Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake Bankers Draft Scam?

Fake Bankers Draft Scam?

I am currently selling my Alfa Spider and have advertised it on Autotrader.co.uk & Pistonheads.com. I have cut and pasted a e-mail conversation with a perspective buyer. Not sure what kind of mug she thinks i am but thought i would post it here to warn others.

To: [email protected]
    Subject: 2001 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER 2.0 TS 16V £5,800
    Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 03:46:03 +0000

Good Morning,
    I am really interested in your CAR listed for sale on auto trader.
    I will like to know if you still have it for sale.
    Are you the first owner?
    Did you have ALL THE PAPER work and the receipt of purchase for documentation?
    What is your LAST ASKING PRICE and the present condition?
    Is it an automatic drive or manual drive?
    The area for the pick up and lastly the reason for offering it for sale.
    Send more pics apart from those ones on the website if also available if NOT is okay.
    Thanks so much and i look forward to hear back from you today.
    I will wait to hear from you soonest.
    Cheers
    Miranda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: RE: 2001 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER 2.0 TS 16V £5,800
    Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:48:29 +0000

The car is still available at the moment. I hope you are still interested.

I have just put thye car through a MOT on Friday as it was due before the end of the month so there is a year to run on that and the Tax does not run out till Sept 2008.

The car has done 69,000 miles and is in excelent condition, the only mark on the body work is a bit of scuffing on the front bumper. There is also some stone chipping on the front of the car but nothing you would not expect in a car with this milage and age.

The car has all the original documentation with it and all the keys and loads of reciepts. It has only had three previous owners and has a full service history. The car has a Manual Gearbox

The cam belt has been replaced this year so will not need doing in its next service. The hood is electric and works every time and is totally water proof. I also put a new stainless steel exhaust on last year as the original one had gone, this was very expensive but should last as long as the car which i was hoping to keep longer but unfortunatly my work situation is changing and I have needed to take on a company car and can not afford a second car (i would love to be able to keep her). When i got the car i put in a high end Alpine Stereo with full iPod controls, this also takes CD's.

My last asking price is the one i have listed the car with, i believe i have priced the car extremly competitively. The car would need to be picked up from the Yarm area. I do not have any further photos at present but can send you any specific ones you require.

If you would like to know anything further or come to see the car please do not hesitate to contact me, either by e-mail or on my mobile (07810551260).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will offer you £6,100: 2001 ALFA ROMEO‏
    Sent: 11 February 2008 12:47:01
    To: tom hutton ([email protected])

Good Afternoon,
    Thanks for your quick response and am also excited to hear from you the car is still available for sale and thanks for the information you just gave about the car and am quite delighted to hear from you the car is still in great conditions .

I just want you to know that I'm buying the CAR on behalf of my husband as our family are expanding'cos we are expecting our triplet babies in few weeks time.because i'm a preganant woman.
    Really we owned only one CAR at present but the CAR would NOT contain us any more as you as soon as i deliver the triplet my husband will drive our first CAR while i cruise this one with the babies.
    Without taking much time i should be arranging for the payment and shipping process right away hopefully before this week runs down.

Please i want you to email me more pictures if is still available both the exterior and interior i would really appreciate that soo much.
    Really i would 've come for the viewing of the CAR due to my conditions now am heavily pregnant 'cos the doctor told me that i should not stress my self any more as a woman that is carrying a tripplet in her womb.in this case i would not be able to come for the viewing.But according to what you had already explain to me in your previous email i'm fully satisfied with all the conditions of the CAR.

I will offer you £6,100 inclusive the advert fees just because i know the worth of the car and more so what you' ve stated about the car details in the advert and in additional including the advert charges you've spent soo far .
    Presently we are in Guernsey in channel islands in United Kingdom.

My self and my husband will take care of the shippment we had already consult a private shipping company who's going to handle it professionally for us both the shipping cost and other necessary activities concerning the shipment of the CAR.
    Apart from the car being shipped at your location there is other consignments the shipping company needs to ship for me some state in uk but have made it clear to him your location will be his first arrival before moving to any other destination .

However,as for the payment am paying you a united kingdom bankers draft(GBP) issue by uk bank base that's the only option and safest way for me to transfer CASH ,Mind you i never requested for your bank details i would like to advice you that you should NEVER send your bank details to any body over the internet is too risky,i would only need you FULL NAME and your physical address, which am going to instruct my business associate to send you a bankers draft via royalmail.The bankers draft is going to clear in any bank in united kingdom my bank advised and it will take maximum of 3 to 4 working days to FULLY CLEARED INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, and once you've confirm the payment clearance and the money is finally available in your bank account the car should be hand over to the shippingagent and papers document as well once they arrive your location.

