Thread: V8 Supercars: Round 4 Eastern Creek

V8 Supercars: Round 4 Eastern Creek

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/l...nd=M&gid=16731

Eastern Creek facts and figures
    Release Date: 24/05/2005
    The following are details relating to this weekend’s fourth round of the V8 Supercar Championship Series at Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney. Also find following thoughts, results and memorable moments from both Pirtek Racing’s Marcos Ambrose and Caltex Racing’s Russell Ingall.

INTERESTING POINTS

* Marcos Ambrose clinched back-to-back V8 Supercar championships in his Pirtek Ford in the final round of the series at Eastern Creek last year.

* Russell Ingall jumped from fourth to second place in the final round last season in his Caltex Falcon to give Stone Brothers Racing and historic 1-2 finish.

* In six previous round appearances at Eastern Creek Ambrose has only qualified off the front row once and has never finished worse than seventh overall. In his 12 race starts he has never finished worse than 13th.

* While Russell Ingall is sitting second in the overall championship to Marcos Ambrose by 11 points – he is actually leading the title chase by 25 points when you deduct the worst result of the opening three rounds. Each driver will deducted his worst round from the opening 10 rounds of the championship. The final three rounds will all count towards the final championship tally.

* Russell Ingall is coming off a race-three win at Barbagallo Raceway in Perth three weeks ago where he finished second overall to Steve Richards and one place overall ahead of Marcos Ambrose. It was Ingall’s first race victory in WA and his best overall result.

* Stone Brothers Racing conducted a success test at Queensland Raceway on Friday with both Ingall and Ambrose showing plenty of pace.

THOUGHTS ON EASTERN CREEK…..

MARCOS AMBROSE – PIRTEK RACING
    Eastern Creek is a frustrating track because whenever you ever drive on it, it feels like you should be going the other way. All the corners over the back all have kinks before the entry, which makes it difficult to pass. While saying that, it is safe, wide and has good amenities for the fans and the teams, so I actually enjoy going there. We have had some tremendous success there the last couple of years so that increases your attraction to a circuit.

MOST MEMOR ABLE MOMENT
    I guess Eastern Creek is pretty special place for me because that is where I have clinched my two V8 Supercar championships. Last year we managed to do it on the Saturday evening and then have some fun on the Sunday. If things work out for me in the US this could be the last time I race at the circuit for a long time. It was pretty cool on the Sunday last year because Russell managed to jump up to second and give SBR an amazing 1-2 finish in the championship. It was the first time that had been done for a long time.

CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS
    MARCOS AMBROSE – DETAILS & CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS
    Current Points: 519 (1st)
    Born: September 1, 1976
    Car: Pirtek BA Falcon
    Number: 1
    V8 Supercar debut: 2001
    2004 Championship: 1st
    Round Starts: 55

Poles: 16 – Eastern Creek (Rd 13), Queensland 300, Eastern Creek (2004); Sandown, Oran Park, Queensland Raceway, Winton, Eastern Creek (2003); Phillip Island, Oran Park, Winton, Qld 500, Sandown (2002); Eastern Creek, Qld 500, Bathurst (2001)
    Race wins: 23 (Last win – Race 2 – Adelaide Clipsal 500 -Round 1, 2005)

Round wins: 14 – Adelaide Clipsal 500 (2005), Eastern Creek (Rd 13), Sandown 500, Oran Park, Queensland 300, Adelaide Clipsal 500 (2004); Eastern Creek, Oran Park, Hidden Valley, Barbagallo, Winton, Eastern Creek (2003), Sandown (2002); Hidden Valley (2001)

V8 Championship Results: 1st (2004); 1st (2003); 3rd (2002); 7th (2001); Other Major V8 Supercar Results: 1st Sandown 500 (2004); V8 Supercar Rookie of the Year (2001)

Career highlights: 1st European Formula Ford championship (2000); 2nd Australian Formula Ford Championship (1997); 1999 British Formula Ford Championship (3rd)

EASTERN CREEK RECORD
    2004 – November – Qualified: 1st; Race 1: 1st; Race 2: 1st; Race 3: 1st; Overall: 1st
    2004 – May - Qualified: 1st; Race 1: 7th; Overall: 7th
    2003 – November - Qualified 4th; Race 1: 1st; Race 2: 1st; Overall: 1st
    2003 – May - Qualified 1st; Race 1: 1st; Overall 1st
    2002 – Qualified 2nd; Race 1: 2nd; Race 2: 2nd; Race 3: 4th; Overall: 2nd
    2001 – Qualified 1st; Race 1: 13th; Race 2: 6th; Overall: 7th

THOUGHTS ON EASTERN CREEK…..

