Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Audi R8 Spyder (42) 2009-

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Scud?
    That's apples and oranges, Kitdy.
    I didn't make the comparison, Car and Driver did.

That's dumb. The normal F430 would be more than a match for the Audi, there is no need to ruin livability with the Scud.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

That's dumb. The normal F430 would be more than a match for the Audi, there is no need to ruin livability with the Scud.
    It's not like four wheel drive automatically gives you something more liveable, or viceversa though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Was that the Car and Driver comparison? I saw it in the store. Another thing that has to be considered is that the R8 is probably much more liveable and friendly than the Scud - I don't think it's meant to be as hard.

Can you elaborate on the article?

Everyone's starting to sound like Ferrer around here.
    Yup. They did comment that the scud has more comfortable seats, even for extended periods of time. As far as I'm concerned the scud has pretty much everything needed in a car, but I am a rare breed. Radio in my Jeep went out years ago due to severe water logging (long story, but it is a Jeep) and I haven't noticed the absence that much.

For your viewing pleasure.

2010 Audi R8 5.2 V10 FSI Quattro vs. 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia - Video - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Edit: In case you found the voice on the video annoying, or wanted more info, here's the whole article. I think the writing's gone downhill since most of the people left (quit? were fired?) but it's better than nothing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Scud?
    That's apples and oranges, Kitdy.
    They compared the V10 R8 and the Scud, I think they picked the scud to try to match the power of the R8.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    paradoxically the closer something gets to perfection the more glaring it's faults become.. ferrer might be arguing over something relatively minor buuuut if you're in this great car on a mountain road and it just niggles at the back of your head..
    Sad but true. Why we may never truly achieve perfection. Notably, women have the problem worse than men.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 09-13-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I think that articles saying the R8 V8 is great to drive and wonderful to live with is something apart from the V10 version.. mainly because of the price of entry. For the daily grind some a bit of 'this is great to thrash a a bit' the V8's probably most excellent in its price bracket. Maybe the V10 has stiffer competition and being merely competent isn't going to cut it up there.

Keep in mind I've not read much about either, so I'm merely speculating here.

Is the R8 really that much better in everyday duties than a 911 or a V8 Vantage?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Is the R8 really that much better in everyday duties than a 911 or a V8 Vantage?
    Potentially not, but it brings other things to the table.

Which 911 do you have in mind?

I'm reading the comparison article now. Here's a bit that made me think of Leon:

Somewhere in every Italian’s brain, tucked away between “secret to cooking perfectly firm pasta” and “how to wear pastel-colored pants without looking like a complete jerk” is the “love Ferrari” file.
    I don't think any of those things fit him at all.

Potentially not, but it brings other things to the table.

Which 911 do you have in mind?

I'm reading the comparison article now. Here's a bit that made me think of Leon:

I don't think any of those things fit him at all.
    Well actually, where the hell is he?

On the other hand, yes the R8 brings something new to the table, and it is indeed very Audish. But I can't still see the point of four wheel drive. It'd probably be just as usable being rear wheel drive while at the same time delivering a better driving experience.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well actually, where the hell is he?

On the other hand, yes the R8 brings something new to the table, and it is indeed very Audish. But I can't still see the point of four wheel drive. It'd probably be just as usable being rear wheel drive while at the same time delivering a better driving experience.
    He is doing some university stuff and will hopefully come back.

Audi had to make it all wheel drive. Maybe it'd be better without it but it had to be. AWD works pretty well for the GT-R - maybe it doesn't drive as well but that's more of a purist thing. The R8 I think has achieved it's goal of being a well balanced livable sportscar - and then some.

Concerning the comparison with the Scud, would you go for the Ferrari or take the Audi? Keep in mind, that Audi is gonna be much more practical on daily drives and I know that's something you care about.

Audi had to make it all wheel drive. Maybe it'd be better without it but it had to be. AWD works pretty well for the GT-R - maybe it doesn't drive as well but that's more of a purist thing. The R8 I think has achieved it's goal of being a well balanced livable sportscar - and then some.

Concerning the comparison with the Scud, would you go for the Ferrari or take the Audi? Keep in mind, that Audi is gonna be much more practical on daily drives and I know that's something you care about.
    I'd go for none. Two wheel drive 911 for me. Or the GranTurismo.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd go for none. Two wheel drive 911 for me.
    Second.

Scuderia also fails with paddle-box.

I'd go for none. Two wheel drive 911 for me. Or the GranTurismo.
    Fine. Which 911? Would you take said 911 over the GranTurismo?

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Second.

Scuderia also fails with paddle-box.
    Shut up American Ferrer.

Carrera or Carrera S, any would do nicely. But to decide if I'd get one over the Maser I'd have to test drive both. Altough having an auto in an italian car rather puts me off.
    Visca Catalunya!

I could see making the R8 AWD, but then they should make the gallardo RWD. Give us something.

I'd go for the Scud. I would never buy a car that's over (possibly way over) $100,000 because it's more practical or cheaper to drive. It is perfectly possible to drive a Scuderia on the street if you're in the mood, but I think it would be far more fulfilling to drive fast than an R8, even with the flappy paddle gearbox. Then if you want something with good mileage as a grocery getter (something even the R8 and 911s aren't ideal for) there are a ton of other cheaper options where you don't have to worry about getting rear ended or somethign else stupid like that. Even a 911, which I think is more practical than an R8, is almost never an only car so why pretend?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

second hand GT3.. i could live with that..
    but i do love the gran turismo so much. can i have one with a gated manual?

Shut up American Ferrer
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I could see making the R8 AWD, but then they should make the gallardo RWD. Give us something.
    i agree, but on the other hand..lambo's and their owners have sort of always been a bit syle over substance, so i'm okay with it being AWD considering who they cater for. if being more useable to more ham fisted clods means lambo can make more cars and occaisonally spurt out the LP670-2 and the balboni, so be it
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I would never buy a car that's over (possibly way over) $100,000 because it's more practical or cheaper to drive. It is perfectly possible to drive a Scuderia on the street if you're in the mood, but I think it would be far more fulfilling to drive fast than an R8, even with the flappy paddle gearbox.
    this. only minus the scud bit, because for that money the car needs to be a little less grotesque..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information