Thanks soo much and i really appreciate your efforts for taking your time to response to my enquiry.Hopefully to hear back from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible. I look forward to hear back from you today.
    Cheers
    Miranda

interesting story, and carrying triplets in an Alfa Spyder does not seem to be like a good idea to me...
    However, as you are on the receiving end, I would just sit it out and wait for the cheque to be delivered. Otherwise you can always use paypal...and in the meantime sell the car.....

I would remove at least your own e-mail address.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That has got to be a scam - don't give them anything. Don't even reply - in fact, I'd seriously consider reporting it to the Police.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Do you think it is worth reporting. I was thinking about it but reckon the police will just ignore it anyway.

Not to fussed about my e-mail address as it was on the advert so is already in the public domain (its not my normal e-mail address anyway).

I was tempted to try and get the cheque sent to my girlfriends work but don't fancy getting in any sh!t over this TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Q TOY View Post
    Do you think it is worth reporting. I was thinking about it but reckon the police will just ignore it anyway.

Not to fussed about my e-mail address as it was on the advert so is already in the public domain (its not my normal e-mail address anyway).

I was tempted to try and get the cheque sent to my girlfriends work but don't fancy getting in any sh!t over this TBH.
    to be honest I think as long as you have the car you are still in the driving seat. They may want to send cheques to any place, but as long as the money is not physically in your bank account, there is no need to hand over the car. I still would propose to use Paypal or Travelex for money transfer...

Google on scam 419 and find LOTS of interesting ways to get your own back on scammers
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I will have a look on there, not sure i want to take on some Nigerian Gangsters though. THey might get there local Shamen to Hex me :¬O

The way in which some words are delibrately CAPS LOCKED in such a way leads me to believe it's a "Fill in the blanks" form from some kind of automated system.

If they ask for your bank account refuse. Simple as that. Cash in hand or a Money Order, something that means you get upfront payment. none of this "i'll write you a cheque but don't cash it till X coz it won't work otherwise" crap.

EDIT: after a re-read they're obviously trying to ease your mind about scammers. I'd just stop dealing with them personally.

Money first. alwaysl
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

nah, tell them you will need £5 up front to pay for your bank to accept the bankers draft.
    Tell them you're really pissed off about increasing charges and this is just a new round and you have to ask them for the £5.
    So if they can send you £5 then you will be able to ensure the bankers draft is accepted on the day. Otherwise you have to wait 3 days and they will have to wait before picking up the car. The £5 is non-refundable and is to pay for the steps involved in working with the bank..... say that.

You coudl end up £5 up
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

BANKERS DRAFT SCAM. DO NOT ACCEPT. offering more money than advertised!

THIS IS A MEGA SCAM. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY BANKERS DRAFTS ETC AS THESE ARE FAKES THAT WILL CLEAR INTO YOUR ACOUNT INITIALLY BUT WILL THEN BE FLAGGED UP AS FAKES IN A MONTH OR SO AND THE MONEY WILL BE REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT REGARDLESS OF YOUR DISAPPROVAL (YOU WILL BE LIABLE FOR IT EVEN IF YOU HAVE SPENT IT), BY WHICH TIME YOUR CAR WILL BE HALF WAY ACROSS THE GLOBE NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!!!!

I HOPE NO ONE GETS RIPPED OFF BY THESE JERKS!

These scammers can be spotted by the poor english, a sop story about being pregnant and offering more than u advertised for.

The emails they send are from a template that may have been altered slightly to fit the situation and item for sale.

If you get emails like this sack them off immediatly you won't win.

++++ORIGINAL EMAIL REPLY TO MY AUTOTRADER ADVERT+++++++++

To: *********@hotmail.com
    Subject: 2006 VAUXHALL CORSA 1.2i 16V SXi 3dr £ 5,500
    Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:42:18 +0000

Good Morning,
    Are you the first owner?
    Send more pics apart from those ones on the website if also available if NOT is okay.
    Cheers
    Mr & Mrs Annabel Lawrence
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

++++++++MY RESPONSE TO INITIAL EMAIL++++++++

Subject: RE: 2006 VAUXHALL CORSA 1.2i 16V SXi 3dr £ 5,500
    Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:24:49 +0000

Hi there. Sorry for the delayed reply.
    I hope that you are still interested in the vehicle.
    I am the first owner with the registration document and full owner of the vehicle.
    The car is in excellent condition, one slight mark on one of the alloy wheels due to parking.
    I will accept offers around £5300, please feel free to negotiate?
    The car is a 5 speed manual drive.
    It can be viewed/collected in *********** or may be willing to meet within a short distance.
    Is there a specific picture you require as I believe most of them to be on the website advert?
    If you would like to speak to me regarding anything please feel free to phone me on ***********(wish i didn't put my mobile now!!)
    Thanks again for your interest,
    Regards Mr *********

+++++++++REPLY TO MY EMAIL++++++++

Good Evening,
    Thanks for your quick response and am also excited to hear from you the car is still available for sale and thanks for the information you just gave about the car and am quite delighted to hear from you the car is still in great conditions .

