Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corona Rally Mexico!

'Stupid, irresponsible' acts tarnish day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.net
    Citroen team boss, Guy Frequelin has branded some of the actions taken by the spectators on the Rally Mexico on Friday 'stupid and irresponsible', after rocks were purposely placed on the road in front of the competing cars and thrown at them while at speed.

Speaking at the end of the opening leg, after both of his drivers', Sebastien Loeb and Daniel Sordo were affected by the incidents, Frequelin added that such acts are completely unacceptable.

"The incidents that affected several drivers were inadmissible," he confirmed. "Rallying comes with enough inherent risks as it is and we can well do without such stupid, irresponsible acts."

Loeb meanwhile was equally damning and while the rock that was thrown at his car on SS2, the 29.66 kilometre Ortega test, did not cost him any time and he ended the day in the lead, it did damage the windscreen, albeit on the co-drivers side.

"There was a problem when a stone was thrown at the windscreen by a spectator [in the second stage of the day]," he added. "It's just a shame. That's such a stupid thing to do."

Sordo was also affected - however, he was slowed on the repeat run through Ortega, as SS5, when rocks, which he felt were 'intentionally placed in the road', damaged the steering on his Citroen C4 and broke a wheel rim.

The 'works' Citroen drivers were not the only ones to be targeted either. Indeed Production World Rally Championship competitors, Mark Higgins and Andreas Aigner also reported similar incidents.

"The car is tracking out now at the right rear wheel because I hit a large stone in stage five - it was impossible to avoid. The spectators are a problem, there are big stones in the road and we had a stone thrown at my co-driver's window," said Higgins at the end of the day, after ending it tenth overall and first in the PWRC category.

Aigner, who was actually forced out after hitting a rock in SS3, which damaged his engine, felt foul play was definitely to blame.

"Suddenly, in a blind corner, two large rocks were lying on the road. I didn't stand a chance," he recounted. "This would never happen under normal circumstances. I guess that some spectators had a hand in it because earlier some other drivers already had rocks thrown at their windscreens."

How isolated these incidents were is unclear and while it has to be pointed out that a number of drivers did not have such problems - or at least didn't mention them - it definitely isn't good news for the organisers of the Rally Mexico. Indeed with Mexico having been left off the provisional calendar for 2008, it doesn't bode especially well for 2009 and regaining a slot in the schedule...
    I would expect the Mexico round to be sacked after what spectators did...

it looks like the spectators were purposely aiming at Citroens
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    They were going to build Citroen's in Mexico at one time.
    Did it fall through or are their problems at their factories ??
    Does seem odd.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Higgins was driving a Mitsubishi so I guess they weren't just targeting the Citroens. Either way it's pretty moronic behaviour.

Anywho...

Quote Originally Posted by Eurosport.com
    LOEB WINS IN MEXICO

Sebastien Loeb streaked back into contention for a fourth world rally championship by claiming a dominant victory on Rally Mexico.

The 33-year-old Frenchman made no mistakes after taking the lead on the opening day in his Citroen and was able to ease off on the final morning of action and cruise to a 55.8 second win over the Ford of Marcus Gronholm.

Victory for Loeb was his second of the year and the 30th of his career. As well as that, he has moved into second place in the championship, only four points behind Gronholm.

Loeb said: "It was a very good performance. Our first win for the C4 on gravel too, and now we have a good fight."

On what was an otherwise processional day, even an expected battle for third place never came to fruition.

Less than 12 seconds separated Dani Sordo, Mikko Hirvonen and Chris Atkinson at the start of the day, but Ford driver Hirvonen proved to be the fastest driver of the day - quicker even than Loeb and Gronholm.

It was enough to see him overhaul Sordo's Citroen on the first stage of the day and clear off into the distance. Third place was a just reward for his efforts.

Sordo claimed fourth as Atkinson fell back during the day in his Subaru, but fifth was still a decent result on the debut of the Japanese manufacturer's 2007-spec Impreza.

Sixth was Manfred Stohl in a Kronos Citroen, with the three Stobart Fords next up. Jari-Matti Latvala was the first of them in seventh, while Britain's Matthew Wilson took his first point of the season in eighth and Hening Solberg claimed ninth.

There was more good news for British rally fans as Mark Higgins won the Group N class in tenth place overall in a Mitsubishi, but disappointment for Ford privateer Austin MacHale, who joined his son Gareth on the retirements list on stage 19.

Eurosport - Jamie O'Leary - 11/03/2007
    Normal service resumed for Loeb then. Seems like a fairly comfortable win in the end, despite Subaru and Ford threatening at times.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Either way it's pretty moronic behaviour.
    Didn't the same happen in the Acropolis 3 or 4 years ago?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Loeb has to relax sometimes.. he wins too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Loeb has to relax sometimes.. he wins too much.
    which is how he relaxes
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That situation with the rocks seems pretty unbelievale, but the more senior of members might recall the incident at Bathurst and the rock sending Dick Johnson into the trees. Whilst a modern day WRC car would easily surpass a 1980's Group C touring car, i guess some stupid fans out there see this as fun or something. I guess we'll see who's laughing when the rally doesnt return to Mexico.

Great to see the Subaru's somewhat competitive also. Hopefully in a few rounds they'll be able to win some rally's.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    That situation with the rocks seems pretty unbelievale, but the more senior of members might recall the incident at Bathurst and the rock sending Dick Johnson into the trees. Whilst a modern day WRC car would easily surpass a 1980's Group C touring car, i guess some stupid fans out there see this as fun or something. I guess we'll see who's laughing when the rally doesnt return to Mexico.

Great to see the Subaru's somewhat competitive also. Hopefully in a few rounds they'll be able to win some rally's.
    Well in 1979 two big rocks in the middle of the road deprived Bjorn Waldegaard of a victory in Montecarlo. Instead Bernard Darniche won by 6 seconds...!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information