Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    This. My roommate and I have been playing this game for the last several days. I still can't adjust to the driving physics - it's drift or else - and I don't think it meshes well with my (relatively more) realistic GT4 experience.

It's not bad, but I think it's hilarious that I get penalized for touching a wall but nothing happens when I head-on an incoming Audi at 120 mph when driving as a cop.

It's fun for quick mindless entertainment. Don't expect any sort of customization. Once you realize this, you will probably enjoy the game. After all, where else can you force a Stirling Moss SLR into oncoming traffic in a Murcielago?
    I can actually appreciate it just for that last part haha.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    That was easy. Thanks!
    I shouldn't be so harsh on the game. Its like Kingofthering said, don't expect any likeness or simulation to real car driving or feel, and you won't be disappointed. I think the only thing remotely close to real life aside from the killer graphics/design of the cars would be their sounds. I think they did a decent job of getting those right. I haven't driven enough cars in the game yet to be sure though. If you're in one of those gaming moods like in GTA where you just cruise around and wreck things for the hell of it, this game isn't such a bad candidate. Just tear into a 6 pack (or two) and have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Yea, I suppose it feels fine in that sense.

So a few faults I've uncovered so far:

- If you don't finish with a Gold, you typically won't progress as the game gets more difficult. You either get gold and progress, or bronze/merit/pass which will mostly leave you staying behind to retry.
    - As you move on, the times that the game wants you to complete courses in get stupidly, stupidly short for the length of the track. In order to pass, you'll have to drift around every corner perfectly, and not hit a single thing, which you'll find to be quite strenuous as you keep reading this.
    - Each time you bump a fence or guard rail, 2 seconds get lost, regardless if it actually slowed you down that amount of time or not.
    - The pace of the cars in this game is an unrealistic Millennium Falcon with NOS speed, making it extremely difficult to maneuver out of the way of random barriers and oncoming traffic. You'll find yourself swerving left right and center, whilst your opponent seemingly effortlessly glides around things and out accelerates you doing it too.

At first I was moving on nicely through the game as both cop and racer, but now with the combination of things I've listed, no matter how hard I drive the gonads off these cars, I still am at least 10 seconds or more behind from where I need to be.

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to playing actual racing simulators, that I don't know how to improperly drive.

don't buy it. There, I've saved you the trouble.
    I've done 35% so far. Tbh, I don't think it's getting more difficult, if anything, it's easier as you get more used to the physics, and also as you get faster, better cars.

I don't have trouble finishing almost all the challenges in Gold.

Difficulty shouldn't be a downside to a game, unless it really is impossible. But then there will always be people who can do it, so it really isn't a real downside to any game at all XD
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

I got this on PC and it won't get past the loading screen for a race.

Reading around there seems to be some big issues with multicore.

I've now given up, I might go back to Forza as they've just gifted me a Subaru S204 and 1M credits!
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    I've done 35% so far. Tbh, I don't think it's getting more difficult, if anything, it's easier as you get more used to the physics, and also as you get faster, better cars.

I don't have trouble finishing almost all the challenges in Gold.

Difficulty shouldn't be a downside to a game, unless it really is impossible. But then there will always be people who can do it, so it really isn't a real downside to any game at all XD
    I'll keep plugging away at it some more. I'm sure I'll get through it eventually. I just don't like that its taking me this long, because its getting ridiculous. I'm not understanding how I can possibly suck this much at a completely fake game, when I can go to Forza, turn every single driver aid including "the line" off, and still roast the competition.

Unlike Shift, at least NFS has gone back to what they do best ever since NFS5: making cheesy arcade games...

For fun, the game is pretty enticing. Having played enough sim-type games, I don't like these arcade type games, but at least Hot Pursuit isn't trying to be a sim, and that's why its probably better than Shift as a whole. As much as I want to hate this game, it does look pretty fun.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

As a sim racer fan, I know it's possible to have a very fun arcadey game. Given that this one was from the guys that did Burnout I was hoping for better, given how much love the Burnout series has had.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Well got bored of waiting for a pc fix and swapped it for an xbox version.
    Maybe doesn't look quite as nice (it does have some AA though..), but it works and there is no jerkiness at all
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

I like it. It's a return to old school NFS arcade fun, no realism involved.

I don't miss modifications, those made me spend too much time on trying to get the perfect suspension/brake settings anyways.

Just completed the game, ie got gold for every single player event. got a few more levels to go to get to level 20 for both cop and racer. Need to play online for that.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Thread Information