I just want you to know that I'm buying the CAR on behalf of my husband as our family are expanding because we are expecting our tripplet babies soon as our first children since we got married for the past 5 years because my pregnancy is due i could deliver the babies at ny time from now.
    I'm glad that i will soon become a mother.
    Really my self and my husband owed only one CAR at present now that we would be having our tripplet as our first children our only one CAR would Not contain us any more that was myself and my husband decided to get one additional CAR.
    Without taking much time i should be arranging for the payment and shipping process right away hopefully before this week runs down.

Please i want you to email me more pictures if is still available both the exterior and interior i would really appreciate that soo much.
    Really i would 've come for the viewing of the CAR due to my conditions now am heavily pregnant 'cos the doctor told me that i should not stress my self any more as a woman that is carrying a tripplet in her womb.in this case i would not be able to come for the viewing.
    You should understand my predicament,but according to what you had already explain to me in your previous email i'm fully satisfied with all the conditions of the CAR.

I will offer you £5,600 inclusive the advert fees just because i know the worth of the car and more so what you' ve stated about the car details in the advert and in additional including the advert charges you've spent soo far .

Mind you that i never requested for your bank details all i needed from you is the details below where by the payment would be send to you by post office.Never give out your bank details to anybody over the internet is too risky.
    All i needed from you is the FULL NAME that would be on the bankers draught, and your PHYSICAL ADDRESS that the payment would be send to by post office

My self and my husband will take care of the shippment we had already consult a private shipping company who's going to handle it professionally for us both the shipping cost and other necessary activities concerning the shipment of the CAR.
    Apart from the car being shipped at your location there is other consignments the shipping company needs to ship for me some state in uk but have made it clear to him your location will be his first arrival before moving to any other destination .

However,as for the payment am paying you a united kingdom bankers draught in (GBP) POUNDS that's the only option and safest way for me to transfer CASH ,which am going to instruct my business associate to send you a bankers draft via royal mail.

The bankers draft would CLEARED in any bank in united kingdom my bank advised and it will take maximum of 3 to 4 working days to FULLY CLEARED INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, and once you've confirm the payment clearance and the money is finally available in your bank account the car should be hand over to the shippingagent and papers document as well once they arrive your location.

Thanks soo much and i really appreciate your efforts for taking your time to response to my enquiry.Hopefully to hear back from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible. I look forward to hear back from you today.
    Cheers
    Mrs Annabel Lawrence

-----------

^^Seems to say it all really.

Rule #1 of internet trading (i found out the very hard and VERY expensive way)

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS! DONT GO ANY FURTHER WITH THIS!
    The Datto will rage again...

bank draft scam

hi, first time on here. recieved an email from a so called miranda lawrence aswell. Thought I'd google miranda lawrence guernsey just to be sure because it seemed to good to be true and thankfully found this forum. nasty bastards!!

Good Morning,

I just want you to know that I'm buying the CAR on behalf of my husband as our family are expanding because we are expecting our tripplet babies soon as our first children since we got married for the past 5 years because my pregnancy is due i could deliver the babies at any time from now.

Really my self and my husband owed only one CAR at present now that we would be having our tripplet as our first children our only one CAR would Not contain us any more that was myself and my husband decided to get one additional CAR.

Really i would 've come for the viewing of the CAR due to my conditions now am heavily pregnant 'cos the doctor told me that i should not stress my self any more as a woman that is carrying a tripplet in her womb.in this case i would not be able to come for the viewing.

You should understand my predicament,but according to what you had already explain to me in your previous email i'm fully satisfied with all the conditions of the CAR.

I will offer you £6,700 inclusive the advert fees just because i know the worth of the car and more so what you' ve stated about the car details in the advert and in additional including the advert charges you've spent soo far .

Mind you that i never requested for your bank details all i needed from you is the details below where by the payment would be send to you by post office.Never give out your bank details to anybody over the internet is too risky.
    All i needed from you is the FULL NAME that would be on the bankers draught, and your PHYSICAL ADDRESS that the payment would be send to by post office

However,as for the payment am paying you a united kingdom bankers draught in (GBP) POUNDS that's the only option and safest way for me to transfer CASH ,which am going to instruct my business associate to send you a bankers draft via royal mail.

