Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear Series 13 [May contain spoilers]

with a Swiss license plate?

now they do......
    Last edited by henk4; 11-29-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

ah bad news, bye bye Mininova!

searching for alternatives..

Edit: watched it, loved it. way much better than E1 and E2.
    Last edited by Dary; 11-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.

I'm only going to say...

Forza Lancia!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

One of the best episodes in my opinion in the last 2 series. Enjoyed it very much!
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    One of the best episodes in my opinion in the last 2 series. Enjoyed it very much!
    agreed
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm only going to say...

Forza Lancia!
    They said your car sucked...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    They said your car sucked...
    Thing is I mainly agree with them.

I want a Fulvia. No, actually I need a Fulvia...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A "typical" stitch up job on the Hawk
    Kit car construciton of Hawk kits are NOT the kind where idiots can make dangerous cars.

Hmmm, caliper locked up on the front. GUARANTEE you that the reality of that was they overheated the road pads and de-laminated it. DOne that myself with rears on the RX-8 at Donnington SHOULD have made sure they had fast road pads in place.

and the Stig as a circuit race driver was not the right style of driver for the car.
    If you go look at the Stratos in it's heyday then it was constantly sideways. With such a short wheelbase, trying to keep it straight and level on the racing line on road tyres/road setup is asking to be bucked Driven like the greats once did by MAKING it be sideways coudl ahv ebeen a different story.

BUT, hey a kit car that could have beaten all of JC's beloved vehicles woudl NOT be permitted at TG. Same as he had it in for the A610

However, HOW the hell he got in and out I do not know -- putting his comedy routine aside. I'm 6 inches shorter than JC and *I* was uncomfortable getting in and even more worried that if it DID all go tits up there was NO WAY I would be able to get out quickly.

Gonna monitor the kit car sales sites and see if this drops the price. I'd buy a V6 Hawk at the drop of a pin .... mate thinks he knows whose car that was and is checking out today
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There was no way they were going to give that thing a fair review. They put in 30 odd laps of flawless driving and then picked the worst to show. They also blew up the poor guys engine.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Top Gear is awsome,,,,Poor Richard Hammon having to hear all of the short jokes from Jearomy......

The whole blimp thing was annoying. More Lamborghini, less airship please.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

The TOp Gear mantra ..... it is only ENTERTAINMENT

and the sirship is classis as it flew over mates flat clearly visible ... and "crashed" two fields away -- not covered in the show
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Rocle, so how many of this weeks did you know in advance ?
    The truth is once a "format" is alid down then it defines a pattern.
    SOMETIMES, SOME people will have a stronger affinity to realise what's happending/going to happen and other times they won.t

AND as for it beig over controlled, puppetteered, then I was talking to a person onvolved at the periphery adn they said that this year the editing is running REAL late and mcuh more is having to be done on the few days leading up to broadcast ... wehre in the past most of it is "in the can" with the exception of the in-hangar links.

It's a scripted show.... adn YES, you guys don't understand British Humour. Go watch the "carry on" movies You coudl read the title and know every joke and innuendo that was going to play out ... ubt still they were great laughs

There ARE differences in humour and we need to embrace. Best example is look at "the office" .. the US version is MUCH mroe devolved, perhaps even Evolved . More variety, involvement, differences. CHekc otu the original Gervais creation -- whci moist Brits will still proclaim better - and even the LAST series had the same awkward silences, poses, expectations as the first. That's where there is a difference. US shows build success and then emply teams of writers to "keep it fresh". TG is still a fwe guys coming up with wacky ideas and then trying to convince the BBC to fund it at an appropriate level.

BUT ... "top gear mantra" ... it is ENTERTAINMENT

ha ha ha FFS, the idiots who report on Top Gear from the periphery astound me ... even STILL

Top Gear stunt in which airship flew over airport exposed as a carefully orchestrated fake
    By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:14 AM on 03rd December 2009

The BBC is facing a new fakery row after it was revealed one of Top Gear's most spectacular stunts was 'set up'.
    Sunday's episode featured footage of presenter James May apparently flying an airship with a caravan beneath it across Britain.

Millions of fans watched as May, 46, appeared to stray accidentally over Norwich airport, provoking police to intervene.

Steve O'Brian, of Sterling Helicopters, who supplied the police helicopter, said that although May appeared to be piloting the airship alone, a professional took the wheel for the difficult manoeuvres.

'The whole event was set up,' he said. 'It was completely scripted, there was no real emergency - we were hired to play along.'

A BBC spokesman said: 'As an entertainment programme, Top Gear prides itself on making silly films that don't pretend to represent real life.
    'Any suggestion it deliberately misled viewers is patently ludicrous.'

