Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz Concept Ocean Drive 2006

Mercedes-Benz Concept Ocean Drive 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes-Benz Press Release
    Mercedes-Benz design study: Concept Ocean Drive design study – the most comfortable and elegant modern-day convertible

Detroit, Dec 20, 2006
    At the North American Auto Show Detroit, Mercedes-Benz is adding to its reputation as a pioneer and design trendsetter among premium carmakers with the presentation of its Concept Ocean Drive four-door convertible. This study is a one-off creation by Mercedes-Benz which revives the tradition of large luxury convertibles. Not having to work to a design brief or production specifications left the designers free to get on with the job of developing the world's most comfortable and elegant convertible.

The Concept Ocean Drive is an aweinspiring jewel on wheels. As a four-door convertible, it belongs in a luxury genre that has almost disappeared from our roads. Like the luxury convertibles of years gone by, this showpiece from Stuttgart features the maximum in elegance, lifestyle sophistication and exclusiveness. To put it another way, it represents automobile culture at its most attractive and desirable.

The one-off special has an all-new body with an almost classic flavour and with clearly defined lines and vibrant two-tone paintwork which are exceptionally charismatic. Although on one level the Concept Ocean Drive displays the restraint of an elite and aristocratic automobile, it is also an open invitation to go on a "top-less" cruise along the world's finest ocean promenades. Luxurious, exotic materials have been crafted with consummate skill to create a showpiece of unparalleled perfection.

Mercedes-Benz design studies – a stylistic journey into the future

The Concept Ocean Drive isn't just designed to inspire dreams and fantasies; it also serves a very practical purpose. Because design studies are always a good opportunity for designers to play around with less familiar themes, to see things from new angles and to explore new ideas. Not just a pure design exercise, they are also a way of stimulating a closer dialogue with customers and of trying out new ideas on the general public. This helps the designers get a feel for future styling trends and to develop and implement new design idioms.

The unique luxury convertible design study from Stuttgart turns a "dream car" vision into reality. At the same time it is also an affirmation of the design excellence and values of the Mercedes-Benz brand, including the brand's traditional basic principles like excellent build and quality, comfort, effortless superiority, value retention and safety. These values have now been joined by three further key messages: passion, fascination and innovation. The Mercedes-Benz design philosophy both perpetuate proven styling themes associated with the brand and at the same time combines them with new and surprising ideas and forms.

Styling conveys effortless superiority and elegance

Apart from the four doors, the outward distinguishing marks of the concept car include a very large and upright radiator grille, LED headlamps and taillights, two-tone paintwork and a striking interplay between taut lines and large, restful surfaces. This lends the one-off special an air of effortless superiority, power, elegance and forward-flowing energy.

The long side-window opening which, typically of a convertible, is not interrupted by a B-pillar or window frames, ensures seamless continuity between the exterior and the interior, even when the top is up. Extensive use of high-value materials –such as finest-quality leather, 3D-effect materials and large bird's eye maple trim panels (in the interior and even on the soft-top compartment cover) – and many other thoughtfully designed interior details, highlight the luxurious, unique character of this design study.

Top-level engineering

The design study is based on the twelve-cylinder Mercedes-Benz S 600, on ac-count of this model's long wheelbase. The technical highlights include:

* the innovative soft-top mechanism resulting in smooth operation and fast closing times;
    * the innovative AIRSCARF neck-level heating system, which is featured on all four seats, allowing occupants to enjoy top-down motoring even in the colder months of the year.

Needless to say, the on-board equipment also includes top-level Mercedes-Benz innovations, some of which are unique worldwide – including Brake Assist PLUS, the innovative PRE-SAFE® brake system (in combination with radar-based DIS-TRONIC PLUS) and the PRE-SAFE® anticipatory occupant protection system.
    Mercedes-Benz Concept Ocean Drive #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (683.3 KB, 64 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (448.2 KB, 92 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (439.4 KB, 87 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (694.4 KB, 73 views)
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

was waiting for this... i quite like it, kinda cool...

wow really love it like the front part really a nice concept and I hope it turns into a mass production car
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

How many different pointless concepts can Mercedes-Benz put into production? (assuming this reaches production eventually)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

its nice and all but couldnt they find a new grill instead of the previous s class's? even the wheels belong to the CLS.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

That thing has more ground clearance than my mom's Tuscon. And LED headlights = ugly.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

..if mercedes made a rolls, this is what would happen

(of course other than the abortion that is a maybach)
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

this is not Mercedes but Maybachmaterial IMO

I robot + Mercedes Benz = this.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    How many different pointless concepts can Mercedes-Benz put into production? (assuming this reaches production eventually)
    I thought it was as good as decided that they are going to build a 4 door convertible S-class. Just like the Adenauer Mercedes 300.

it looks OK but with the top on it looks funny
    and it should have the new Mercedes grills with the three pointed star in the middle of the grill not above it

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001
    and it should have the new Mercedes grills with the three pointed star in the middle of the grill not above it
    Excuse me?! Different cars have different grills

examples
    Star above grille:
    S-Class
    E-Class
    C-Class

Star in grill:
    CL-Class
    ML-Class
    CLS-Class

Looks like somebody has noticed the market share the new Azure from Bentley has taken
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    I thought it was as good as decided that they are going to build a 4 door convertible S-class. Just like the Adenauer Mercedes 300.
    Yes but I don't know, I somewhat feel that Mercedes-Benz is overdoing it with so many different models...

Of course it could be worse, they could have just decided to make a convertible R-class Allroad or something... which at this rate they probably eventually will...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

not bad
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Thread Information