Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddam recieves Death Sentence

Saddam recieves Death Sentence

Just heard it on the news here.

Good to hear. He will be hanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky.com
    Saddam Is Found Guilty
    Updated: 08:03, Sunday November 05, 2006

Saddam Hussein has been found guilty of crimes against humanity by a court in Baghdad.

The former dictator is now likely to face the death penalty.

Saddam was convicted of ordering the deaths of 148 Shia men and teenage boys in the town of Dujail in 1982.

The killings followed a failed assassination attempt against him in 1982 and were intended to act as a grim warning to others not to oppose him.

Facing charges alongside him were Taha Yassin Ramadan, a former vice-president, Barzan Ibrahim al Tikriti - Saddam's half-brother - former judge Awad Ahmad al Bander and four party officials from Dujail.

Security was stepped up in Baghdad in anticipation of a violent reaction to the announcement of the verdict.

Saddam, who was captured by US forces in December 2003, is still seen as the figurehead of many of the insurgent Sunni groups conducting a campaign of terror against Coalition troops and Iraqi civilians.

More than 100 US troops were killed in Iraq in October, making it one of the bloodiest months for American forces since the invasion in March 2003.

The civilian death toll is estimated at somewhere between 45,000 and more than 650,000.

Defence minister Abdul Qader al Obeidi cancelled all army leave and recalled security forces already on holiday.

The trial is the first that Saddam has faced in the wake of his downfall.

It has been punctuated by walkouts, boycotts, hunger-strikes by Saddam and his co-defendants, the murder of three lawyers and the sacking of the original trial judge, who announced in court that he did not believe Saddam was a dictator.

It is possible the former Iraqi president's other trials for genocide and war crimes could now be brought forward.

The death penalty in Iraq has to be carried out by hanging, according to the country's new constitution. However, Saddam has said he would rather face a firing squad.

Good. The coward wants a firing squad so it's all over fairly quick.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I think a firing squad would actually be more grueling than a properly executed (no pun intended) hanging.
    I am the Stig

I would have thought that hanging would be more painful. Although I've never been hung, or shot multiple times...
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I would have thought that hanging would be more painful. Although I've never been hung, or shot multiple times...
    Been there done that. They both hurt a lot but the pain goes away after like 5 seconds.

Do it properly and you'll snap your neck. Do it wrong and you'll strangle yourself to death.
    I am the Stig

Or be decapitated.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

being shot, you'd be dead before your nervous system recovers and pain recievers start functioning again..
    edit: don't ask me how i know that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

In view of Iraq's post-Saddam fate, including the current and ever-intensifying slaughter and mayhem besetting that country, and yes ongoing and future genocide too (not forgetting those pre and post-invasion sanctions resolting in massive civillian deaths, will the lying & murderous yet still incumbent conspirators (namely Bush. Bliar, Howard and their cohorts) also be availed of justifiable trial, and a penalty commensurate to Saddam, when and if the duplicitous West finally concedes that it is they who are complicit in the needless slaughter and suffering of millions?

Somehow I doubt it

Hypocracy is a difficult concept to sell let alone force onto other cultures, especially when they have already long been the victims of enforced imperirialism
    Last edited by nota; 11-05-2006 at 03:18 AM.

The only man that could have saved Iraq will be dead soon... Pity the nazi invaders in Iraq dont realise that

Some explaining:

Saddam did stuff wrong,plenty of it, BUT he was a dictator and a strong leader. The masses felt safe and that they would have a future. Iraq was THE most advanced,"civilized" country of the arab world. Believe me 90% of the Iraqi people want him back. Th allies clearly proved they came ill-prepared without a good understanding of the Iraqi mentality. I heard that lately not only the foreign terrorists are fighting the allies,but more and more the Iraqi people themselves.
    I know a family that came from Iraq pretty good. They fled for the american invasion. The husband was a former Republican Guard member. He deserted when the war started and fled to home to protect his family. He was shot 3 times by a drunk American soldier. He told me he doesnt hate them,but their leaders for being so ignorant and ill-prepared. They still have contact with family and friends in Iraq. The stories they tell are quite different from the propaganda the US tells the world. They (try to) send videotapes sometimes. I have seen some absolutely shocking images.. Their friends went to the market,when at the market a bomb exploded. There was blood and gore all over it was absolutely terryfying When US-soldiers came to heck it out,they stood at the side. They didnt even try to help people in need. They just stood there..

I think i'll stop here before i reall get mad

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Pity the nazi invaders in Iraq dont realise that
    quick get Indiana Jones

My opinion is that anyone shouldn't be executed for any crime. It makes you as bad as they are. A lifetime (whats left of it) of manual labour or solitary confinement would be far more effective.

I don't understand how killing someone is an effective punishment for a crime? Anyone care to explain?
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    I don't understand how killing someone is an effective punishment for a crime? Anyone care to explain?

People generally value their life so taking it away is the ulimate punishment.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    People generally value their life so taking it away is the ulimate punishment.
    but they can't experience what its like having no life. if they are kept alive but given nothing or meaningless things to do, cannot talk to other people and have no external stimuli then you have taken away their 'life' but they know it has happened
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

No one should recieve the death sentence, sorry but my view, just serve a life sentence in jail..
    .................................................................................:ĤBack AgainĤ:.................................................................................

Quote from Saddam upon receiving the news:

"Saddammit!"

Thread Information