Thread: BMW and Mercedes drop-tops and extreme MINI for Detroit and more Veyrons from Dubai

BMW and Mercedes drop-tops and extreme MINI for Detroit and more Veyrons from Dubai

January is usually achingly cold in Detroit but BMW and Mercedes-Benz have nevertheless chosen the upcoming North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) to launch their latest drop-tops. The BMW Z4 sDrive35is is not an all new model but does feature a considerable performance upgrade compared to the similarly engined 'sDrive35i'. By bumping the power to 340 bhp from the twin-turbo six cylinder engine, it is just three horsepower short of the original Z4 M. This raises the question why BMW did not simply use the legendary 'M' moniker for this model. That does sound a million times better than sDrive35is. Across the isle from BMW, Mercedes-Benz will reveal the E 500 Cabriolet. This completes the roll-out of the new E-Class generation. The biggest trick up the new Cabriolet's sleeve is an ingenious system to stop turbulence and noise in the cabin when driving with the roof open. Also in Detroit, MINI will showcase the Beachcomber Concept. It is a further preview of the MINI SUV slated for introduction in the fall of 2010.
    Bugatti seems to have ever increasing problems to sell the full production run of Veyrons. At the Motor Show of the plagued United Emirate Dubai, the French supercar manufacturer launched a further three limited edition versions of the 1001 bhp machine. A total of five examples of the Veyron coupe based Nocturne will be available at the bargain price of 1.65 million Euro excluding taxes. One of each will be available of the Sang d'Argent and the Grand Sport Soleil de Nuit. They can be yours for 1.45 and 1.55 Million Euro respectively.
    Also present during the 10th edition of the Dubai show is the Kepler Motors Motion. The all carbon supercar comes from California, complete with at a 550 bhp petrol engine and electric motors good for an additional 250 bhp. The first deliveries are planned for 2011.
    Rounding off today's news are the first pictures of the Aston Martin Cygnet Concept. They came together with a brief note that production of the Aston Martin badged supermini is still the objective.

Enjoy the links:

2009 Aston Martin Cygnet Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 BMW E89 Z4 sDrive35is - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Sang d'Argent - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Nocturne - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Soleil de Nuit - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Kepler Motors Motion - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Mercedes-Benz E 500 Cabriolet - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 MINI Beachcomber Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

my french isn't so good, but doesn't sang d'argent mean "blood of money"?

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Blood of silver.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Blood of silver.
    I think it means both.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think it means both.
    that is correct in modern French, based on the old concept of silver coins once being used for payment, but the original word derived from Latin, means Silver.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that is correct in modern French, based on the old concept of silver coins once being used for payment, but the original word derived from Latin, means Silver.
    Ag = Argentum = Silver

Yup.

Thread Information