Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's this car?

the car in the first picture is an 82-92 pontiac firebird. firebird is the model. trans am is essentially the equivalent of a camaro z28 its basically just a trim level.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I have to say I think those were very good looking cars for the time. They looked great with 20/20 vision. That is 20 yards away at 20 MPH. Sadly they were not made by Toyota, instead they were 1980s GM which was about as bad as you could get. They styling was good (if 80s trendy), the engineers were told they had no money and had to use existing parts. The cars could move fast (for the time) but rattled and had exceedingly stiff ride. Great to look at but never try to talk with one.
    i had the camaro equivalent of that car. mine was a 92 z28 g92 car. it was the peak of the era. it is decently fast for people who think new civic si's, rsx's, integra's, celica's, lexus is 300's, ect are decently fast. it handles pretty well.

but its a pretty old car, it gives a rough ride, the steering kind of darts all over the place, its not too comfortable, it creaks, rattles, water leaks in during the high pressure wash at a car wash but it does ok in the rain. mine never had any problems.

thing is, is it was made at a time when engineers couldn't figure out how to make decent power while still having decent mileage and smog characteristics while keeping the price managable. The 3rd gen's started in 1982 and the v8's produced barely 200hp haha. 1992 was the best year for the 3rd gen fbody and they made 240 horsepower, 300ish torque(245/350ish for the automatic 350) , got about 26 on the highway and about 17 in the city. and revved to a whooping 5000rpms (horsepower topped out at about 4300). the 1993 (4th gen) made 285 or 305 (z28/ss) and got about the same mileage. by 1998 they were making 320 with better mileage.

i have since moved on to a 2002 z28 (ls1, 6speed) and it blows the 3rd gen out of the water in every imagineable way including gas mileage. its amazing what a few years does engineering wise.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    i have since moved on to a 2002 z28 (ls1, 6speed) and it blows the 3rd gen out of the water in every imagineable way including gas mileage. its amazing what a few years does engineering wise.
    That's what's called progress.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to live with an American 70's-80's car. There's a 1977 Corvette for sale near home, but at 18.000€ I find it expensive. Is it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I've always wondered what it'd be like to live with an American 70's-80's car. There's a 1977 Corvette for sale near home, but at 18.000€ I find it expensive. Is it?
    it's about 24.000 $, yes it is.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

yeah, that is expensive. american cars were pretty weak from 72 was the last good year for musclecars

that's KITT!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

more precise

To be more precise this is a Pontiac Trans Am GTA this is one of the baddest T/A's ever built. 350TPI making like 285 HP this was one mean, fast, good looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    Ohh that makes sense. But now I'm even more confused. A trans am with a firebird badge? What's the difference anyway? Both are old Pontiac sports coupe things? Or is it like the Holden Astra and the Holden Astra, where Holden decided their line-up had room for both at once.
    Firebird bird for the modern Pontiac is the base version while the T/A's are a much nicer version. Both are Firebirds but the T/A's got all the goodies like the v8's, leather, power everything. That is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by in1fastcar View Post
    To be more precise this is a Pontiac Trans Am GTA this is one of the baddest T/A's ever built. 350TPI making like 285 HP this was one mean, fast, good looking car.
    i dont think there was ever a tpi motor that made 285 from the factory

Quote Originally Posted by rooster
    its amazing what a few $dollars$ does engineering wise.
    Fixed.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Thread Information