Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

The Harrier system could never have afterburners and limit on teh potential power to be able to deliver to front AND rear nozzles. So s/s was never viable for that setup.
    I agree the front fan is a poor design and not as "clever" as the RR engine in the Harrier BUT using the RR experience they've got a great vehicle which will fill the Harrier role well.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ahh but you could have valves coming off the sides aswell as having the nozzle part as in the main exhaust of the engine.
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    Ahh but you could have valves coming off the sides aswell as having the nozzle part as in the main exhaust of the engine.
    The side can't have very much thrust !
    The JSF engine is all turbine. You cant' take any power out of a jet till the end of the turbine.
    More turbine blade stages means more air compression which means more power.
    THIS is what stopped the Pegasus being uprated and replaced in the old airframe.
    It's not just valves -- it is THRUST
    Nobody else ever managed it as RR had some unique knowledge that nobody else could replicate. BUT it had it's limits. ( My dad was involved in the manufacture and delivery of the pipework for the engine )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ok you kinda misunderstood me.

You have the lay out of the JSf then on the sides near the aft you have the same types of nozzles as on the harrier directing the airflow i know the harrier had to use water for that to work and thats what limited its Vertical time, mmaybe some substitute liquid could be sed or nothing at all the force would enough.
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    F-35 Joint Strike Fighter #7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 05-08-2006 at 05:23 PM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter #8
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

I saw the development of this and the Boing plane as they were competing for the government contract on the Discovery channel. It was really interesting, if anyone can find it online its worth it.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

great pics , keep em coming... where do you get that from? any F-18?
    Reach for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars!

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter #9
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter #10
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

@NuclearCrap,
    In those CG photos that you posted that are from the nose, I see three different body types. Am I correct in assuming that one is the standard Air Force aircraft, one is the Navy aircraft, and that the opthers are the V/STOL body type?

I also have to say that the Boeing entry was rather ugly, and that the F-35 looks smaller than the F-22.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Those two pics of the engine are awesome
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    I saw the development of this and the Boing plane as they were competing for the government contract on the Discovery channel. It was really interesting, if anyone can find it online its worth it.
    I saw that too.
    It looked to me as though Lockheed new how to play this game and Boing didn't. The programme never said, but it looked as though Lockheed basically cheeted by overspending but producing what was wanted and then loost the accounts. I believe it was described as an accounting error in hte programme.By the time they were found or fixed, the decision was made and they had won.
    I think the solution for VTO is massivly over complicated. The old harrier solution was elegant in it's simplicity. Shame it couldn't have been transfered to a supersonic plane.

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    Ok you kinda misunderstood me.

You have the lay out of the JSf then on the sides near the aft you have the same types of nozzles as on the harrier directing the airflow i know the harrier had to use water for that to work and thats what limited its Vertical time, mmaybe some substitute liquid could be sed or nothing at all the force would enough.
    Do you mean the "puffer jets" on the wing tips and rear for balance and maneouvering ? The didnt' provide any real "lift".

The water injection is into the main turbine engine iteself as it overheats as it's not getting fresh cold air rammed into it by forward flight.
    NOT to do with the puffer jets.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-09-2006 at 04:03 AM.

have these reached production yet? i wish they'd hurry up and send us ours, we paid enough for them
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information