Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrysler lights hi-po wick with 300C

Chrysler lights hi-po wick with 300C

Monstrous V8 muscle and keen pricing lands Chrysler 300C directly in Statesman turf

By MARTON PETTENDY 8 November 2005

CHRYSLER’S first large sedan since the 1981 Valiant has been launched Down Under, bringing a new dimension – and monstrous V8 mumbo - to the brand in Australia from this month.

Unlike the humble Valiant, which was powered by a 4.0-litre inline six, the first HEMI V8-engined Chrysler car for 50 years will offer both V6 and V8 urge to rival Australia’s two big rear-drive sedans.

As previously announced, Chrysler’s new flagship will be keenly priced, with the V6 opening Chrysler Jeep Australia/Pacific’s auto-only 300C range at $53,990. It will become available just after the V8 in mid-November.

That’s up slightly on both Holden’s $53,290 Calais V6 and Ford’s $52,860 Fairmont Ghia - but significantly undercuts the biggest Aussie six-cylinders in Statesman ($56,550) and Fairlane ($58,625).

Meantime, the 5.7-litre HEMI V8-equipped flagship will sell at $59,990 which, again, positions it mid-way between Calais V8 ($57,990) and Statesman V8 ($61,390), and Fairmont Ghia V8 ($57,105) and Fairlane V8 ($65,405).

With a longer wheelbase but shorter overall length than both Statesman and Fairlane, CJA/P claims 300C will also vie for customers with HSV and FPV models as well as European large cars like Audi’s A6, which sells from about $80,000 in 2.4-litre V6 guise.

The 183kW/340Nm 3.5-litre SOHC V6 version falls short of the 190kW of peak power offered by both Calais/Statesman and Fairmont Ghia/Fairlane, though it matches the Alloytec V6’s torque output.

And while a claimed fuel consumption figure of 11.0L/100km suggest it’s more frugal than both Calais (11.5L/100km) and Statesman (12.0L/100km), it’s neither as torquey nor as economical as Ford’s new six-speed auto-equipped Fairmont Ghia (10.2L/100km) or Fairlane (10.4L/100km).

However, with 250kW available at 5000rpm and a stump-extracting 525Nm of torque on tap from 4000rpm, the HEMI V8 makes a far more compelling argument.

For starters, it delivers more power and torque than Fairmont Ghia (220kW/470Nm), Fairlane G8 (230kW/500Nm), Calais V8 (235kW/460Nm) and Statesman V8 (245kW/465Nm).

But the 300C range-topper’s Multi-Displacement System (MDS), which shuts down up to four cylinders when not required, also helps the 5.7 HEMI return 20 per cent lower, V6-like fuel consumption of just 12.1L/100km.

While that’s not as efficient as the 4.2-litre V8 fitted to the $145,900 A6 4.2 quattro (11.8L/100km), it’s substantially better than Statesman V8 (12.9), Calais V8 (13.4), Fairlane G8 (13.2) and Fairmont Ghia V8 (13.3).

Despite a hefty kerb weight of 1910kg (V6: 1815kg), a Mercedes-Benz sourced five-speed auto with AutoStick manual-shift mode propels the 300C V8 to 100km/h in a blisteringly quick 6.4 seconds (V6: 9.2 seconds).

Based on the popular "Letter Series" Chryslers first launched in 1955, the 300C’s bold, wheel-at-each corner stance is backed up by an extensive standard safety and equipment list.

The former comprises ESP stability control, TCS traction control, anti-lock brakes, brake assist, twin multi-stage front airbags, front and rear side curtain airbags and front seatbelt pretensioners, all of which helped 300C to gain a maximum five-star National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash rating in the US. The 300C is yet to be crash tested by European NCAP.

Further occupant safety systems include rear parking assistance, Xenon HID headlights with washers, rain-sensing wipers, one-touch indicators, a security alarm with interior monitoring, battery saver and 18-inch double-five-spoke alloy wheels with a tyre pressure monitoring system.

