Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: PS3 price.. and more

its simple maths
    Xbox 360 is = to PS3 (now)
    Xbox360 + Wii >>> PS3
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I hear alot of people say various things about who is better. Its not just about how pretty the game looks anymore. Theres so much more to consider, like the online play, the multimedia possibilities, the controllers (motion or not?)...the list goes on.
    can i change that to "rumble or not"???

If it comes down to the controllers sony wins. If it comes down to online 360 wins. if it comes down to graphics, then around this time next year i predict sony wins. If it comes down to multimedia sony wins. If it comes down to fanbase sony wins. If it comes down to storage medium sony wins(Blu Ray). If it comes down to price, 360 wins. if it comes down to value, IMO sony wins. And if it comes down to the most important aspect, games, i would think that sony wins.
    ok, controllers i have only seen one game that actually uses motion sensing and that was warhawk. It looked pretty awkward to me. The xbox 360 controller is probably the best controller i have ever held. The ps3 controller is dual shock 2 with tilt sensors and thats about it.

value certainly sony doesnt win. Maybe if you include blu ray but when you consider that out of all the people i have talked to IRL about ps3 think $1000AU is ridiculous for a console. They say theres no way they will buy it at that price even if it does have blu ray. Also consider how many people actually own HDTVs right now, there really isnt very many. When ps3 launches, blu ray wont be a selling point for many people since they dont have a HDTV and probably arent considering buying one for a while.

Games is a subjective issue but there really isnt a whole lot of ps3 games that arent gonna be on xbox 360. The only killer apps for ps3 seem to be MGS4 and heavenly sword atm. Compare that with xbox 360 games (gears of war, forza 2, halo 3, lost planet, fable 2, prey, etc. etc.) which all seem to me (and to the people that were actually at E3) to be system sellers. People will buy xbox 360 for any of those games. PS3 might have a few more by launch though, we'll see.

Then again Microsoft could pull up some major kick ass moves. The latest being GTA4 released simultaneously on PS3 and 360. Other than that sony looks to be in a good position. Their fanbase is so strong. While microsoft try to grab new buyers, sony has an army of fanboys (100 times the size of 360s) armed with $600+ waiting for november.
    looks like you havent been visiting the playstation forums lately. A hell of a lot of people have said they wont be buying ps3. Sony's fanbase will dwindle if they keep pulling the crap that their E3 was.
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    can i change that to "rumble or not"???
    No, because now the 360 is the only one without motion.

The xbox 360 controller is probably the best controller i have ever held. The ps3 controller is dual shock 2 with tilt sensors and thats about it.
    Whats bad about dual shock? I have an X360 controller (USB for PC) and it feels nice, but i would take dual shock any day. Ive used it for so long, everybody is used to it.

value certainly sony doesnt win. Maybe if you include blu ray but when you consider that out of all the people i have talked to IRL about ps3 think $1000AU is ridiculous for a console. They say theres no way they will buy it at that price even if it does have blu ray.
    With the inclusion of Blu ray it is excellent value, compared to upcoming blu ray players. I do agree though it is really flirting with the boundaries of a game system. But then again its not just a game system anymore. Its a blu ray player, it accepts flash cards, SD cards, makes use of networking and ive heard it will feature a music store with the network HUB (dont take my word for it ive only heard of it).

Games is a subjective issue but there really isnt a whole lot of ps3 games that arent gonna be on xbox 360. The only killer apps for ps3 seem to be MGS4 and heavenly sword atm. Compare that with xbox 360 games (gears of war, forza 2, halo 3, lost planet, fable 2, prey, etc. etc.) which all seem to me (and to the people that were actually at E3) to be system sellers. People will buy xbox 360 for any of those games. PS3 might have a few more by launch though, we'll see.
    Over the last couple of months game sites have been saying the opposite. And BTW i havent heard of may of those titles^^ PS3 has GT4, MGS, Killzone, GTA4 etc. But on the topic of GTA i dont know whats going on. I know the basic facts that there will be a simultaneous launch for 360 and PS3, but there will be a huge issue with storage. At the end of last year, rockstar said that they were taking full advantage of working with blu ray to make the game as big a possible with all the extra storage space that blu ray offers. But 360 still uses last gen DVDs, so i seriously doubt whether the games will be identical. And on the topic of the HDDVD ADD ON for the 360, nobody know how much it will be, and ofcourse its an add on and adds further to the price. Maybe it's price will level out the playing field?

looks like you havent been visiting the playstation forums lately. A hell of a lot of people have said they wont be buying ps3. Sony's fanbase will dwindle if they keep pulling the crap that their E3 was.
    Its a playstation, ofcourse it will sell. The playstation fanbase will not grow smaller than the 360, lol. It may reduce due to the price, but IMO the 360 will never beat it when it comes to fanbase. Its been out since 1994. Im not a huge fan or fanboy, but i have had a ps1, ps2 and i will buy a ps3. Im considering getting a 360 soon too, once i see truly next gen games.
    Last edited by adrenaline; 05-13-2006 at 03:03 AM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Ive bought all the gens of the Playstation so far, and was very much looking forward to this model too. But whether Ive been reading the xbox-biased pages, but this PS3 doesnt seem to have got much over the 360. Ive always been amazed by the orig xbox graphics, some games on it looked utterly delicious. The Ps2 won it for me because it had GT4, and I think in the end that will clinch it again for me, but just.
    Porsche!

POint raised that networking is going to be one of THE defining factors in gaming.

So, was Sony's first attempt at network play REALLY that bad ?
    I know of one guy who tried it and said it was awful.

