Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The epitome of American ignorance?

The epitome of American ignorance?

Hardly the best side of NASCAR...
    Jeff Gordon crossed the finishing line in the NASCAR race at Talledega Speedway yesterday while fans of the late Dale Earnhardt pelted his car with beer cans.

The local fans, fanatical supporters of Earnhardt, were showing their displeasure at Gordon winning his 77th NASCAR race - one more than Earnhardt achieved in his epic career.

Gordon was the arch-rival of Earnhardt - and disliked universally by the late NASCAR racer's fans.

The ugly scenes will overshadow Gordon's excellent race to victory. He was comfortably fastest and drove confidently to beat Jimmie Johnson into second.

The race was building into an exciting finale, but a caution period near the end resulted in the final lap being run under yellows.

The slowed pace made Gordon an easy target for the beer can-lobbing Earnhardt fans.
    ...Following the race, hundreds of thousands of Ford Broncos and F-Series trucks were seen leaving the track, each one with the signature rifle and american flag in the back.
    Perhaps many members here are American, but I know that many aren't, and either way, this is just atrocious. What more could you expect from a NASCAR crowd though?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All about the t-tops

I would call the action a form of stupidity, not ignorance. Have you ever been to a NASCAR race or experienced a NASCAR crowd? Your comments seem based on ignorance a lot more.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

They were probably drunk!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Yes they clearly had enough of their beers.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

pretty sure they weren't ignorant, as they knew who was winning and exactly which car to throw beer at?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Drunks don't toss there cans away, There could be dregs in them still

But here is another thing the U.S can learn from around the world, The banning of cans bottles etc from sporting events, We have banned them and do bag checks before we enter any sporting venue.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I would call the action a form of stupidity, not ignorance. Have you ever been to a NASCAR race or experienced a NASCAR crowd? Your comments seem based on ignorance a lot more.
    And generalizations.
    If not ignorance, then disrespectfulness. Whatever word you use, it's pretty bad behaviour.
    All about the t-tops

we have our soccer "fans" behaving in similar ways...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I heard about that. Then there's the police; storming the other fans section (Roma or something?) and literally beating people in the hands, while they hold them out to show they aren't trying to attack anyone.
    While the English fans slipped out quietly...
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    I heard about that. Then there's the police; storming the other fans section (Roma or something?) and literally beating people in the hands, while they hold them out to show they aren't trying to attack anyone.
    While the English fans slipped out quietly...
    Is that the Epitome of Dutch/Italian/British ignorance ?

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Is that the Epitome of Dutch/Italian/British ignorance ?
    hey !!!!
    Please keep the Scots, Irish and Welsh out of this.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hey !!!!
    Please keep the Scots, Irish and Welsh out of this.
    sure, they have their own ignorance category...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    sure, they have their own ignorance category...
    yeah but ours involves lots of drink, partying, making friends and wearing kilts so the women can have a thrill

oh and once actually BELIEVING that we could actually win the World Cup
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    yeah but ours involves lots of drink, partying, making friends and wearing kilts so the women can have a thrill

oh and once actually BELIEVING that we could actually win the World Cup
    I suspected already that it would be very easy for you to come up with lots of examples...

this sort of stuff happens in all sorts of racing and sport events. At Man UTD vs Liverpool football matches at anfield, whichever fans are in the tier above the other are known to poo in plastic bags, piss in cups and lob it at the crowd below

Thread Information