing wrong with small cars, but a larger car allows for more creature comforts that people want. That elise is nice, but does it have ac? I bet the corvette does. I'll stick to dreaming of the 360 modena before i go for the toyota MR2. I can't afford either, so why not go big?
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

I have posted this pic many times but it says it all. Too big, too powerful too ugly. Perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

the scary part is it weighs just 1200lbs... when i look at that car i think motorcycle in car form, its power to weight is probly better than most motorcycles
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

are you sure its that light, i dont think even F1's are 1200lbs
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    are you sure its that light, i dont think even F1's are 1200lbs

I think he meant 1200 kg's. Time for the Ango Saxon world to go metric isn't it, to avoid further confusion.

1200kg sounds more like it, but thats still featherweight in supercar territory, i think the SLR tipps the scales at over 1600kg
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    1200kg sounds more like it, but thats still featherweight in supercar territory, i think the SLR tipps the scales at over 1600kg
    but that's equipped with all sorts of comfort oriented devices which the TVR is most likely lacking.

The world of small, fast, light, powerful cars is still around! Its just now you have to build your own!
    The K1 Attack has up to 400 bhp and weights 850kg!
    The GTM Libra and Spyder weights 700kg and has up to 210bhp!
    The Marlin 5EXI....well i dont actually know the spec for this but i sure does look good (well maybe they are not the greatest colours so you'll have to trust me on this that it can look good.)!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Suka; 01-25-2004 at 05:00 AM.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

and don't forget the fastest of them ....

RADICAL S3.
    1300cc bike engine, 510Kg
    490kg in race spec.

"a road-legal* SR3 Tracksport has lapped the BBC's Top Gear test circuit in 1 minute 15 seconds, eight seconds faster than it's nearest rival, the Pagani Zonda. The same car lapped EVO magazine's test track in the wet, 11 seconds faster than a Porsche GT3's dry lap time."

I want one for the track

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I want one for the track
    I would want one for the track too, but not for the street ... no room for a 500kg car in a world full of 2200kg SUVs. I think the safest place for racecars is on racetracks, at least until they cap the weight of passenger vehicles to level the playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I would want one for the track too, but not for the street ... no room for a 500kg car in a world full of 2200kg SUVs. I think the safest place for racecars is on racetracks, at least until they cap the weight of passenger vehicles to level the playing field.
    yep, it's starting to get that way over here too.
    Plenty of light cars around with smart deformation construction to preotect passengeres and then introduce a few US/Japanese TANKS and they're mass makes intelligent engineering a waste of time

Thread Information