Coudl this be Sony's achiles heel ?
    Will people give Sony antoehr chance to try to get it working this time around ?
    IN the meantime if MS bring on line to PC *AND* Xbox simultaneously will that be a lock-in ?

My thoughts are yes, a few will and yes.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    ditto, except im buying a 2nd for myself!

and if your interested in PS3, your going to love this!!!

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/713/713809/imgs_1.html

^^^Gran Turismo HD^^^^^

stop spending money on your truck and get a proper little race car
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

OUCH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by external TechRepublic note
    The estimated total bill of materials for Sony's next-generation game console will be between $725 and $905, according to various estimates.
    So at announced prices, I'm guessing Sony won't really want to sell TOO many !!
    Loss leading on hardware and hoping to make it all up in software is a dangerous route, especially this time around as Sony isn't as inancailly strong as in the past.
    THese numbers tell MS tho' that a price war will hurt SOny a LOT more htan MS. I think I'll hold off till the blood has dried on teh walls
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    POint raised that networking is going to be one of THE defining factors in gaming.

Will people give Sony antoehr chance to try to get it working this time around ?
    IN the meantime if MS bring on line to PC *AND* Xbox simultaneously will that be a lock-in ?

PS3 didnt really have a networking platform like the 360: You needed different passwords for each game, as each game provided its own network interface...so it was pretty awful. It hurt even more as XBOX had just ONE big networking interface, with ONE password etc etc...

And yeah microsoft having vista...that is all the advantage they will ever need. They can tie in 360 with vista all they want, aswell as with messenger and whatever else. Im surprised they havent done anything drastic involving windows and XBOX up to this point...
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    stop spending money on your truck and get a proper little race car
    at the price sony is selling the PS3 that's actualy a viable option
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by .M.
    I had just read this and it just about had a heart attack.

The game is 12 times the resolution of GT4!

TWELVE TIMES!

You god damned fanboy... Shut your mouth a moment. The flippin thing is Gran Turismo 4 with a much higher resolution and some minor additions of details. There's no way it's going to be the awesomest thing ever if it's released like that! They need to add far more to the equation; completely redo the graphics to a much, much higher degree; do the full job. And that's *just* graphics. The huge amount of cars, tracks, parts, and other fun things is gonna be the bigger thing. They need more cars, a full-on in-car view, hell; they should merge Tourist Trophy into the next GT too!

I read your first post and basically skipped the next few pages because that shit simply reaks of fanboyism. Also the bit about the gyro-movement in the PS3 controller, and how it's supposed to "beat the Wii"... Ha. I think it was already explained anyhow.

IMO GTA4 will be truly next gen. They were the first to really show excellence when the PS2 came out...and theyre not rushing it this time with the game being the better part of 2 yars away!
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

About the games that everyone seems to be arguing about, I'm amazed how it seems that only a few have experience from more than one console/console manufacturer. Has anyone waiting for a new Metal Gear Solid ever tried Splinter Cell? Has anyone arguing about the car games beaten both Forza and Gran Turismo? It's hard to take someone's console FPS (first person shooter) opinions/advice seriously that hasn't played (tried doesn't count) games like Halo 1&2, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six... Final Fantasy, Fable etc etc fans that have not played a proper RPG (role playing game) on a computer. People talking about playablility and fun, entertaining gaming that haven't experienced games like Mario and Monkey Ball. Controllers debates based on people trying a console out at a game store... the list goes on.

On this site most of us don't go claiming the best car we've driven to be the the unquestionably greatest car ever made. Why should console debates be so different?

Xbox LIVE definately is an ace for MS. A brilliant multiplayer mode can easily increase a good games life time ten-fold. It was the main reason that the great games PS2 had to offer eventually gathered dust whilst my Xbox was in constant use and eventually took over totally. The 360 continued from there,
    as I could still play the old games with my good ol' Live-buddies as well as "move on" to the "next gen" ones. I have to admit it will be a step for me if/when I'm getting the PS3 and have to establish my amazing reputation () again from scratch, perhaps I will chose to spend that time to keep building my existing one on XBL instead?
    OUCH!!!

So at announced prices, I'm guessing Sony won't really want to sell TOO many !!
    Loss leading on hardware and hoping to make it all up in software is a dangerous route, especially this time around as Sony isn't as inancailly strong as in the past.
    That was the case with the first Xbox aswell, and not making money off the console, but the games is a concept that's been going on for years! I don't think selling the consoles at a loss (although a quite big one) will be the problem for Sony.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    That was the case with the first Xbox aswell, and not making money off the console, but the games is a concept that's been going on for years! I don't think selling the consoles at a loss (although a quite big one) will be the problem for Sony.
    No, the component cost was only about $100 more than the retail price.
    Sony is taking a MUCH bigger bite into the bankroll before they make profit

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/e30...ede-173469.php

Oh dear, thats gotta hurt, with both Microsoft and Sony praising the Wii, im thinking that Sony have to shift a large amount of attention to the Wii. With MS having solid sales in America and no doubt Nintendo will get ALOT of sales in Japan due to thier rich background thier. Its now game on for sure, with the very high pricing and alot of people considering the necessity for the Blu ray player, its going to be an interesting few years. The 360 is expected to hit 10 million sales + which is relatively comfy. Sony will do well, but how well? The Wii is looking tastier each time a new piece of information is released about it. Nintendo - you've done it again.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

No, the component cost was only about $100 more than the retail price.
    Sony is taking a MUCH bigger bite into the bankroll before they make profit
    A hundred, a few hundred, what's the difference? MS will probably use this as an advantage, as they can (and proably will) lower the retail price of the 360 once the PS3 is released. How much it will affect Sony's sales is to be seen.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information