Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well someone has to do it...

Well someone has to do it...

New Beetle...again

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_2913.shtml

For what its worth its better looking(IMO) than current one and comes fully realized from the start(also seems more upmarket from the trim level). 2.5 5-banger, 2.0T will be available as well as TDI. Will aslo sport all the current gen VAG stuff like DSG as well as the electronic(ABS emulated) front diff(XDS, as seen on current GTI). In the 2.0T trim its basically a GTI in Beetle clothing, minus the practicality....

New roofline profile looks more interesting and closer to the original. And they have some retro wheel options...

Could be worse I guess...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I can't see the point of this, but not for the reasons you suspect.

Firstly, the new roofline is pretty nifty, I think it's cool. but the tail lights are just odd choices when the front lights are kept ovoid. Very odd choices.

And the interior! Beetles are meant to be inviting places with quirk and cute. It looks like a straight lift of the interior from a Golf Plus or something. Hardly special.

If you want a sporty car VW do three better than this (Polo GTi, Golf GTi, Scirocco). I must be missing the point or something but when you don't make it cute, and you don't make it tremendously sporty, what are you left with?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

A TT.....with VW badge....

That is essentially the same market niche but in lower price bracket....its a marketing car....

TBH the last "new" Beetle is just cheap looking inside, and only "cutesy" touch is the flower holder...And its probably sportier than that Beetle...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I don't like the new hood. It seems clear there is a motor up there and it somehow reminds me of the aftermarket hoods that used to find their way onto the old air cooled cars.

The interior is much nicer but forgettable. The exterior is decent and the lower roofline is probably as much about highway mileage as anything. However, again it makes the car less distinct. The rear 3/4 view makes me think this could have been a follow up to the PT Cruiser. I can see as much American roadster in that view as vintage VW.

Like many retro cars when we start to further modernize the details and move from things like the goofy old speedo to a more modern IP cluster the car is better yet loses much of what made it different than the Golf.

I am actually surprised to see a new version. I thought the car had had its moments of glory ten years ago and was now more than ready for retirement. Obviously VAG marketeers have found a new group of potential clients. Not me.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My first thought when I saw it was ... PANAMERA
    Still see the simlarities and wonder WHY woudl you copy the ugliest car on the planet !
    I see this as a lose.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

From my point of fiew, this redesign is a massive win. The old one was HORRIBLE to look at and appealed only to girls. This one is actually (dare I say) quite cool. The engine choices sound promising, and the interior isn't bad, too (I'm not a fan of playmobile-type interiors- sorry).
    Now let's see if they really make the Beetle R .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

BTW, aside from the too tall nose (perhaps that's the Euro-make-every-nose-ugly-pedestrian-impact standards at work) I think the profile of the car isn't at all bad. I don't see much original or new Beetle in it but I kind of like it.

Well then what's the difference between the newer Beetle and the Fiat 500? It's the same retro formula, except VW got to it first before Fiat did.

Frankly, I don't like either car.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    BTW, aside from the too tall nose (perhaps that's the Euro-make-every-nose-ugly-pedestrian-impact standards at work) I think the profile of the car isn't at all bad. I don't see much original or new Beetle in it but I kind of like it.
    I am pretty sure thats it....its the same trend for most cars now....I think a lot more cars has some kind of fender flair on the front purely because the hoodline got higher...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

BTW, The only reason I saw more of an "original" beetle in this is because of the flat roofline and the more relatively upright windscreen:

Old: Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

Old "New" *2000 VW BEETLE GREAT CONDITION*FULLY LOADED*5 SPEED* For Sale - DragTimes.com
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Commie Euros will have the 1.2 TSi, the 1.4 TSi, the 2.0 TSi and the 1.6 TDi and 2.0 TDi.

Surely thought there at least some overlap with the entire VW lineup. I guess it's consolation price for Uhmericans for not having the Scirocco.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think it's a big improvment over the last one, i was surprised to see a mrk3 though.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

One step further and they will have a Chevy HHR or a PT Cruiser.

Bleh.

Those have hatch and cargo space....a Beetle with that is a Golf...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information