Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just one more reason to hate Ssang Yong

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Yeah, I think we both realise that all this time we've actually been agreeing, it's just the conceptual view of it we don't agree on. You say that it's not a coupe but is attempting to be one, while I say it can't even get away with justifying an "attempt" at being a coupe.

I suppose the important part is that we're both sane enough not to believe the claims made by Mercedes' PR department.
    Never believe those PR people!
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Guys. GUYS. Quiet for a minute. Back to the Actyon.
    Oh god. Its horrible. Shudder.
    I'd like to note that I don't necessarily disagree with the use of the term "4-door coupe", but I do when it involves 4 full-size doors.
    Agreed. But then, this is NOT a 4-door coupe. I would lay claim that my step mothers 4 door Ford Focus is more of a 4 door coupe than this will be.
    And it doesnt have a stupid looking slanted back.
    All about the t-tops

whatever it is, its just another korean crap with probably a mercedes engine....if i saw one i will rub sand paper on it...

The point I'm trying to make is that you can absolutely not have a coupe with four full-size doors, so the body shape is irrelevent. If you have a dog that looks like a cat, it's still a dog. This is because "looking like a cat" isn't what defines what a cat is.

Edit: I'd like to note that I don't necessarily disagree with the use of the term "4-door coupe", but I do when it involves 4 full-size doors. I consider the Mazda RX-8 to be a 4-door coupe.
    In automotive terms coupe refers to 2 full doors. The shape of the car doesn't have anything to do with it.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...per#post413141
    I again completely disagree with both your original and this newly revised attempt at defining the coupe genre - which I note has mutated from your original mandate of coupe as being a 2-door-only ... into this new can-include-4-door-but-the-rear-doors-must-be-small

According to you a vehicle's body shape (ie silhouette) is "irrelevant" to defining a coupe. Although in this latest revision you now decree that it is the shape or relative size of the rear doors that is not just relevant, but one of the crucial determinants of belonging to the coupe fold

Following this strained 'logic' do those pickup trucks featuring the small 'suicide' rear doors also come under your coupe umbrella?

The term 'coupe' has nothing to do with the number of doors, or the size of the doors. It is all about profile & proportion
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...3&postcount=14

It seems ever clearer to me that your definition of coupe is misguided and 'failed at birth' .. which is now causing your category rules to evolve and mutate (re this recent RX8 inclusion) to fit within your failed interpretation(s)
    Last edited by nota; 10-31-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Wow, Nota is absolutely correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A coupé (from the French couper to cut) or coupe is a car body style with a close-coupled interior offering either two seats or 2+2 seating (space for two passengers up front and for two occasional passengers in the rear). Through the 1950s convertible models were sometimes called convertible coupés, but since the 1960s the term coupé has generally been applied exclusively to fixed-roof models. Coupés generally, but not necessarily, have two doors, although automobile makers have offered four-door coupés and three- and five-door hatchback coupés, as well. Modern coupes generally have the styling feature of frameless doors, with the window glass sealing directly against a weatherstrip on the main body.

The SAE distinguishes a coupé from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupé as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 ft³ (0.93 m³, 934 L) of rear interior volume. A car with a greater interior volume is technically a two-door sedan, not a coupé, even if it has only two doors. Some car manufacturers may nonetheless choose to use the word coupé to describe such a model, e.g., the Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

The term however it is never going to become more of a marketing term for automotive manufacturers, calling any two doors (or three door) a coupé. This is mostly due to the fact that coupés in general are seen as more sporty than sedan, hence a coupé would be perceived as sportier than a 2-door sedan. Lately, more and more four door cars are being marketed as coupés, notably the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, which, while technically a sedan, is marketed as a 4-door coupé. Other companies are set to follow Mercedes' example, such as Audi with its rumoured 4-door coupé variant of the upcoming A5.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Ssang Yong- we live to build crap for the engrish market.
    Fixed.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Wow, Nota is absolutely correct:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikepedia
    A coupé (from the French couper to cut) or coupe is a car body style with a close-coupled interior offering either two seats or 2+2 seating (space for two passengers up front and for two occasional passengers in the rear).

However I don't agree with Wiki's limitation to either 2 or 2+2 seating. For contradictory examples (of Oz cars that you're familiar with) consider those low-roof 'Mad Max' Falcon hardtops which are both coupes AND genuine 4/5 seaters. Similarly it's hard to argue within the modern idiom that Monaros aren't coupes

As to the question of profile, ponder on these same-year Plymouth 2-doors - in notchback, fastback and 3-window styles. Each of them were named as coupe models by the manufacturer, although it's obvious that not all of these belong within the literal category. Some people like to think that only 2-door fastbacks are coupes, and vice versa - unless it's an RX8. But only the 3-window is undeniably a coupe, as it's a moot point if this particular grey fastback pictured is truly a coupe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 10-31-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Holy crap, I am so pissed off. I just spent an hour replying to Nota's post as best as possible, and I timed-out on my login. (The college computers do that). Anyways, I hit the back button and everything was gone.

Nota, I'll summarize (I'm sure what I originally wrote was much better, bear with me):

- I defined coupe as having two "full-size" doors, not merely two doors as you said I had stated. This is an important distinction for me - the RX-8 only has two full-size doors, and so my definition hardly "mutated" to accomodate it.

- I was sloppy in defining coupe and not including the term car. I do not consider a 2-door truck to be a coupe because it isn't a car. I figured the fact that the term applies to a car is assumed, maybe I was wrong in doing this, but you'd have to be as much of a nitpick as I am to make a fuss about it

- I showed a selection dictionary definitions for coupe which varied quite a lot, from simply having 2-doors, to something like a "2-door fixed-roof car shorter than a sedan of the same model".

- I stated that, given the wide range of apperently accepted terms for the word, you were a bit harsh in saying my definition was "misguided and 'failed at birth' "

Again, I had a lot more written, and it would make a bit more sense if it hadn't been &()$@ing erased by this bastard machine - Maybe you've suffered the same fate at one point or another and will understand. I'm copying this text to paste in if it does it again.

Three cheers for mature discussion

-Shawn

Maybe you've suffered the same fate at one point or another and will understand.
    Oh boy have I ever and its the pits, so sympathies & sorry if the tone seems harsh

- I was sloppy in defining coupe and not including the term car. I do not consider a 2-door truck to be a coupe because it isn't a car. I figured the fact that the term applies to a car is assumed, maybe I was wrong in doing this, but you'd have to be as much of a nitpick as I am to make a fuss about it

-Shawn
    umm...

Car: a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
    But lets not get into that

Actually that car looks very much like the CR-V in proportions... do you guys see a new lawsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    But lets not get into that
    Or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupe_Utility
    Attached Images Attached Images

my eyes!
    The Datto will rage again...

Holy crapiola that's ugly! And here I was thinking that they couldn't do worse than the Stavic, boy was I wrong!

as Steven Hawking would probably say, what is a coupe? In an infinitely parallel universe, a coupe in other universes may have 4 doors and a sedan has 2 doors , so this makes all other arguments null and void.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information