Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What did we ever do to them?

What did we ever do to them?

more anti-muslim cartoon from Denmark. yet, the govt still wants to carry out trade with muslim countries.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061010/...rtoons_iran_dc

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Denmark said on Tuesday a new cartoon crisis with the Muslim world could erupt after Danish television stations broadcast footage last week deemed insulting to the Prophet Mohammad.

Muslims were angered when Danish television stations aired footage on Friday of members of the youth wing of the anti-immigrant Danish People's Party (DPP) drawing cartoons in August mocking the Prophet.
    Iran condemned the broadcast.

In September last year the Danish daily Jyllands-Posten published cartoons that Muslim clerics denounced as blasphemous, sparking protests early this year in which more than 50 people were killed in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

"(The latest cartoon issue is) smoldering around in the Muslim world. We hope it will die out but we don't know if it will pass," Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moller told the Danish national broadcaster DR.

Most Muslims regard any depiction of the Prophet as offensive.

"Don't forget that the (last) cartoon crisis broke out four months after the drawings were first published, so I can't guarantee anything," said Moller.

CONDEMNATION

This time Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen acted quickly and condemned the behavior of the DPP members. He was criticized earlier this year for refusing to apologize for the previous cartoons of the Prophet.

The DPP is not a member of the ruling coalition but supports the government in parliament.

Moller said he had talked to Iranian and Syrian leaders and that he hoped the government's efforts to calm anger in the Muslim world would bear fruit.

"The question is what the religious leaders will say at Friday prayers," he said.

Witnesses said the protesters outside the Danish embassy in Tehran chanted "Down with Zionists" and "God praise the party of God."

The protesters set fire to a tire next to the embassy compound wall but firefighters put it out.

Denmark's ambassador to Tehran was summoned to the Foreign Ministry on Monday about the television footage.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has condemned those involved in the footage as "low life."

More than 230 legislators in Iran's 290-seat parliament urged Ahmadinejad on Tuesday to cut Iran's trade ties with Denmark, the semi-official Mehr News Agency reported.

"The past attempts of the Danish government regarding this insult (to the Prophet) have been repeated, this time by the visual media," said Mehr.

Danish industry praised the government on Tuesday for taking swift action to calm Muslim anger and said a Muslim consumer boycott of Danish goods, like the one that occurred earlier this year, had been largely avoided.

"This unfortunate matter has been handled competently by the government and so far we've only had two companies in Saudi Arabia report that they were affected," said Peter Thagesen, a senior adviser at the Confederation of Danish Industry.

Total Danish yearly exports to Muslim countries are about 10 billion crowns ($1.81 billion), or roughly 2 percent of all exports.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Just sounds like a bunch of racist pricks. Unfortunately, they're everywhere. I wouldn't take it personally, they're just ****wits
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

not this again
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I agree that they should be angry, but by chanting death to Zionists, that is misdirecting, because I know many Zinonists, that are compleatly outraged by this and they should not be the ones being blamed
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Wow, they sure are good at diplomacy. Way to piss off all the Muslim countries all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Wow, they sure are good at diplomacy. Way to piss off all the Muslim countries all at once.
    It wasn't the Danish government

Well it gives the entire Danish people in general a bad reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Well it gives the entire Danish people in general a bad reputation.
    So, its still doesn't make all Danish people rascist, just the ones who wrote it.

I know that, but people sometimes don't see it that way. People sometimes tend to generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    So, its still doesn't make all Danish people rascist, just the ones who wrote it.
    That is why he said it gives them a bad rep, not that they made oen for themselves.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Free speech is not meant to be limited simply because it offends someone. That's the whole point. There are LOTS of cartoons and jokes out there poking fun at Jesus, Buddha, the Dalai Lama, etc. But, you don't see riots breaking out over it. Behavior of journalists, artists and political figures should not change because of inappropriate violent reactions by others. Keep in mind that I'm talking about INAPPROPRIATE reactions, such as the riots from earlier this year. There are appropriate reactions to be had to these types of cartoons, these types of offensive commentaries. I'm not saying there are not and should not be consequences to exercising free speech rights. There almost always are...as long as the consequences are legally and morally justified.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

I love the people who scream, while burning effigys of whatever western world leader they don't like, saying there an organisation of peace and love.

Of course Misinterpretation will be the death of us all.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

"Per Stig Moller"

So thats what he has been up too....

The problem is that the muslims completly lack a sense of humor. If they made cartoons about any other religion they are ignored.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    The problem is that the muslims completly lack a sense of humor.
    The problem with YOU is that you make too damn many short-sighted oversimplifications.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

That pretty much sums it up.

Thread Information