Read more: Top Gear stunt which saw airship flying over airport exposed as a carefully orchestrated fake | Mail Online

Actually guys, please do NOT folloow the link to the Daiy Mail trash paper.
    Don't give them the exposure. They make FOX look balanced and intelligent and Glenn Beck a "balanced analyst"

Thought just a sample of the "newst" posts to the papers own site woudl show what 99.999999% of viewers think of TG Enjoy
    So what if it was a fake. It was funny... Top Gear is one of the funniest programs on tv . People should just take whole thing as a bit of fun (which it was) and just enjoy it for what it is...FUN... I think now days people are loosing their sense of humour. So don't knock things... just enjoy them life is too short.
    - Gazza9090, Lincoln UK, 03/12/2009 15:54
    Click to rate Rating 23 Report abuse
    The show just gets better and better. My wife thoroughly enjoys the show you can always ensure some fun will be had. Good News: The Dacia Sandero stunt was also faked. May - you deserve an oscar !

Top Gear - A BBC masterpiece
    - ME, Bromsgrove, UK, 03/12/09, 03/12/2009 15:51
    Click to rate Rating 23 Report abuse
    It was just entertainment for goodness sake, why the sensational non-expose? Must admit I have lost admiration for most newspaper reporters ever since the media claimed Batman and Robin were gay.
    - Trevor, Gwent, Wales., 03/12/2009 15:43
    Click to rate Rating 18 Report abuse
    Are you serious? Did anyone actually think this was real? For a start the airship was being filmed from another helicopter whilst going over the airport. Secondly, there were camera crews filming from the ground. Do people just think this camera crew raced to the airport to film him flying over it? Of course it was staged!

If the show was advertised as a documentary then perhaps you would have ground to complain. But as it is, it's an entertainment programme. Millions of people watch it every Sunday and will continue to watch it for what it is, great entertainment.

Long live Top Gear!
    - Gareth Jones, Milton Keynes, 03/12/2009 15:25
    Click to rate Rating 15 Report abuse
    Why can't we see how many votes a comment has on both sides (red AND green) rather than just which is in the majority?
    - James Hargreaves, Mamers, France, 03/12/2009 13:31

This is a really good idea!
    - emm, temp expat, Amman, Jordan, 03/12/2009 15:23
    Click to rate Rating 5 Report abuse
    Having read many of the comments here, it is widely acepted, as i thouhght it would, the public are not idiots or easily takenm in by an obvious stunt. Top Gear does just about everything with tongue in cheek and we all know it.

I did not read anywhere in the article identifying "...a new fakery row..." within the BBC. Who said so and when did they say it. Indeed, what did they say?
    - Ed O'Brien, Dursley, England, 03/12/2009 15:17

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Rocle, so how many of this weeks did you know in advance ?
    The truth is once a "format" is alid down then it defines a pattern.
    SOMETIMES, SOME people will have a stronger affinity to realise what's happending/going to happen and other times they won.t

AND as for it beig over controlled, puppetteered, then I was talking to a person onvolved at the periphery adn they said that this year the editing is running REAL late and mcuh more is having to be done on the few days leading up to broadcast ... wehre in the past most of it is "in the can" with the exception of the in-hangar links.

It's a scripted show.... adn YES, you guys don't understand British Humour. Go watch the "carry on" movies You coudl read the title and know every joke and innuendo that was going to play out ... ubt still they were great laughs

There ARE differences in humour and we need to embrace. Best example is look at "the office" .. the US version is MUCH mroe devolved, perhaps even Evolved . More variety, involvement, differences. CHekc otu the original Gervais creation -- whci moist Brits will still proclaim better - and even the LAST series had the same awkward silences, poses, expectations as the first. That's where there is a difference. US shows build success and then emply teams of writers to "keep it fresh". TG is still a fwe guys coming up with wacky ideas and then trying to convince the BBC to fund it at an appropriate level.

BUT ... "top gear mantra" ... it is ENTERTAINMENT
    I won't debate this with you because it's not going anywhere. I promise you that, I know you won't give up. All I'll say is that a few of the stunts this year came off as 'oh I get it you're 3 idiots at this point.. but it wasn't very funny or entertaining'. Usually though it's 'I get it, you guys are 3 idiots but what you just did there had me laughing pretty hard'. The cases I'm talking about where I thought they just screwed up the joke or took the puppeteering too far is rare and I was highlighting that a few weeks ago because it was definitely present in the premiere episode.

TL;DR version: In two cases that were staged and meant to be funny:

case 1: waking up looking at dam and joking about idiocy and soviet structural tech. eh, obviously staged, shitty acting, not very funny

case 2: James May getting blown into a heavily trafficked airspace and communicating with air-traffic control while pioneering a RV-blimp. That I found pretty damn funny, regardless of how impractical or unbelievable a stunt like that would be to pull off

In the end we're arguing whose opinion is right. No thanks
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information