Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prius haters, i have questions for you.

Hate is such a strong word. If it leads to interesting fuel efficient cars that offer interesting performance, good. As it is it is an "experimental" design. It does not satisfy my taste aesthetically or performance wise. It is too small for me and what I want from a car. IT certainly does not deserve to be on a site about ulttimate cars unless that includes the ultimate in everything. ie ultimate pig, ultimate rice, ultimate French diesel (where'd that come from!).
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

ah the europeans and their mising... well when you guys are payin over 2 dollars a litre, out 1 dollar a litre sounds pretty cheap and the americans crying over 70 cents a litre... pffft i havent seen 70 cents a litre for over 2 years...

Anyway, i dont hate the Prius... I just looks weird, i wouldnt buy one but i dont think its bad car. it just needs "refinement" in the looks dept and maybe a tad more grunt to make it really stand out
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    All I want is to know why you guys hate it so much?

Is it the lack of power? the company? the fact that it saves the environment? the fact that you guys want the environment destroyed faster? seriously tell us

EDIT:I'll admit that the first gen was ugly but the second prius is bloody beautiful.
    i dont hate it but the thing thats wrong iwth it is it lowers emmissions but they need batteries and capacitors to store the energy and thats another type of polution right there, and in the long run this might be a classic out of the frying pan into the fire scenerio

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    ah the europeans and their mising... well when you guys are payin over 2 dollars a litre, out 1 dollar a litre sounds pretty cheap and the americans crying over 70 cents a litre... pffft i havent seen 70 cents a litre for over 2 years...

Anyway, i dont hate the Prius... I just looks weird, i wouldnt buy one but i dont think its bad car. it just needs "refinement" in the looks dept and maybe a tad more grunt to make it really stand out
    well said

id rather get a civic hybrid just cuz it looks like a normal car

if i wanted a funky car id get a smart or a hywire (a million bucks lol)

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    The old one is ugly IMHO, and the new one is less ugly than it is odd. A better (normal-looking) looking model would sell more, and hence save the environment faster. Honda's on the right track with the Accord and Civic hybrids (though I still think the Accord is itself a really odd looking piece of styling).

Second, the type of people who usually drive them are the tree-hugger types who make it hard for enthusiats such as you and I to continue enjoying our hobby by calling for yet more restrictions on automobiles.

Thirdly, they are not the be-all and end-all of saving the environment. The spent battery packs still have to be dealt with at the end of their life cycle, and nobody I know has ever gotten the advertised mileage with the Prius (I know a couple people with them actually). It would take a very long time to pay off the extra cost of getting a hybrid vs. a comparably equipped all-gas powered car just in gasoline savings.

4th, most people don't realize that the production of most new cars itself puts huge amounts of pollution in the air; you would probably help the environment more by driving a 5 year old car for another 10 years than you would driving a Prius for 15.

Other than that, there's nothing wrong with the Prius, lol. It's pretty well built considering it's all plastic like cars nowadays, has a comfy interior, rides okay if harder than I like, is stable at speed, and frankly has more than enough get up and go for normal driving. Plus it's proven itself pretty reliable.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I wouldn't mind a JDM only Toyota Crown Hybrid (Toyota Crown is basically Japanese Lexus LS400, a very famous luxury car in Japan). Its a V6, but also a hybrid. Seems very cool to me!

What I hate about the Prius is how much it gets talked about here at ULTIMATEcarpage, there has got to be a place where it can get talked about with people who are actually interested in that genre of car, and I'm not talking about just sandal-wearing, tree-hugging types of people (although that is a good place to start).

well it is talked about on ULTIMATEcarpage cause it is the ULTIMATEE car!

I like the Prius. I think it's better looking now, however, the first WAS ugly. But I like the looks, and the quietness, never mind the lack of performance.

Pretty
    Revolting
    In
    Ugly
    Silver

"Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The Toyota Prius doesn't really make sense financially, especially when there are diesels on the market. However, it is definitely a step in the right direction - not specifically hybrids, but any alternative enviro-technologies are welcomed.
    What I really don't understand is why Toyota has come up with a petrol/electric engine instead of a diesel/electric combination, if they were really after optimal economy.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    What I really don't understand is why Toyota has come up with a petrol/electric engine instead of a diesel/electric combination, if they were really after optimal economy.
    Well, you know how popular diesels are in America...that's probably why...

I'd rather just have a normal car with a DI common rail turbo-diesel myself...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    Well, you know how popular diesels are in America...that's probably why...

I'd rather just have a normal car with a DI common rail turbo-diesel myself...
    Yes but they are also selling the Prius in europe, and yes a comparable DI powered CR diesel car si more economical than the Prius.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'll bet you for volume sales, they wanted to appeal to Americans, though...still, I agree that a diesel/electric combo would really make sense in Europe, and how much would it cost them to do that? Probably not a huge amount...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    I'll bet you for volume sales, they wanted to appeal to Americans, though...still, I agree that a diesel/electric combo would really make sense in Europe, and how much would it cost them to do that? Probably not a huge amount...

There is (or just has been) some economy run in China where VW has sent a diesel/electric Bora.

Thread Information