Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    How "big" is the CH-53 anyway? Is it about the same size as Russian helecopters? Because I know that they make them huge too.
    they are big enough, where they are very limited as far as what they can land on. has to have a very large flight deck. They are comparable in size to the russian ones. although most of their big ones arent ship based, whereas the 53s are.
    Do you guys fly S-64 Skycranes? They should be heavy lifters too.

What do you mean by terrifying? Lots of vibration? Do the propellers rotate in opposite directions or the same?
    64's I dont thinnk have been flown in a few decades by the miltary. they still exist in the private sector however.

the 46s have the twin rotors that spin in opposite directions. there is no tail rotor like on a standard helo. if a regular helo loses its tail rotor, there are ways to control it (albeit not well) to make it to the ground. if a 46 loses one of its rotors, she has no control whatsoever, and generally just plumets to earth. they are very controlable and stable when tkaing off and landing, but if something goes wrong with them, it goes really wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I doubt the CH-53 is the only helo capable of doing that.
    in the current US Military it is.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    they are big enough, where they are very limited as far as what they can land on. has to have a very large flight deck. They are comparable in size to the russian ones. although most of their big ones arent ship based, whereas the 53s are.

64's I dont thinnk have been flown in a few decades by the miltary. they still exist in the private sector however.

the 46s have the twin rotors that spin in opposite directions. there is no tail rotor like on a standard helo. if a regular helo loses its tail rotor, there are ways to control it (albeit not well) to make it to the ground. if a 46 loses one of its rotors, she has no control whatsoever, and generally just plumets to earth. they are very controlable and stable when tkaing off and landing, but if something goes wrong with them, it goes really wrong.

in the current US Military it is.
    Wow, that's pretty cool, the CH-53.

Come to think of it, the 46 is pretty scary stuff.

Cool thing is, at college I've seen a couple of NOTAR helecopters flying around. They don't have tail rotors. I thought that it was just a concept. I guess they put it into production.

Wow, that's pretty cool, the CH-53.

Come to think of it, the 46 is pretty scary stuff.

Cool thing is, at college I've seen a couple of NOTAR helecopters flying around. They don't have tail rotors. I thought that it was just a concept. I guess they put it into production.
    The ones where the exhaut gas is used to counter rotor torque or the double-rotor varieties? I don't think double rotors have made it into te civilian sector yet.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The ones where the exhaut gas is used to counter rotor torque or the double-rotor varieties? I don't think double rotors have made it into te civilian sector yet.
    Yes, that's the one. I don't know, but I've seen them circling around.

Haha, are ekranoplanes limited to watery areas so that they can land? And I'd hate to fly one by the beach. Lawnmower-like destruction and splatter everywhere.

I didn't know the USAF made ground effect planes.
    nope, many travel over land too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Do ****ing want. SSBM's are the quickest way to tell a country to get ****ed.
    1st pic is for you. ICBM test at aleutian islands or something, warheads coming in
    4th pic is the experimental 'sleeper' project lol. 747 with many rotating magazines of 6 cruise missiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 10-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Spectre ftmfw.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

has a spectre ever engaged other aircraft in combat? i would rofl if they shot down a helicopter or something with the howitzer
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    has a spectre ever engaged other aircraft in combat? i would rofl if they shot down a helicopter or something with the howitzer
    pretty sure they havent. the howitzer cant be aimed very quickly, so it woudl be difficult to hit an air target. mainly just large ground targets.

But the Gatling gun would be. Hell, if they can use it to pick off cars and people, a helo is easy pickin's.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

But the Gatling gun would be. Hell, if they can use it to pick off cars and people, a helo is easy pickin's.
    looking at the wiki for it, the gatling guns are more specifically Vulcan cannons. 20mm rounds, traditionally depleted uranium, but since we dont really use those anymore we use tungsten. it shoots at a classified rate of fire, but its over 3000 rounds/min. this is the same gun that is in the Phalanx weapon system on US Navy ships and in the noce of the A-10.

so 4 of them on the AC-130 is pretty bad ass. even without the big gun.

Phalanx is the anti-missile weapon, right? Those things are bad ass.

Edit: Yup. Phalanx CIWS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Quiggs; 10-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

yeah... its own built in radar. if you leave it in auto (which you almost never would) it will find something in the air and destroy it. it will re-evaluate, and if there the pieces of the destroyed missile still have a threat profile it will shoot those pieces too. it is faster, more accurate, and more lethal than a person coudl ever be.

the best way to describe it firing is like if you were standing on one side of a piece of steel, and someone was using a chainsaw on it on the other side. thats what it sounds like. you dont here the individual rounds going off, just a really loud buzz. we usually do practice shoots of 100 rounds or so, and they go out so quickly its almost uneventful.

Edit to add pic

Edit: Yup. Phalanx CIWS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Never knew R2D2 could be deadly.

It does share some startlingly similar charateristics.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    looking at the wiki for it, the gatling guns are more specifically Vulcan cannons. 20mm rounds, traditionally depleted uranium, but since we dont really use those anymore we use tungsten. it shoots at a classified rate of fire, but its over 3000 rounds/min. this is the same gun that is in the Phalanx weapon system on US Navy ships and in the noce of the A-10.
    Actually, the puny 20mm rounds don’t cut it for the A-10 so it uses a 30mm cannon.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Thread Information