Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin Cygnet 2011-2013

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Surely not, please Aston be joking, as if your brand image wasn't cheapened enough...
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    My understanding is since fuel regulations are becoming much stricter, AM needs a car like this with a very high mpg rating to boost the overall brand average, since they don't have a parent company to leverage the fuel efficiency rating like Ferrari or Lamborghini does.
    Ironically Lambo's production is small enough and Ferrari's production is almost small enough that they could be immune from the 2012 regulations, however with the V8 Vantage Aston's numbers far exceeded the maximum number of cars.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    This little car has nothing to do with raising profits, market demands or trying to break into a new niche. IMO they HAVE to build a little car like this to comply to the new average fleet-CO2 emission regulations.
    I don't think they even have a choice. The fines for every gram above the allowed CO2 are huge. (around €95/gram IIRC, for every registered vehicle*) They could just throw the Cygnet in when you buy another Aston Martin. That way 50% of the cars they sell will be eco-friendly! hooray!

*A DB9 exchausts 389g/km. The European fleet average-limit is 130g (in 2012). That would mean around €25000 per sold/registered Aston Martin.
    This could be the case, but I still think it's wrong even if it's not directly Aston's fault.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Ironically Lambo's production is small enough and Ferrari's production is almost small enough that they could be immune from the 2012 regulations, however with the V8 Vantage Aston's numbers far exceeded the maximum number of cars.
    Probably with the California Ferrari will top AM sales, at least until the Rapide comes out for real. IRRC AM sold 7.500 cars in 2007, as opposed to Ferrari's 6.000 or so. Bentley was well above the 10.000 mark...now where is the Bentley Polo?
    Maserati was over 15.000 units as well.
    Even considering parent companies it would be ridiculous to set the same limit for companies like VAG or Fiat with millions of cars sold and AM's 10.000 cars (assuming an improvement with the Rapide).
    That's not the point of the project.

And I'm happy to be alone in this "up hill battle".
    At least I'm trying to see seriously why they are doing this, examination the problem, instead of saying it's just ugly, which it is, but it's a bit irrelevant in this case.
    Perhaps in a month time I'll be hating the small swan (quite a symbolic name I'd say), but atm I'm fine appreciating the project (despite not liking the car itself for what I can see).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I do believe that AM is doing what they have to.
    With that i mean that I think that AM has no other option left to meet the exhaust regulations.
    When this means creating a small fuel efficient car. And giving it away, when you buy a proper AM, than i see this as a good thing.

But when you look at the real problem, and that is the "exhaust regulation bill".
    Then everyone must see that this is in no way a good solution.
    This regulation has been set to reduce exhaust emissions. But the result is that wealthy manufacturers are going to produce more cars, just to level out the polluting ones.

Wait a moment, I agree that it would be a waste when manufactures should be stopped making super and hyper cars.
    And I do think that it is a good thing when eco friendly cars are being supported. But when we are going to punish manufactures that produces on such a small scale, then i think we aren going the wrong way.

But back to the Cygnet, I think it could be a cute car. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Probably with the California Ferrari will top AM sales, at least until the Rapide comes out for real. IRRC AM sold 7.500 cars in 2007, as opposed to Ferrari's 6.000 or so. Bentley was well above the 10.000 mark...now where is the Bentley Polo?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was coming...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was coming...
    AFAIK the car got smaller and more efficient. It also can't fit a W42, so no, it isn't coming as a Bentley too .
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    AFAIK the car got smaller and more efficient. It also can't fit a W42, so no, it isn't coming as a Bentley too .
    Well if you use all the cabin maybe you can fit the W42. And some turbos. And it'll probably weight about 6 tons. Just like a Bentley.

So it'd be brilliant...
    Visca Catalunya!

jeez. I guess is Mercedes can build a midget car, so can aston...

Aston Martin Cygnet Concept - first official images

Aston Martin today releases the first official images of the ‘Cygnet’ – a new luxury commuter concept car.

The Cygnet concept represents a creative, environmentally conscious solution, being small, yet with presence – and highly fuel efficient, now combined with the prestige of Aston Martin’s luxury brand ownership.

Work on the concept is ongoing and will continue into 2010 when it is hoped that it will become a production reality initially available to Aston Martin customers in the UK and Europe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The interior is vomitastic.
    Visca Catalunya!

no doubt an effort to arrive at much lower "average brand emission" values. I can't see much wrong in that.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    no doubt an effort to arrive at much lower "average brand emission" values. I can't see much wrong in that.
    I do, but we already discussed that.

The EU, US, or whoever is in charge of those thing should grant a special permit for low volume manufacturers. Or at least different standards.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I do, but we already discussed that.

The EU, US, or whoever is in charge of those thing should grant a special permit for low volume manufacturers. Or at least different standards.
    low volume? less than 500 cars???
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In the end I think the exterior is....tolerable. It's still very much a top & tail job, but the rear lights are a nice touch, and the headlights aren't entirely unattractive.

The Bonnet Speed Louvers are entirely unnecessary, as is the quarter vent.

The interior looks like Max Mosley's wet dream.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    low volume? less than 500 cars???
    Low volume as in AM-like low volume. Well maybe with the V8V they aren't low volume manufacturer anymore, but in any case I doubt Astons damage the environment that much that they have to go through thing like this.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information