Convenience features standard on all 300Cs include full leather trim, heated front seats with lumbar and eight-way power adjustment, driver’s seat/mirror/radio preset memory, dual-zone climate control, electrochromic interior and driver’s mirror, auto up/down front windows, trip computer and a 500-litre boot accessed by a 60/40-split folding rear seat.

While 300C V6 offers a 276-watt six-speaker Boston Acoustics sound system, a premium seven-speaker version with 368-watt output and six-CD stacker is standard in the V8.

Similarly, in place of the V8’s California walnut interior highlights (steering wheel and armrests), the V6 gets patented tortoise shell interior accents. The only options are premium paint and a sunroof.

Based on a dedicated new platform and built in right-hand drive exclusively at Magna Steyr’s Graz plant in Austria (alongside the Grand Voyager and Jeep’s new Grand Cherokee) 300C is built for North American markets in Chrysler’s Ontario plat in Canada.

Though some of its components – including its short and long arm front and five-link rear suspension units, wiring and rack-and-pinion steering – are based on Mercedes-Benz designs, 300C is the first volume-production model designed completely under the Chrysler Development System.

Claimed to be the most awarded new car in US history, 300C has attracted more than 200,000 customers globally since its April 2004 release in the US and Europe, and has generated unprecedented interest in the Chrysler brand locally.

Interest in the model has consistently spiked following its appearance as the safety car at this year’s V8Supercar rounds, with the 300C website attracting a total of 51,000 visitors and peaking after the reveal of pricing prior to Bathurst.

CJA/P says that interest has boomed despite rising fuel prices, and that the HEMI V8 version is forecast to attract 60 per cent of the 1400 buyers it expects in the first 12 months of sales, making 300C Chrysler's biggest seller here.

Chrysler to lead SRT charge
    A STREET and Racing Technology version of the 300C is just one of a number of other 300C variants expected to join the brand’s Australian line-up.

Powered by a 317kW 6.1-litre version of the HEMI V8 and capable of sprinting to 100km/h in around five seconds, the 300C SRT-8 would be the performance king of Chrysler’s flagship 300C sedan, rivalling BMW’s M5 and the Benz E55.

Both SRT-8 and turbo-diesel variants of the 300C – employing a version of the 160kW/510Nm 3.0-litre V6 oil burner found in Grand Cherokee and the new Mercedes-Benz M-class – remain "under study" by Chrysler Jeep Australia/Pacific.

CJA/P is happier to talk about the wagon derivative of 300C, dubbed Touring – the local future of which will be known within three months.

"The business case is good for 300C Touring," said CJA/P managing director Gerry Jenkins. "We feel it’s important to add variants to grow the model range.

"The business case has been submitted and we’re expecting a response by January. We’ve had a great response to first SRT (6) in Crossfire, too."

Next in Chrysler’s Australian model rollout is a facelifted PT Cruiser in November, followed by the PT Cabrio around mid-2006, while Brabus performance accessories are also on the menu for 300C.

What’s coming from Chrysler:
    PT Cruiser facelift - November
    PT Cabrio – June 2006
    300C Touring - mid-2006
    300C diesel – TBC
    300C SRT-8 TBC

The only people in the crowd that commented at V8 races were asking what that POS was.
    The cars i seen as pace cars didnt look crash hot, They didnt seem to go great also, Very loud and crackle like sound from them but they did rumble the bridge when going under us.
    I guess time will tell if there any good, They are priced right thats for sure some U.S cars in the past have been so far out in price.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Well, it is interesting to know that Chrysler is considering the diesel. 3.2 litre CDi V6, with 218 BHP and 510 NM torque. Reviews in Europe put it on par with the Hemi is terms of smoothness and pulling power, and much better than the V6. You may be able to achieve a mileage of less than 8 litre per 10 km.

Should be the ideal new car for Crisis
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

there is no way the SRT-8 version of this should even be MENTIONED in the same sentence as a 55 AMG M5, let alone compared to. It'd struggle to keep up with a GT or R8. Top Gear hated it, they said the steering had no feel, the brakes were shit and built to the lowest bid, and the suspension was terrible, way to soft

That was the standard one they tested, but yea.

