Thread: Italdesign Namir concept

Italdesign Namir concept

March 4th, 2009

FRAZER-NASH NAMIR BY GIUGIARO

The fastest and most ecological hybrid in the world

Namir is a concept car born of the collaboration between Italdesign Giugiaro and Frazer-Nash, a company specialized in the design, construction, and marketing of hybrid systems deeply rooted in the historical automotive manufacturing company founded in England by Archie Frazer-Nash in 1923.

Presented during the 79th edition of the International Motor Show in Geneva, Namir represents the turning of a new page in the book being written by the Torino-based firm since 2004, opening with the Alessandro Volta project and followed up with the commemorative dream car – Quaranta - the result of research and development on sports cars fuelled by hybrid systems produced last year in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the company’s founding.
    The Arabian name Namir, meaning “tiger”, sums up the main features of the concept car: elegance and power, aggressiveness and litheness of lines. Without any doubt it is a sports car: a coupé with two bucket seats and an accurate equilibrium between style and mechanics, aesthetics and contents. The sophisticated mechanics as well as the avant-garde electric and electronics systems are wrapped up into an aggressive package with an exquisitely balanced proportion of volumes and a stunning contrast between the sharp accents of the rear end and the sinuous front lines that emphasise this supercar's performance: over 300 km/h (187 mph) at maximum speed and an acceleration of 0 to 100 km/h in 3.5 seconds and from 0 to 200km/h in 10.4 seconds, making this the fastest hybrid car in the world.
    Namir is also an ecological vehicle. The hybrid system developed together with Frazer-Nash combines an 814 cc endothermic rotary engine with four electric motors, guaranteeing autonomy of 39 km with one litre of fuel CO2 emissions of less than 60 grams per km travelled.

Namir is not merely an exercise in style in and of itself, but rather a fully developed project followed in each and every phase by the Torino-based firm: chassis, body, and mechanical layout were designed and constructed by the Engineering Division, the exterior and interior style was entrusted to the Italdesign Giugiaro Style Centre, while the electrical and electronic elements were developed in collaboration with Frazer-Nash.

The prototype was built entirely in the Italdesign Giugiaro plant.

About Italdesign Giugiaro – Frazer-Nash collaboration

“The encounter with Frazer-Nash dates back to about a year ago” explains Fabrizio Giugiaro, Vice President and Styling Director of Italdesign Giugiaro, "and it was a pleasure to meet with a name that has made automobile history. Since the early 1990s, Frazer-Nash has taken the lead in the engineering and construction of hybrid systems for vehicles; they were very interested in our branch of research dedicated to hybrid systems applied to sports vehicles and, a few months ago, contacted us about collaborating with them in developing a product that would be able to showcase the potential of their systems. Frazer-Nash then began concentrating on the development of a fuel, traction, and transmission system bespoke for Namir, while the talents and expertise of Italdesign Giugiaro were exploited for the interior styling, planning, engineering and mechanics. It certainly was an interesting and profitable collaboration that resulted in a unique vehicle with very exciting performance levels in terms of speed and pick-up, above all in terms of low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions”.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: italdesign.it

it's just me or this is resembling the first Stratos Concept?
    wedge shaped, triangular theme, low side windows, relatively tall right after the cockpit.
    not bad, but lately it seems to my ignorant eyes that Giugiaro is just coninuously reworking his previous works, but without that real new touch that characterized him some years ago.
    Consider this as the third evolution of the Volta, then became the Quaranta, with quite some references to, for example, his Bizarrini/Manta ,while the Vad.Ho was a modern Aztec and so on. I don't know, he just fail to impress me lately, but it could be just me.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Leon, it is just you.

Look, it's smiling! Not exactly great looking, but not horrible either.

The Stratos had the wrap around window thingy right? So I do kinda see it in here.

The arrow-shaped windscreen is interesting. It gives the car forward motion even standng still.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    It puts me in mind of a bird of prey, like a hawk or a falcon. It looks like it has a beak and feathers. Well done.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    it's just me or this is resembling the first Stratos Concept?
    wedge shaped, triangular theme, low side windows, relatively tall right after the cockpit.
    not bad, but lately it seems to my ignorant eyes that Giugiaro is just coninuously reworking his previous works, but without that real new touch that characterized him some years ago.
    Consider this as the third evolution of the Volta, then became the Quaranta, with quite some references to, for example, his Bizarrini/Manta ,while the Vad.Ho was a modern Aztec and so on. I don't know, he just fail to impress me lately, but it could be just me.
    I would had some touches of edonis to it !!
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    - George Bernard Shaw

i like it
    the arrowhead windshield is sorta like something an eight year old would draw, still cool though

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Well, it looks as if the "lets look green because we're afraid of the opinions of imbeciles" bandwagon has been jumped on by somebody else. Hybrid drivetrains are pointless in cars like this, seeing as the electric motors are made for crawling around cities, not doing some pie-in-the-sky fantasy speed.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    ...And also, the company called fraser-nash is so in name only, bought out by heartless chinese companies and turned into a maker of glorified mobility scooters. What ever happened to the dignity of a company that brought us cars like the wonderful Le mans replica, and many other very attractive little sportscars?
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Well, it looks as if the "lets look green because we're afraid of the opinions of imbeciles" bandwagon has been jumped on by somebody else. Hybrid drivetrains are pointless in cars like this, seeing as the electric motors are made for crawling around cities, not doing some pie-in-the-sky fantasy speed.
    I think you'll find that all of the recent Italdesign concept cars have used alternative propulsion methods.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Is it me or did someone forgot to render the bottom part of the seats?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

maybe they dont want you to slouch
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Italdesign Namir concept #3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information