Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blackhawk Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Blackhawk Collection

The Blackhawk Museum is one of the more prominent car collections in the United States. Located in Danville, CA, they have a constantly shifting stock of Brass Era to Modern cars. There are several cars that are permanent in the museum, and quite a few more that are permanent in the collection, but travel to various concourses throughout the year.

I have regular access to the museum, visiting every month or 2, so I will be using this thread as a repository for miscellaneous cars that i don't want to start a specific thread for. I hope you all enjoy, and if you have any shots from this fantastic museum please feel free to add them.

BTW, I apologize in advance for the dodgy quality of the shots. The lighting is horrible, and there is a strict no tripod rule.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Bugatti Type 15, 1913

A development of the Type 13, this had a 1327cc 8 valve Inline 4 engine, producing approximately 15 horsepower. 1913 was the first year of the oval shaped grill that would eventually turn into the Horseshoe shaped grill we are all familiar with.
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 03-09-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Alfa-Romeo 8C-2300 Figoni Tourer, 1933

This car was bodied by Joseph Figoni, famed french coachbuilder of Figoni et Falaschi fame. This is one of a small number of Alfas built by Figoni, who had also bodied the 8C-2300 that won the 1932 Le Mans 24 hour race. These cars do not carry the traditional build plate found on other Figoni cars.

Packard Model 1609, Kellner Torpedo Cabriolet, 1938

This car is a case of an older coachbuilt car having been stripped of its body and placed on a new chassis. This body was most likely built on a Renault from the mid-20s, then put on the new Packard chassis in 1938. This chassis contains the 473 cubic inch Packard V-12, producing 175 horsepower, and is also adorned with a Lalique crystal hood ornament.

Lagonda V-12 Drophead Coupe, 1939

A proper Lagonda.

Producing 180 horsepower, this cars 273 cubic inch V-12 was designed by W.O. Bentley
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 03-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Maserati 5000 GT

Excellent cars, excellent thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    A proper Lagonda.
    Indeed.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

you managed to take some excellent shots despite the setting.
    thanks for sharing cmc!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

thanks... and more to come.

Dodge Firearrow II, 1954

Concept car designed bi Virgil Exner and built by Ghia in Turin. This car is build on a stock 119 inch Dodge chassis with a 241 cubic inch, 150 horsepower, Red Ram Hemi. This car traveled around the country, being a feature at all major American car shows in 1954.

Dodge Firearrow IV, 1954

This car was also designed by Virgil Exner and built by Ghia on a stock chassis and engine. This car was a much more production ready car than the II, with a roof, actual storage spaces, and a windshield designed to be functional.

The interior is my favorite part, with styling out of a 50s Drive-in Cafe.

Dodge Firebomb, 1955

Another Exner design, this was the prototype for the Dual Ghia. It was introduced to the motoring press at Grosse Point Yacht Club on 28 June 1955. After the cars completion Gene Casaroll, owner of Dual Motor Company, purchased the design and rights to the car and entered it into limited production. This car was also built by Ghia in Turin, and featured a 331 cubic inch Dodge Hemi, as opposed to the Chrysler engine in the production Dual Ghia.

Porsche 959 Prototype, 1983
    From the Shigeru Harada collection of Tokyo

This is the only remaining example of the three 959 prototypes. The other two were destroyed in required crash tests. This car remained in Dr. Porsche's personal collection until 1990 when he sold it to a Japanese collector, and it has remained in Japanese hands ever since.

The car looks very good in person, although the cover on the steering wheel hub is missing. It is parked next to a 1967 911 S race car, which may get a post later on. It was an excellent juxtaposition of old, and not-quite-as-old. both stunning cars in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    The Blackhawk Museum is one of the more prominent car collections in the United States. Located in Danville, CA, they have a constantly shifting stock of Brass Era to Modern cars. There are several cars that are permanent in the museum, and quite a few more that are permanent in the collection, but travel to various concourses throughout the year.

I have regular access to the museum, visiting every month or 2, so I will be using this thread as a repository for miscellaneous cars that i don't want to start a specific thread for. I hope you all enjoy, and if you have any shots from this fantastic museum please feel free to add them.

BTW, I apologize in advance for the dodgy quality of the shots. The lighting is horrible, and there is a strict no tripod rule.
    Very cool. What lens(es?) were you using? I will be getting the 35mm 1.8 when it comes out at J and R. Did you up the ISO as well? How about monopods?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Very cool. What lens(es?) were you using? I will be getting the 35mm 1.8 when it comes out at J and R. Did you up the ISO as well? How about monopods?
    sigma 18-50, crap lens. need a new one. iso was 800 for a few, but 1600 for most shots. no monopods allowed either.

Maserati Ghibli
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 03-09-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Thread Information