Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lotus Locosts Alfa Romeo 159 SW TI

Hi guys!

Time for an update on the most beautiful estate in the world.
    From October last year the population in the house increased by 1, and unfortunately the 159 isn't the most spacious of estates, nor is the relatively high loading-height into the trunk the best for loading heavy stuff. This was all thoughts and assumptions I beard in mind meeting the birth, and the other (better?) half complained and worried about it. But I was determined to try out the new situation with the 159. First of the car impressed me actually, I thought we would see more trouble with the large stroller and other baby-gear, but that trunk is really hungry! It isn't the greatest by numbers compared to the competitors, but the trunk is really deep and fairly square "box" like. This allows it, with neat packing, to get two well sized suitcases, a dismantled stroller and quite a lot of other smaller things packed around! After realizing this after a while, I was starting to hope that we could work around these issues!

Stupid me...

It's now 1 month since the kid had to move up a size in baby seat, and it is here the trouble starts. With the first baby-seat, the legroom was quite good for the passenger in front of the baby-seat, and thanks to the curved design of the dashboard in the 159, the space was even better then other cars in this segment with the same seat applied. Though when moving up a size in seat, there is always the large number of various seats to consider, the tests of them, the results and what they score best on. As a parent, there is nothing good enough but the best. The disadvantage is of course, the best also means the biggest in this world.. So as you understand, the legroom for the passenger isn't that great anymore, it is actually so little that I can't sit there, being only 180cm, for a trip lasting more than 5-10 min. My other/better half can sit there for half an hour tops. The seat has to be pulled all the way forward, and the seatback must be raised to aprox. 80-85 degrees. Of course, the kid will grow out of it and eventually be seated in forward position, but not until the age of 4 at least.. I couldn't bear it, living with this cramped gypsy feeling for 3 more years.. So she now has to go sadly, but it has been a strong and healthy relationship, and I will buy me one of these cars in the future some time. Hopefully with a proper V6..

I have already ordered the replacement, and it/she/he will arrive mid/late October. I thought of this neat thing to engage the ones that knows a bit about me and my taste of cars, what if you try to guess what car I have placed an order on? Anybody is welcomed to try.

I can give you some clues:

1. It is a quite spacious estate.
    2. The weight for the engine/gearbox alternative I have chosen is exactly 1500kg
    3. It has cupholders, various.
    4. The mid-year version this year has an engine update according a 2.0 Diesel.
    5. The brand has motorsport heritage. For many decades, and still is active in some motorsport.
    6. The list price with the equipment I have ordered is about 54.000 euros.

Enough clues for now, may add some if no-one bites
    You get one guess each time, do not list up the most of estates you know of, I will not reveal it if it is in a list of many cars. It would also be nice if you give a simple elaboration for why you think I have chosen your guess.

And the ones that already know what car it is, stfu.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 07-27-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Hi Fred, good to see a long overdue update of your personal life

my guess: a Peugeot 308 SW with the 163 BHP 2litre Hdi.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hi Henk!

Yeah an update from me is long overdue!
    I am now trying to engage myself more to UCP for the future

I am sorry, but your guess is not correct...

Attaching a photo of the 159, they way it has appeared for the last year!
    Attached Images Attached Images

All of those things apply to the C5 station wagon, except the weight; I think the C5 is a few hundred kilos more. That would still be my guess, though. Whatever it is congrats on it and on having a polar bear cub!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    All of those things apply to the C5 station wagon, except the weight; I think the C5 is a few hundred kilos more. That would still be my guess, though. Whatever it is congrats on it and on having a polar bear cub!
    Not correct!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I thought he might have considered a previous generation C5, which you can lower with a button when opening the trunk. But I deleted the idea, as this is not considered to be a"drivers car"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Man, I love me them 159 wagons. When I get around to needing a car again, they're on my short list.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Hi Fredrick, we also dropped our 159 TI, there was not enough space anymore for the tent and the wet wheels so we moved to a Freelander which is also more confortable... I hope you will enjoy your new car, can't wait to see your buy

vincent

Knowing Norwegian car taxes I thought all you could get for €54 000 was a Toyota Aygo!
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

You are all wrong. It's a Ford Transit.

And there's the racing pedigree...

Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Sabine Schmitz style?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I thought he might have considered a previous generation C5, which you can lower with a button when opening the trunk. But I deleted the idea, as this is not considered to be a"drivers car"
    Hehe... I'm not quite 60 years yet!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Man, I love me them 159 wagons. When I get around to needing a car again, they're on my short list.
    You sure should consider it! It is in my mind still the sexiest SW on the market, despite it being introduced many years ago. And a drivers car for sure! Is it much sold down under? Remember seeing billboard adds for it when i visited a couple of years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by forza_autodelta View Post
    Hi Fredrick, we also dropped our 159 TI, there was not enough space anymore for the tent and the wet wheels so we moved to a Freelander which is also more confortable... I hope you will enjoy your new car, can't wait to see your buy

vincent
    I can surely understand that a 159 doesn't meet the racers requirements for a race-weekend! We use a VW Transporter and there are still things we are missing room for..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Knowing Norwegian car taxes I thought all you could get for €54 000 was a Toyota Aygo!
    You are too clever! But not correct..

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Haha, the day hell freezes over, maybe..

Another clue!

Regarding the motorsport heritage of the brand, they have done well and been on the top of the charts in following geners: rally, hillclimb, tarmac racing.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 08-14-2011 at 11:36 PM.

A Peugeot?

EDIT: 508 SW?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 08-14-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Ford Mondeo wagon?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information