Thread: What font is the ACBC in the original Lotus logo ?

What font is the ACBC in the original Lotus logo ?

Anyone know what the actual font used for Colin's initials in the Lotus logo ?

Looking to create our own for our team as the decision is it's going to be classic Lotus racing colours - green and yellow stripe.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-17-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Try Classic Team Lotus, they might know.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's one of the Roman fonts, the original ligature was probably drawn by hand.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

yeah csl, we are using one which looks close enough. Just none have the A in that style.
    As you say original was probbably hand drawn and may have been "created" but was thinking that for modern use it will ahve to name the font for trademark reasons ?

Good point Pieter, will try CTL
    Last edited by henk4; 03-09-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: adapted a name.....
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The "A-B" connecting with the single vertical stroke isn't unusual, and some font packages include "A" capitals in that form.
    A good graphic designer will be able to create the ligature for you without any problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ true, but finding the font is easier

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    The "A-B" connecting with the single vertical stroke isn't unusual, and some font packages include "A" capitals in that form.
    A good graphic designer will be able to create the ligature for you without any problems.
    Actually that particular ligature, I believe, is rather uncommon. You won't find an A leaned over in to the B like that in many fonts. I'm fairly certain that is a custom job.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The closest you'll get is most fonts is Ǽ.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Type "A" in Photoshop then skew it over.. 5 minute jobbie.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Or just get some crayons and draw it on.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Yes, usually only the archaic "Ǽ" is included in a fonts' extras, and many designers only include them with interpretations of classic typefaces. Still, with desktop graphic packages it's an easy thing to set the slanted "A" with any other capital that has a left side vertical stroke: B, D, E, F, M, N, R, etc. No need to force it over in photoshop or some other trick... besides, it won't look right. Stroke width is important for the finished image.

As a retired designer I still prefer drafting ligatures from scratch, and suspect the Lotus logo was drawn by Colin himself exactly that way.

^^^ Thanks for all the efforts guys ... turns out we dont need the A anyway. So other fonts are hopefully close enough

I think the proof that Colin may have designed it is clear in that the stroke width is thin and thus supporting the "lightness first" approach and secondly they all take up the same character space on top of each other and thus the space is performing more than one job in the design. True to Colin's ethos

and finally, typical of the failure that is always hiding in a Lotus ... that nobody can be sure by reading what the order of the letters are.

Thanks Colin

but do you own the copyright for the logo?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

no .... but am seeking clearance from Lotus.... out of respect.

But as at the end of the day it wont say LOTUS, nor use the CABC characters, then it's likely to be OK. They dont have the green trademarked or the font or the shape and we are not competign in sales or racing with them So difficult to see any attempt being upheld if we chose to

Hell at the moment it's not clear WHO owns the actual logo and rights to use in F1

Thanks guys, nice to have experts to hand.
    Could have saved us some "design effort" ....
    Quote Originally Posted by csl177 PM
    H & S don't go together graphically easily either
    They dont !

So gave up and went with below .....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information