Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMC Jaguar Mk 2 by Callum

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf

CMC Jaguar Mk 2 by Callum

MARK 2 BY CALLUM UNVEILED

Ian Callum puts his personal twist on the famous Mark 2

Thursday 28th August 2014 – A unique Jaguar Mark 2 redesigned by Ian Callum, Director of Design at Jaguar Cars, and reengineered by leading restorers Classic Motor Cars Limited (CMC) has been unveiled at the opening of the company’s new headquarters in Bridgnorth, Shropshire.

The building was officially opened by motorcycle and Formula One Grand Prix world champion John Surtees OBE and the car was unveiled by Jaguar’s legendary test driver Norman Dewis.

CMC’s new building complex is one of the biggest of its kind in the UK. Fitted out to the highest standards and with new paint and trim shops, it provides some 40,000 square feet of production space, allowing CMC to cover every aspect of a car’s restoration in-house, except for chrome plating. Another 24,000 square feet is provided for bespoke classic car storage.

This exciting 18 month joint project between Ian Callum and CMC has endeavoured to retain the integrity of the original Mark 2, whilst making it even more exciting in shape and performance.

Ian Callum said: “This is a very personal statement. A long held notion that, although the Mark 2 has always been a beautiful car, it could be even more exciting in shape and performance. Whilst maintaining the purity of the car’s form, I wanted to add a number of modern twists to the design. Simplification and clarity was my objective.”

The car has been redesigned by Ian for his own personal use and, working with CMC's engineers, it now boasts a huge number of aesthetic and technical modifications that make this a practical, reliable, enjoyable and exciting everyday vehicle.

Featuring a modified and uprated 4.3 litre XK engine, 5-speed manual gearbox, unique independent rear suspension and upgraded front brakes, the Mark 2 by Callum provides an intuitive driving experience.

Commenting on the specifications, Ian said: “The stance of the Mark 2 is already excellent, but I wished to make it even better. The car’s form is now 30mm lower and sits on 17” split rim spoke wheels. The bumpers are now part of the overall form. It is a fine balance of extracting and adding.

“I have always loved traditional louvres as seen on many older race cars. Four louvres appear on the side of the car to add to that sense of power and ‘something different’. Of course they had to work, so they have been designed in a low-pressure area for a better internal airflow from the modified engine.”

The suspension has been designed and reengineered by CMC. The front incorporates a bespoke power assisted rack, uprated coil springs, roll bar and wishbone bushes, adjustable dampers and solid subframe mountings, repositioned to improve anti-dive characteristics. The unique independent rear suspension now includes uprated coil springs, blade control wishbones, outboard disc brakes, an anti-roll bar and adjustable dampers.

The car has been fitted with Clarion’s NZ502E single DIN multimedia station, a high technology in car entertainment system with a 16cm flip-out touch screen, amongst other features, and component loudspeakers in specially-designed housings. The cabling has been provided by VDC Trading, as used in the world’s top recording and mastering studios, such as Abbey Road.

Peter Neumark, Chairman of CMC, said: “The wide-ranging list of modifications in the Mark 2 shows just how much design and engineering development has gone into this venture from the original car. To be chosen by Ian Callum to work with him on his project is a testament to the skills and passion that exist within our business, and is something that CMC are immensely proud of.”

Ian said: “Every time I go to CMC it excites me to see so many wonderful machines being worked on with passion. I always leave feeling a much happier person.”

John Surtees OBE said: “I have long admired the designs of Ian Callum, to be present at the unveiling of Ian’s personally redesigned and updated Jaguar Mark 2 is a privilege, and I am honoured to be officially opening the premises that have made this extraordinary project possible.”

Norman Dewis said: “I have been associated with Jaguar for more than 60 years and was their Chief Development Test Engineer for 33 years. I have always been excited to work with them and over the years I have come to know and respect the work that CMC have carried out restoring Jaguar’s heritage. Mark 2 by Callum is something special and I was delighted when I was asked to unveil the car. It is something that both Ian Callum and CMC should be very proud of.”

CMC and Ian Callum would like to thank Clarion, Royal Air Force Museum Cosford, Severn Valley Railway and VDC Trading.

Note to editors:

The car will make its first outing to Salon Prive on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th of September at Syon House in Brentford, TW8 8JF.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Mk 2 by Callum #2
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Mk 2 by Callum #3
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

Mk 2 by Callum #4
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

Does it come with Lucas Electrics for that extra level of authenticity?

I'm not sure if that cheapo looking audio system works with the car. Everything else looks good though.

I personally think it looks horrible.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yea I'm not a big fan. The bumpers and rear wheel arches look tacked on, the audio system is tacky (maybe could have explored those guys that make new systems look like old ones?). It has some good points though, and I'm sure all the engineering in it is top notch.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I personally think it looks horrible.
    100% correct.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

There is nothing new to the rear wheel arches, they just fitted bigger wheels with new tires, see attached picture of an original Mk 2 3.8
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

Just received the new press text of CMC: They will built a few cars due to many customer requests.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

... with a pricetag of about €450,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    ... with a pricetag of about €450,000.

But you can choose your own interior and exterior colours!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Oh dear.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Interesting that otherwise-successful designers seem to do such a bad job on other's cars; perhaps it's an inventors-vs.-innovators thing.

Here's Raymond Loewy's E-Type:
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Even the original designer when they try to work on their earlier works can strike out...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyus8d9TfMs&t=23s"]Aston Martin Vanquish 25 By CALLUM: A Legend Returns | Carfection - YouTube[/ame]

I appreciate the mechanical updates. The orange flourishes don't work for me. I've always said, a "restomod" Ferrari Enzo would go miles to update the weakest link, the gearbox, potentially breathing new life to a wonderful N/A V12.

If you want an article, Google Jalopnik Vanquish by Callum. The links are not posting right in the forum.

Thread Information