Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z06 Carbon

Z06 Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Automobile
    A new seventh-generation (C7) Corvette is at least three years away. That means the current C6 Vette will have to soldier on for nine, possibly ten, full model years. To keep the old girl fresh, Chevy will continue coining limited-edition packages and model variations to juggle the storehouse of engines, transaxles, frames, bodystyles, and chassis components developed for the sixth generation.

A run of 600 GT1 Championship Edition Corvettes celebrated the C6R's 2009 graduation from GT1 to the GT2 class of ALMS road racing competition. The 2010 Corvette Grand Sport replaced the longstanding Z51 option with upgraded wheel, tire, brake, transaxle, and bodywork components.

To rebuild momentum after last summer's quick rinse bankruptcy--which diminished Corvette calendar-year sales to less than 14,000 units (the lowest volume since 1961)--the Corvette team ginned up a 2011 limited edition that helps fill the yawning void between the $75,235 Z06 and the $109,130 ZR1.

Called Z06 Carbon, this Corvette is essentially a Z06 blessed with the ZR1's carbon-ceramic brake system, 20-inch Michelin tires with appropriate black-painted wheels, and Magnetic Selective Ride Control adjustable dampers. The Z06's high-revving 505-horsepower LS7 7.0-liter dry-sump V-8 and its hydroformed aluminum space frame carry on unchanged.

Body features that make the leap from the ZR1 include black headlamps and rear-view mirrors, body-color door handles, and a rear deck spoiler. The list of added carbon-fiber components includes the ZR1's front air splitter, side sill extensions, and hood (minus the acrylic peek-a-boo window). Two paint jobs will be offered when this limited edition enters production this summer: a low key Supersonic Blue and a flamboyant Inferno Orange. Special stick-on racing number placards (11) are included for dealer or owner installation. Chevy pledges that only 500 Carbon edition Corvettes will be built during the 2011 model year.

Naturally there are interior embellishments. Black and charcoal leather and suede trim is standard. Accent stitching in blue or orange is keyed to the exterior color. The Carbon identification is displayed in a steering wheel emblem, door sill plates, seat headrest embroidery, and on a new engine cover.

For customers who prefer the chassis hardware without the body and interior components, Chevy will offer a package called Z07 that can be added to 2011 Z06 Corvettes. And for those with a carbon fiber fetish, there's a new CFZ option containing just the light weight rocker panels, front splitter, rear spoiler, and roof panel available for Z06s (but not base Corvettes).

Prices won't be revealed until the Carbon package is ready for consumption but we're guessing it will cost between $85,000 and $90,000. Look at it this way: at least the proceeds are funding the development of an all new Corvette.
    JIMP.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I'm disappointed. I was hoping it was gonna be a stripped down and lightened Z06 "Scuderia". But other than the carbon-ceramic brakes, it looks like it's mainly just cosmetic touches to please those with a "carbon fiber fetish", as the article puts it, as well as a lot of extra cash. Does anyone really think this is worth $10-15k over the "base" Z06?
    Last edited by demonrunning07; 03-09-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Is this the first application of the MR damper on the high performance Vette? Traditionally MR shocks was only used on "normal" Vette, Z06, ZR1 all had conventional shocks....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Chevy will continue coining limited-edition packages and model variations to juggle the storehouse of engines, transaxles, frames, bodystyles, and chassis components developed for the sixth generation.
    Lol... Chevy doing what they do best. They have to get rid of all the extra parts, so they'll create useless limited edition models just to get rid of the parts. The corvette is one of the only American cars I like, but this is very disappointing. I guess thats what you get from a mass produced vehicle.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

I just like the fact that the individual options will now be available on the Z06, so if you want to order a Z06 that stops better and has shed a few pounds because of carbon fiber bits its now totally possible thanks to the Z07 package.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I just like the fact that the individual options will now be available on the Z06, so if you want to order a Z06 that stops better and has shed a few pounds because of carbon fiber bits its now totally possible thanks to the Z07 package.
    That's very good, go-fast bits with stock appearing exterior. Let's hope they aren't very expensive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    I'll take the other Z06 over this one.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    This. I know of several people that got Z06s, then added ZR1 wheels, tires, brakes and suspension. Now they're offering it from the factory. I think I'd actually prefer this to the ZR1.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

I think the 430 horsepower on the stock Corvette is more than I'd ever need; it'd certainly sate all the speed freak in me. I like that Corvette makes the Z06 and ZR1 but as I've recently realized, driving a car like that on public roads is like dating a smoking hot woman who's a cock tease. You can't get the maximum enjoyment out driving the Z06 or ZR1 as you'd go to jail, and you can't get maximum enjoyment out of the girl either. You'll just be tantalized at what could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think the 430 horsepower on the stock Corvette is more than I'd ever need; it'd certainly sate all the speed freak in me. I like that Corvette makes the Z06 and ZR1 but as I've recently realized, driving a car like that on public roads is like dating a smoking hot woman who's a cock tease. You can't get the maximum enjoyment out driving the Z06 or ZR1 as you'd go to jail, and you can't get maximum enjoyment out of the girl either. You'll just be tantalized at what could be.
    That's what track days and girls with low self esteem are for. It's also why I figure that any high performance car may as well be more track oriented than comfort since even a Miata can get you arrested.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    That's what track days and girls with low self esteem are for. It's also why I figure that any high performance car may as well be more track oriented than comfort since even a Miata can get you arrested.
    That made me laugh so much haha
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

drive an MX-5 then, you can push it to ten tenths and nobody will notice :P
    realise that even on a trackday you wouldn't get the most out of these cars.
    it'd be fun though..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Is this the first application of the MR damper on the high performance Vette? Traditionally MR shocks was only used on "normal" Vette, Z06, ZR1 all had conventional shocks....
    Starting with the Caddy XLR the MR shocks were used on the lower line Corvettes. The story was they couldn't quite take the abuse expected of a Z51 or higher performance package. However with the C6 ZR1 GM seems to feel the problems (if they ever existed) were addressed thus the MR dampers were used on the ZR1 with reportedly great affect. This will be the second application of these dampers on a high performance Corvette. It will be interesting to see what people think of what is in effect a Z06 with better shocks and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Lol... Chevy doing what they do best. They have to get rid of all the extra parts, so they'll create useless limited edition models just to get rid of the parts. The corvette is one of the only American cars I like, but this is very disappointing. I guess thats what you get from a mass produced vehicle.
    Isn't that the same thing Mazda does with the Miata and Porsche does with the 911? I've never understood why it's desperate marketing when GM does it but it's a rare special edition when Porsche does it.

Having driven both Miatas and a Corvette around the same mountain roads, the C6 is more fun. However, I'm not sure I think it is worth the price. The operating costs are much different thanks to the tires. Of course the sticker price is also about twice as much. Also, I must say that it's nice to be able to use 90% of what a Miata has on the road. With the Corvette you rarely feel like you have used all it has. That is somewhat frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Having driven both Miatas and a Corvette around the same mountain roads, the C6 is more fun. However, I'm not sure I think it is worth the price. The operating costs are much different thanks to the tires. Of course the sticker price is also about twice as much. Also, I must say that it's nice to be able to use 90% of what a Miata has on the road. With the Corvette you rarely feel like you have used all it has. That is somewhat frustrating.
    There's also driver talent. Since (most) of us aren't really racing drivers, it's far easier to extract the potential of a 160bhp sportscar than a one that has 430bhp, let alone 630bhp. On public roads sensations are far more important than outright speed, and that's especially important in countries where there's no trackday infrastructure.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information