Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The skies of Europe are quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    I like the one going around here that the UK were fed up and intended to send a note demanding immediate CASH , but a typo occurred in the e-mail.
    That's going to be a classic

im not too bothered about all this ash cloud. im pretty sure its john locke escaped from the island anyway.

the only way it effects me is that liverpool have had to make an epic journey involving all kinds of transport to get to madrid for the UEFA cup game tomorrow. and if it affects their performance. i'll be raging.
    Last edited by Cotterik; 04-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Real numbers or not, it's the fact you put two figures of speech up against each other, which is wrong.
    Just because volcanic ash makes it 1000 times more dangerous doesn't mean that it's "only" 1 out of 1000 of crashing! (using our "maths"), it's more likely that a plane flying thru the ash has a 1/1000 chance of NOT crashing!
    I see where you are coming from now.

But I don't follow how a 1000 times more dangerous equates to a the chances of NOT crashing of 1/1000.

Originally I said the chances of a crash where 1:1,000,000. So if it 1000 times more dangerous don't you just multiply the 1 by a 1000. Then you get in 1000:1,000,000 = 1:1,000 of a crash.

Is the math wrong, or is it just the terminology "1000 times more dangerous" that causes the disconnect?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I see where you are coming from now.

But I don't follow how a 1000 times more dangerous equates to a the chances of NOT crashing of 1/1000.

Originally I said the chances of a crash where 1:1,000,000. So if it 1000 times more dangerous don't you just multiply the 1 by a 1000. Then you get in 1000:1,000,000 = 1:1,000 of a crash.

Is the math wrong, or is it just the terminology "1000 times more dangerous" that causes the disconnect?
    Well, it don't equate to 1/1000 of NOT crashing, i just stated that to clarify that it's very dangerous to hit such a cloud.

The math is right, 1,000,000 / 1000 = 1000, that is correct. But firstly the figure of speech "1000 times more dangerous" is just a way of telling its VERY dangerous - It's sound "good" when said in the media - therefor it cant be used for calculating statistics.
    Secondly you can't take 2 risk factors and divide them up in each other as there will be some formalities that will clash (ex that the original risk factor has the ash calculated in it (which is not the case)).

Looks like that's London back to "normal".
    Edinburgh still quite quiet. I'm guessing because the airline are diverting their planes to clear the larger/busier hubs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Loving radar virtuel. Lulz though at my crappy work IE6 which struggles with anything bigger than a gif and chooses to virus scan pages at the most inopertune moments.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Loving radar virtuel. Lulz though at my crappy work IE6 which struggles with anything bigger than a gif and chooses to virus scan pages at the most inopertune moments.
    Some need to switch to mac (not trying to de-rail the thread )

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Some need to switch to mac (not trying to de-rail the thread )
    haha. chrome at home on vista does fine, just work PC is slow. Nothing personal against macs though.

Another quiet day at Aberdeen airport. Makes commuting past the airport a dream with all that airport traffic gone. As an aside I had to laugh at the taxi rank mutterings as all the airport taxis have been in to city centre stealing business with no air travellers.
    autozine.org

BBC News - RAF Typhoon training halted as ash found in engine

The CAA also says conclusions should not be drawn from the RAF's statement about the air-worthiness of civilian aircraft.
    My cynical side says, AGREED..... the RAF dont have shareholders worrying about profit first
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

*totally shocked*
    "The ash cloud returns!!!!!"
    *ohnoes*
    "The airport of Reykjavik has been closed...again!!!"
    *mass panic*
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I didn't think Reykjavik airport had to be closed because all the ash was to the south..? Or did they close it anyway?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

This is for you, sister!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information