Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Furai

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Restrictor plates are more restrictive to rotarys. The R20B was being choked, only producing about 400hp.

I sure wish they would too. LOL I almost replied "On any given weekend more Mazdas are roadracing than any other brand," but I was afraid of coming off as being a typical smartass American prick.
    Restrictors are larger on rotaries yes, but only slightly so. Why doesn't Mazda make a large rotary that pushes the boundaries of the rules and has like 240 hp/L? That car would only last 1 year before being banned surely but they could own the ALMS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Restrictors are larger on rotaries yes, but only slightly so.
    That might be true, but the restrictors might effect the rotaries worse than they do normal reciprocating engines.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Aren't rotaries penalised in terms of displacement too?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Aren't rotaries penalised in terms of displacement too?
    No. To compare the displacement with a four stroke engine, a rotary's displacement is doubled. This has been the same since the first rotary engines hit the track.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Restrictors are larger on rotaries yes, but only slightly so. Why doesn't Mazda make a large rotary that pushes the boundaries of the rules and has like 240 hp/L? That car would only last 1 year before being banned surely but they could own the ALMS!
    Why would a car built to the regulations be banned? There is no way that a rotary engined LMP car will be close to competing with the top runners, no matter how hard Mazda might try.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    No. To compare the displacement with a four stroke engine, a rotary's displacement is doubled. This has been the same since the first rotary engines hit the track.
    I have not seen this explicitly expressed in the rules anywhere.

Once again, I could be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Why would a car built to the regulations be banned? There is no way that a rotary engined LMP car will be close to competing with the top runners, no matter how hard Mazda might try.
    I meant that if there is such an opportunity for Mazda to exploit the rules, the rules would be modified after the season so that rotaries would be penalized.

Why is this? I thought that Mazda or a rotary team could run a 4L turbocharged rotary in LMP. Mazda's 787B had just short of 250 hp/L (rumored to make 900 odd hp at 11,000 rpm if not limited to 9,000 rpm) and as this is turbocharged I don't see why it couldn't make even more specific power - tentatively this engine could produce 1000 odd peak hp before the air restrictors are taken into account. The air restrictors would limit this power to a degree I am not sure of but it doesn't seem unreasonable they this engine could produce power similar to that of Audi or Peugeot's LMP1 effort.

Hell, Mazda could even opt to go for a 6L naturally aspirated engine with possibly even greater power.

Mazda may not have the monetary resources that Audi or Peugeot do, but if they had a car developing 1000 odd hp without air restrictors, I wouldn't be surprised if they did very well indeed.

12 cylinders or walk!

2ndlclass, your custom user title ("Just ****ing make it!") sums up my sentiments exactly. What a wicked looking machine, and yes, it couldn't be mistaken for anything else and definitely has a Japanese identity. I like the whole design!

We need this car, out racing, out shredding the tracks!!! PS: Any Hi-Res pics around the web?
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

I
    Mazda may not have the monetary resources that Audi or Peugeot do, but if they had a car developing 1000 odd hp without air restrictors, I wouldn't be surprised if they did very well indeed.
    They may be able to match power, but it's endurance racing...

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    Holy crap....

That sound is amazing.

Seriously. Just make it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    What a wicked looking machine, and yes, it couldn't be mistaken for anything else and definitely has a Japanese identity. I like the whole design!
    I think it is the best-looking Asian concept car ever built.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Official pictures and press release

2008 Mazda Furai Concept - Fast Cars, Cool Cars and Hot Cars at Fast-Autos.net!

Inside look by Marshall Pruett

But what Furai has shown the Mazda team is the real value of teamwork and key partners:

- Racing Beat worked tirelessly to develop the world’s only ethanol powered three-rotor rotary engine.

- Mother’s Waxes and Polishes supplies an extensive range of waxes, polishes, and cleaners to keep the car looking its best at all times.

- Together with Liferacing, AER developed a six-speed paddle-shift mechanism.

- Brembo worked with the Mazda team to ensure the brakes were as effective on Furai as they were in competition

- Sachs and Eibach worked together to bring an aggressive, but steetable, shock and spring package.

- Nippon Paint provided the amazing three-feet-deep paintwork.

- Castrol supplies all the high-performance lubricants.

- Mazda’s 2006 and 2007 ALMS tire development partner Kumho created the special tread patterns necessary for Furai’s tires.

- Wheels are from partner BBS, and are 14-spoke, centerlock aluminum.

- Seatbelts come from Sparco Motor Sports.

- Data acquisition and powertrain controllers are manufactured and tuned by MoTeC, one of the world’s leaders in racing electronics.

American Le Mans Series :: World Class

Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

I think that the intake for the airbox is just an amazing piece of carbon fibre art. It looks like a Cala lily. Pretty cool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

I thought that Mazda or a rotary team could run a 4L turbocharged rotary in LMP.....

.....Hell, Mazda could even opt to go for a 6L naturally aspirated engine with possibly even greater power.
    Is this factoring in Wouters previous comment?

To compare the displacement with a four stroke engine, a rotary's displacement is doubled. This has been the same since the first rotary engines hit the track.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information