Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tribute to the f-14 tomcat

Hurrah for the JSF.

Apparently the Royal Navy is getting some to replace their aging carrier borne Sea Harriers.

No word on whether the Royal Navy will actually have any aircraft carriers which will actually be able to carry the planes, but hey, that's the British way.

It goes with our assault rifles which jam, radios which don't work, Apache helicopters without pilots, and our Chinooks which aren't allowed to fly in bad weather because we forgot to order proper radar with them.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    It goes with our assault rifles which jam, radios which don't work, Apache helicopters without pilots, and our Chinooks which aren't allowed to fly in bad weather because we forgot to order proper radar with them.
    you forgot assault rifles who's butt plates and stock dissolve when exposed to soldier's camo paint apart from that i quite like the new model SA80/L85
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's better than Australia's Sea King Debarcle.

Here's a great Idea ; buy 30 year old Helicopter shells and spend $1Billion trying to update them, only to fail miserably! What a great way to waste money that could pay for a hospital or something else important!

I sort of feel sorry for Brendan Nelson - my Dad deals with him occasionally and he just got plonked in the job, then The Seakings, Kovco, East Timor.........
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

or the media frenzy over the adoption of the glock, claiming the weapon could pass through x-ray and metal detectors due to it's all plastic construction, despite the fact that the barrel, breech, and ammunition are still metal
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    What do you classify as "everyday" roles?
    Good question. I really don't have an answer but I guess as an expendable bomber and fighter? The F-22 would be too expensive to fully equip the entire Armed Forces. The JSF I guess would pick up on it's slack.

Everyday roles to me would be: Close Air Support,"Regular" bombing sorties, Interdiction, Wild Weasel(SEAD), Precision Bombing Sorties(Day/Night)... etc.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

ok, lots to respond to here.

the F-18G will be a 2 man jammer. It takes the best of the EA-6B and shrinks it down. when you move forward 20+ years technology, you can make a lot of stuff smaller, and automate a lot of other things.

Shooting down our guys would be friendly fire. That's why I avoid dealing with jets as much as possible.

The JSF will be used by all services. Eventually. Each version will be different to suit the missions of each service. The USMC's will be VSTOL (vertical/short take off and landing), the Navy's will be carrier capable with beefed up landing gear and tailhooks, and the Airforce's with come stock with easy chairs, and be capable of being valet parked at the golf course.

The F-15 is not capable of carrier landings, however the YF-22 prototype had a version configured to land on a carrier and did several times. The navy considdered purchasing a couple of squadrons worth, but they are just too big, costly, and maintenence intensive. Like the rest of the airforce.

CMC is not for Command Master Chief any more, those were form my ROTC days. Currenty it is Lieutenant Junior Grade (LTJG).
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thanks for clarification LTJG Pokey!
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Thread Information