You know what Top Gear are like though. They call Mercs rubbish. Your typical aussie/kiwi whos gunna buy this isn't gunna give a continetal shit about lifeless steering, really. I think it'll do well but not as well as it should.

The 6.1 317kw v8 sounds good, thats about all its got going for it IMO
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Id say people are gonna go for the 300C over statesman and Fairlane for sure....its unique theres not much like it here...actually theres nothing like it here...fairlane and statesman need to stand out more...
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I also remember Top Gear drving the F250 he was going on about it like he loved it. Then he said it was a peace of shit .
    If anyone has seen or herd the V8 pace cars you will know what i am talkiing about they sound shit and go shit really.
    But look the 380 is claimed to be a Real Aussie car and it forgot 2 things that would make it that. RWD-V8. This car hasnt it's big RWD V8 V6 it's got some things that will allow it to fit in here nice i think. But you will never see one in my drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Pettendy
    Unlike the humble Valiant, which was powered by a 4.0-litre inline six, the first HEMI V8-engined Chrysler car for 50 years will offer both V6 and V8 urge to rival Australia’s two big rear-drive sedans.
    Good one you fool Pettendy you forgot 4.3, 5.2, 5.4 & 5.9 litre Valiants. Or that Valiant's ancient 4.3 Hemi 6 Pack (6cyl) would obliterate this new 'semi-hemi' V8 in performance
    And while a claimed fuel consumption figure of 11.0L/100km suggest it’s more frugal than both Calais (11.5L/100km) and Statesman (12.0L/100km), it’s neither as torquey nor as economical as Ford’s new six-speed auto-equipped Fairmont Ghia (10.2L/100km) or Fairlane (10.4L/100km).

But the 300C range-topper’s Multi-Displacement System (MDS), which shuts down up to four cylinders when not required, also helps the 5.7 HEMI return 20 per cent lower, V6-like fuel consumption of just 12.1L/100km.

While that’s not as efficient as the 4.2-litre V8 fitted to the $145,900 A6 4.2 quattro (11.8L/100km), it’s substantially better than Statesman V8 (12.9), Calais V8 (13.4), Fairlane G8 (13.2) and Fairmont Ghia V8 (13.3).
    Every local test I've read so far reckons that the 12.1L/100km claim is completely unrealistic .. try 15+ even in sedate-mode driving

the V8 in my dads calais does about 14L/100km, and that's driven sedately. So i wonder how much these claims will change

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Id say people are gonna go for the 300C over statesman and Fairlane for sure....its unique theres not much like it here...actually theres nothing like it here...fairlane and statesman need to stand out more...
    The fairlane and statesman are pretty bland,but thats the market their catered for the mid management 50year old, the 300c sure looks different . Still think the fairlane and statesman will drive better.
    The jurno who wrote the story is a c--khead,how dare he bag the 265 and 245 hemi they were fantastic motors in their day
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    the V8 in my dads calais does about 14L/100km, and that's driven sedately. So i wonder how much these claims will change
    What happened to 99.9 L per 100
    MY car on best guess runs 17-18L per 100.

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    The fairlane and statesman are pretty bland,but thats the market their catered for the mid management 50year old, the 300c sure looks different . Still think the fairlane and statesman will drive better.
    The jurno who wrote the story is a c--khead,how dare he bag the 265 and 245 hemi they were fantastic motors in their day
    I would hit the Caprice before the statesman.
    Going back 5 years i always hated the Caprice i thought it was ugly bad and the statesman was the best looking one. Now Holdens gave the Caprice a real style it's hot and motors on sweet.

A parent at my daughters school has a Statesman thats been lowered with big wheels and really looks the business.

The Buss man on speed I would love a 2000 Statesman just it's to big for me and my family of 1 I drive 70% of the time by myself and mum would be scared bad to drive a LWB model.
    I got a book somewhere of a 99 Statesman V6 S/C with 20" rims lowererd somewhere??? Need a scanner.

Thread Information