Thread: Stunning Porsche collection headed for auction and new hybrid Audi Le Mans racer ...

Stunning Porsche collection headed for auction and new hybrid Audi Le Mans racer ...

Next week, Gooding & Co. will offer the spectacular Drendel Porsche Collection as part of the company's Amelia Island auction. Assembled in less than a decade, the collection of 18 Porsches is without equal. It is the fruit of the labour of one enthusiast, Matt Drendel, who sadly passed away in December of 2010. His family have now opted to offer the complete collection, including all the star cars, which should bring out all Porsche enthusiasts from the woodwork.
    An obvious highlight is the Porsche 917/30, which is still one of the most powerful racing cars ever produced. This particular car was not used in period due to Penske and Porsche's withdrawal from the Can-Am series. It has since been shown and driven extensively in some of the most prestigious events. Our eye was caught particularly by the Porsche 935; one of the two produced for the 1976 and the first ever 935. Raced twice in period, it is today the only 935 used by the factory that is in private hands, so the auction very much is a unique opportunity. Other Porsches of note in the sale include the rare 906E. Our eye was also caught by the 212 Inter that is also part of the Amelia Island sale. Finished in a striking light blue, this early Ferrari is clothed by Touring with a particularly attractive Berlinetta body. It was owned in period by Mike Hawthorn and has benefited from a full restoration in recent years.
    To offer more detailed auction coverage, we have started a dedicated auctions section, which lists past and coming sales. Part of the information is also included in the individual car page of which the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL is a particularly good example. Right now only a few sales have been entered but we intend to expand this section over time.
    Audi have released full details of their 2012 endurance program, which will focus around two distinct versions of last year's Le Mans winning R18. New to the roster is the R18 e-tron quattro. As the name suggests, it features a hybrid drive that powers the front wheels and complements the V6 diesel engine that is shared with the 'conventional' R18. The energy generated under braking is stored in a flywheel, using a system developed by Williams Hybrid Power, similar to that used on Porsche's hybrid 911 racer. The R18 e-tron quattro is scheduled to make its debut at Spa in May, ahead of a two-car effort at Le Mans.

Enjoy the links:

1950 - 1953 Ferrari 212 Inter Touring Berlinetta - Images, Specifications and Information

1976 Porsche 935 - Images, Specifications and Information

1973 Porsche 917/30 - Images, Specifications and Information

Auctions 2012 - Ultimatecarpage.com

2012 Audi R18 e-tron quattro - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

It's slightly amazing that the Porsche 917/30 had 1100bhp out of a turbo 5.4l in 1973, when merely 15 years later the Formula 1 engines were approaching that (or perhaps meeting that in qualifying trim) with 1.5l.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    It's slightly amazing that the Porsche 917/30 had 1100bhp out of a turbo 5.4l in 1973, when merely 15 years later the Formula 1 engines were approaching that (or perhaps meeting that in qualifying trim) with 1.5l.
    I think the Porsche was running very low boost levels compared to the F1 cars.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The source of all knowledge has the 917/30 running 2.7 bar in qualifying trim with 1580 hp, and the 1988 F1 cars limited to 2.5 bar, the year before having 4 bar.

The development of the turbo in racing was fairly rapid I would suppose.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    If only I had money, that 917/30 would be mine and I'd be blasting it round Mallory Park (10 mins away) for all it's worth.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

I imagine the F1 cars had higher compression ratios than the Porsche's 6.5:1 as well.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I'd be blasting it round Mallory Park (10 mins away) for all it's worth.

Thread Information