Thread: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Donkey

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    The cat is out of the bag at a restaurant in northeast China that had been serving donkey meat spiked with tiger urine in pricey dishes advertised as endangered Siberian tigers.

Local media in Heilongjiang province got wind that the restaurant was offering stir-fried dishes and medicinal liquor made from tiger meat and bones, sparking local police and health inspectors to pounce, the China Daily said on Thursday.

"After inspection, the owner confessed that the so-called tiger meat was donkey meat that had been dressed with tiger urine to give the dish a 'special' flavour," the newspaper said.

The restaurant had been charging as much as 800 yuan (53.80 pounds) a dish for the illegal, "rare" fare, tapping into traditional Chinese belief that tiger meat has aphrodisiacal properties.

The restaurant was shut down and fined and the director of the nearby Hengdaohezi Siberian Tiger Park, China's largest centre for breeding the highly endangered animals, reassured the public there was no way meat from its big cats had made its way to the dinner table, the newspaper said.

Only a few hundred Siberian tigers are believed to be alive in the wild in their native habitats of northern China, southern Russia and parts of
    North Korea.

The report did not explain where the tiger urine had come from or how it was collected.
    Sorry to be my usuall spammish self, but I just had to show you guys this
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

i dont see the attraction in exotic meats. theres a gourmet deli that sells venicin but ive never dabbled.

I'd rather have a pizza thank you.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

venicin is rather good. is that even considered exotic? its wild i guess. But there is even dog food that contains venicin.

How long did the restaurant think they could get away w/ this? of course its going to attract attention from the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyknoxville
    i dont see the attraction in exotic meats. theres a gourmet deli that sells venicin but ive never dabbled.
    Venison isn't exotic for us !!!!
    You can get decent Venison steaks for not much more than beef.
    I'd recommend you try it some time, BUT make sure it has been 'hung' long enough. It really IS a lovely taste.

It does raise the question of what IS 'exotic' ?
    Is a properly hung pheasant or grouse or a good piece of beef now exotic because you can't leave the meat to mature before preparing ? I remember leaving pheasant till maggots were just visible as the measure of the ideal length of tiem to 'hang'. That's not permitted anymore so it's nearly impossible to taste the meat at it's best ( unless you do it all yourself )

I alwasy tried to taste as much 'exotic' to me meats as I could when I travelled. It was 'common' where I was visiting though
    Hengdaohezi Siberian Tiger Park, China's largest centre for breeding the highly endangered animals, reassured the public there was no way meat from its big cats had made its way to the dinner table, the newspaper said.
    Bit clearly the piss from their big cats was
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Bit clearly the piss from their big cats was
    I'd hate to be the guy who's job it was to collect it
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

Thread Information