RUSSELL INGALL – CALTEX RACING
    Eastern Creek is a little bit like Phillip Island in that if you have a dog of a car it is not a nice place to be. Considering it is not one of my favourite circuits I always have reasonable results there. It is not a hard track to win on if you have the right toy to play with.

MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT
    There is no doubt that managing to jump to second place in the championship behind Marcos at the final round last year was something pretty special. The Caltex team just worked its butt off all weekend and refused to give up. In the end all I had to do was sit behind (Mark) Skaife and finish third in the final race to give SBR a 1-2 finish in the championship. Skaife and I got a bit too close to each other at Eastern Creek the year before, but that is something I would rather forget about.

CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS (After Round 1, 2004)
    Current Points: 508 (2nd)
    Born: February 2, 1964
    Car: Caltex BA Falcon
    Number: 9
    V8 Supercar debut: 1996
    2004 Championship: 2nd
    Round Starts: 111

Poles: 1 Winton (2001)

Race wins: 25 (Last Win – Race 3, Barbagallo Raceway, WA, 2005)

Round wins: 11 – Symmons Plains (2004); Surfers Paradise (2003) Queensland Raceway (2003), Winton (2001); Qld 500 (1999); Lakeside, Mallala, Hidden Valley (1998); Phillip Island, Winton (1997); Calder (1996)

V8 Championship Results: 2nd (2004); 7th (2003); 2nd (2001); 9th (2000); 2nd (1999); 2nd (1998); 3rd; (1997); 6th (1996); Other Major V8 Supercar Results: 1st Bathurst 1000 (1995, 1997); 1st Sandown 500 (1998); 1st Queensland 500 (1999); 2nd Bathurst 1000 (2002); 2nd Sandown 500 (1997, 2004)

Career Highlights: 1st Australian Formula Ford championship (1990); 2nd British Formula Ford 1600 Championship (1991)

EASTERN CREEK RECORD
    2004 – November – Qualified: 6th; Race 1: 7th; Race 2: 9th; Race 3: 3rd; Overall: 2nd
    2004 – May - Qualified: 6th; Race 1: 14th; Overall: 14th
    2003 – November - Qualified 14th; Race 1: 3rdt; Race 2: Excluded; Overall: Excluded
    2003 – May - Qualified 10th; Race 1: 3rd; Overall 3rd
    2002 – Qualified 7th; Race 1: 5th; Race 2: 29th; Race 3: 27th; Overall: 15th
    2001 – Qualified 11th; Race 1: 23rd; Race 2: 12th; Overall: 18th
    2000 – Qualified 4th; Race 1: 5th; Race 2: 4th; Race 3: 1st; Overall: 2nd
    1999 – Qualified 8th; Race 1: 9th; Race 2: 8th; Race 3: 5th; Overall: 5th
    1998 – NO RACE
    1997 – Qualified 9th; Race 1: 4th; Race 2: 5th; Race 3: 4th; Overall: 4th
    1996 – Qualified 11th; Race 1: 9th; Race 2: 3rd; Race 3: 8th; Overall: 7th

TRACK FACTS – EASTERN CREEK
    Venue: Eastern Creek Raceway, Sydney, NSW
    2005 Race format: Qualifying and Top 10 Shootout (Saturday); 2 x 36 lap races with compulsory tyre stops (Sunday)
    Circuit Length: 3.43km
    Circuit Direction: Anti-clockwise
    Average Speed: 154.2kph
    Maximum Speed: 260-270kph
    Qualifying Record: Mark Skaife (Holden Commodore, 1999) 1:30.6550
    Lap Record: Mark Skaife (Holden Commodore, 1999) 1:31.7301

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
    Saturday May 28
    9.00am - 11.00am - Practice
    11:45am - 12:30pm – Pit Walk
    2.15pm - 3.00pm - Qualifying
    3.15pm - 3.45pm - Top Ten Shootout

