Thread: Lotus Elise street racer

Lotus Elise street racer

10/21/2005 -- Harking back to some key Lotus sports and GT racer color schemes (used on some versions of the Lotus Elite, Type 23, and Lotus Elan) from the 1950s and 1960s, Lotus introduces the limited edition Lotus Elise Sports Racer.

Two distinctly different vehicles have been produced. The first, in Ardent Red, features a single painted white stripe flanked by two thinner painted white stripes and has distinctive white wing mirrors. The interior of the car is also unique, with matching red stitching set against black leather trim.

The second car is Nightfall Blue and has twin painted white stripes running the length of the vehicle. Again, this car features white wing mirrors and has a unique interior, subtly matching the exterior of the vehicle, with blue stitching on the leather.

Both the versions have a colored (red or blue respectively) Elise logo stitched into the headrests and unique Elise Sports Racer decals positioned on the exterior of the car.

The Elise Sports Racer will be built in limited numbers with a total production run, across the two colors, of 199 units worldwide with each one given an individually numbered build plate.

Under the blue and red color schemes, the Elise Sports Racers use some of the best sports and track specific components available including ultra-lightweight 7-twin spoke forged alloy wheels (saving a massive 1.2 kg of unsprung weight per corner), Advan Neova AD07 LTS tires linked to sports suspension (uprated Eibach springs and stiffer Bilstein dampers), twin oil coolers and switchable Lotus Traction Control (LTC).

The switchable engine-managed Lotus Traction Control System (LTC) is active above 5 mph and works through the engine, reducing power when required to maintain traction. It operates much quicker than many brake based systems. A Torsen-type limited slip differential (LSD) is available as an option for tight low speed, high acceleration driving (such as auto tests). Standard luxury kit includes a color matched hardtop, central door locking, electric windows, interior stowage net, sound insulation pack, black soft-top with sound/thermal insulation and black full carpet set.

LED rear lights are fitted which are brighter and the brake lights illuminate 0.2 seconds quicker (or one Elise car length at 43 mph) and are 36% lighter (around 0.6 kg) than conventional filament bulbs.

The Proven and High Performing Engine and Gearbox

With a VVTL-i engine (Variable Valve Timing and Lift-intelligent) producing a maximum power output of 190 bhp and 133 lb-ft of torque, the Elise Sports Racer sprints to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and 100 mph in 13.0 seconds before reaching a certified top speed of 150 mph.

This performance is achieved through a balance of environmental considerations with the fully Euro IV Emissions compliant engine helping the Elise to return 32.1 mpg (8.8 liters/100 km) on the combined cycle, as well as the very low figure of 208 g/km of CO2 emissions.

A New Lightweight Pedal Box

The Lotus Elise Sports Racer uses a new lighter weight pedal box with forged steel pedal arms and extruded aluminum pads. This new unit, which is lighter that the previous extruded aluminum unit, has an electronic throttle for quicker and smoother engine response, reduced brake pedal ratio and improved pedal feel for the brake and throttle. All three pedals are better positioned for improved “heel and toe” brake and throttle control on downshifts. The cable-less throttle also ensures that emissions are managed more effectively and kept as low as possible under all operating conditions.

Air-conditioning is available as an option and weighs in at a featherweight 15 kg.

The Lotus Elise Sports Racer is available from Lotus dealers in November 2005 at a recommended retail price of £31,995 in the UK. Other world market prices will be issued shortly
    Attached Images Attached Images

repost.

c_ap, I guess I need to find these things sooner

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut
    Common mistake, don't worry.

I've never seen it, thx btw.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut
    not really, just search before you post. It's not a race

Thanks for bringing it tho'. Better luck next time if you woudl liek it to be a race
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I've never seen it before, so I can't really shout 'repost' like a mad cow.

Nice pictures, BTW. Looks pretty nice in red.
    UCP's FIRST proud owner of a Nokia N70.
    UCP's HIM and Avenged Sevenfold fan.
    UCP's watch expert.

Don't hate me for bringing this thread back, but I have questions about the Elise. I've noticed that lots-if not most-of our members rave about this car and the things that its capable of doing on a track. Is this thing reliable? That's where I'm stumped, because when people talk about Lotus, the phrase that's likely to follow is, "yea those break down." Is this in the past, or still common, or have I been told complete and utter B.S. I learned that different Elises have engines from different manufacturers, including one from Toyota. What engine does the current Elise have, and how are they on the wallet as far as maintenance and parts breaking goes? I'm interested to learn more about this car. Seems like it would be a great alternative to a Boxster S, if its everything people have said it is. Thanks guys.

They come from the factory with varying forms of the same toyota motor. There is an engine swap where people put an RSX? motor in them. At the same time since both motors i presume are stock, they should be fairly reliable aswell as get good mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by speednine
    At the same time since both motors i presume are stock, they should be fairly reliable.
    Howbout the rest of the car's parts? Any record of something continuously going wrong or breaking?

Rob,

Try contacting Weissach here in Vancouver. http://www.weissach.com/passion-lotus.asp

They are the dealer for Lotus and carry a few Elise's all the time.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGreen
    Rob,

Try contacting Weissach here in Vancouver. http://www.weissach.com/passion-lotus.asp

They are the dealer for Lotus and carry a few Elise's all the time.
    That's a good idea, I've actually emailed them on various occasions asking them about cars that they have in. I'll see what they have to say. Thanks.

has anyone noticed that the car is new yet already it has those swirls you see in cars whose paint hasnt been properly mantained? check the third picture. i wish i knew how to prevent those swirls on my car..

Thread Information