Sunday May 29
    11.20am - 12.20pm RACE 1 (36 laps)
    3.15pm - 4.15pm RACE 2 (36 laps)
    I am the Stig

I just seen marcus on the TV he gave Eastern Creek a mouth full
    Saying it was boring and not much i sat back was in shock. Might be on sports tonight.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Its a bit of a controversial track. You really need good car setup, its hard to overtake except into the hairpins by how the layout is and the spectator viewing isnt that great cause theres hills through the middle of the track blocking vision. Always seems to look good on the TV though
    I am the Stig

Well done to Lowndes and the Triple 8 Ford Team - first round win in over two years. Triple 8 Engineering is starting to come on strong and looks like they will start to challenge Stone Brothers for the crown of Number 1 Ford Team.
    Murph and Ingall both consistent again - both look like championship threats this year.
    As for Ambrose? Time to start an argument here. Ambrose was at fault in the Ambrose-Skaife incident. Skaife was cleanly passed and Ambrose should have eased slightly off the throttle to prevent turning Skaife around. Ambrose was veeery lucky not to be penalised for that. You could argue that Skaife needed to give Ambrose more racing room, but Ambrose could have and should have eased off the throttle and waited to attack Skaife on the next passing opportunity.
    This is the third race in succession where Ambrose has been in an overly aggressive incident with a rival (Lowndes at Pukekohe and Skaife at Barbagallo). He needs to cool it a bit and drive more with his head - all of the incidents he's been involved in recently could have been avoided.
    Ambrose is a good driver, but I'm starting to lose respect for him following the recent clashes he's been involved in.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

It was alot like the incident between Webber and Fisi at Malaysia, although one of them walked away from it this time. Personally i think it as a bit much of Skaife thinking he could straight away race head to head with Ambrose on fresh tyres. He'd already locked a brake going into turn 2, but i suppose the result of the contact between the 2 was a bit more than what was expected.
    I am the Stig

Racing other drivers on cold tyres is what Skaife is paid to do. Maybe not ideal, but he almost pulled it off.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

I think he's getting ready for NASCAR,the good ole boys from the south like a bit of rubbin with their racing
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Youre not the only one to suggest that ;p, but then again others have suggested any day of the week Skaife wouldve done the same thing, and has done in the past.
    I am the Stig

Got that right,Im just so happy Lowndesey had a win,looks like it was a good move leaving FPR looking how brighty has been going.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I wouldnt have believed it, but its only his second round win since joining Ford, and really his first proper win considering that race in 03 at Phillip Island was red flagged and he'd made a massive gamble on strategy. Also notable was his first hat-trick of pole positions, something he didnt even achieve at the "mighty" HRT.
    I am the Stig

Interesting between ambrose and skaife, and fecking controversial, ill give u that, but im still undecided on whos to fault, im thinking that ambrose's move to NASCAR is getting to his head and that he thinks he can get away with alot before his departure.

Big smile on my face, lowndes is one hell of a good sportsman and that is what makes him so great, he keeps on smiling. Damn, how does he do it? crashed, fooked motors, crap finishing postions, he's been through it all, and he still smiles. I guess its seeing some1 who has been through so much getting the goods after such a long that makes u feel so happy. Good on ya Lowndes, hope u win more!
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Hope people feel sorry for me after i have won 3 championships

Marcus has got something on his plate or something else.
    I have seen things from him in the past 3 weeks that i must say have shocked me a lot. Now my brother was hanging it on me after the incident with Marcus and Mark at Barbagallo. But this weekend when i spoke to him he was very very quite, And said nothing, Now that was a shock after the Barbagallo first corner he gave me a spray about that one but nothing this time.
    Then when i seen Marcus on sport tonight going off about Eastern creek

Marcus are you looking forward to this weekends race you have done great in the past does this race track hold a special place with you?.
    Marcus::: No not really it's a nothing track really it's boring stagnit not much for passing not a fav of myn,

Something like that if anyone seen late night sports tongiht they would have seen it.
    To me thats not him.

Everyones using this NASCAR thing as a massive scapegoat IMO. Marcos is doing this, Marcos is doing that.....Its all cause he wants to get into NASCAR bla bla bla
    I am the Stig

I don't think it's nascars, If this was last year nothing would have been said, But this year they love to blame it always on something like that.
    It's a tuff year this one only round4 and it's tight really tight and tuff.

Thread Information