The bankers draft would CLEARED in any bank in united kingdom my bank advised and it will take maximum of 3 to 4 working days to FULLY CLEARED INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, and once you've confirm the payment clearance and the money is finally available in your bank account the car should be hand over to the shippingagent and papers document as well once they arrive your location.

Thanks soo much and i really appreciate your efforts for taking your time to response to my inquiry.Hopefully to hear back from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible. I look forward to hear back from you today.
    Cheers
    Mrs Miranda Lawrence

Subject: Re: 2001 TOYOTA MR2 1.8 VVTi 2dr £6,500
    Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:22:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 10:42 AM
    Subject: 2001 TOYOTA MR2 1.8 VVTi 2dr £6,500

Good Morning,
    Are you the first owner?
    Cheers
    Mrs Miranda Lawrence

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now! =

Hi Miranda,
    Thanks for your email, the car is still for sale at £6500 ono. I have all paperwork from when the car was first purchased although i am not the first owner. The bodywork on the car is in excellent condition with no major dents or scratches, it is a manual drive gearbox and a pleasure to drive. Im selling the car because i need a car with more room and a little cheaper to run as i have since moved out from my parents house. I live in the collier row area near romford. I will send more photos to you as soon as the weather clears up and i can take some.
    Many thanks
    Neil Murphy

Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now! =

Lucky Neil ... btw you might want to edit out your e-mail addresses there

WELCOME

Bankers Draft Scam

I've had been targeted with the same scam!

All seemed too good to be true! More than the asking price + ad fees!

See below!

Good Morning,

I just want you to know that I'm buying the CAR on behalf of my husband as our family are expanding because we are expecting our tripplet babies soon as our first children since we got married for the past 5 years because my pregnancy is due i could deliver the babies at any time from now.

I will offer you £8,300 inclusive the advert fees just because i know the worth of the car and more so what you' ve stated about the car details in the advert and in additional including the advert charges you've spent soo far .

Thanks soo much and i really appreciate your efforts for taking your time to response to my inquiry.Hopefully to hear back from you today in order to proceed further with the payment and shipping arrangements as soon as possible. I look forward to hear back from you today.
    Cheers
    Mrs Miranda Lawrence

Subject: RE: 2004 MINI COOPER 1.6 3dr £7,995
    Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:30:13 +0000

Hi Miranda

Thanks for the enquiry! You'll be pleased to know that the car is still for sale!

Please see below for answers to your questions!

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kind regards!

Andy Dean

To: dea#####@hotmail.co.uk
    Subject: 2004 MINI COOPER 1.6 3dr £7,995
    Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 02:21:55 +0000

Good Morning,
    I will like to know if you still have it for sale?
    YES

Are you the first owner?
    2ND OWNER - PURCHASED THE CAR 1 YEAR AGO FROM BMW / MINI DEALERSHIP HALLIWELL JONES IN WARRINGTON CHESHIRE. PREVIOUS OWNER WAS A BUSINESS USER AND 54500 MILES ARE LARGELY MOTORWAY MILES.

I DID AND STILL DO HAVE ALL RELEVENT DOCUMENATION, CAR LOG BOOK, FULL SERVICE HISTORY, MOT CERTIFICATES & VECHICLE REGISTRATION DOCS.

THE CURRENT PRICE AS YOU WILL SEE IS VERY COMPETITIVE FOR A MINI OF THIS AGE AND SPEC. I HAVE SET THE PRICE VERY REASONABLY TO ENSURE A QUICK SALE. I BELIEVE THE VALUE OF THE CAR IS CLOSER TO £8500 SO I BELIEVE FURTHER REDUCTION UNNECCESARY! THE CAR IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND HAS BEEN WELL MAINTAINED! THERE IS A MINOR SCRATCH ON THE DRIVERS SIDE WHICH HAS BEEN TOUCHED UP BY A BODY SHOP ATTACHED TO OUR LOCAL MINI DEALERSHIP. (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)

MANUAL

The area for the pick up
    BOURNEMOUTH

and lastly the reason for offering it for sale.
    WE SIMPLY DON'T REQUIRE 2 CARS AS MY JOB HAS RECENTLY CHANGED AND NOW ALLOWS ME TO WORK FROM HOME! WE ALSO HAVE TWO CHILDREN AND IT MAKES MORE SENCE TO KEEP HOLD OF OUR LARGER CAR FOR REASONS OF PRACTICALLITY! ALSO THE MINI HAS HELD VALUE BETTER THAN OUR SECOND CAR WHICH MEANS IT WOULD BE MORE COSTLY TO SELL OUR OTHER CAR! THE MINI HAS BEEN FANTASTIC AND WE WILL BE SAD TO SEE IT GO!

NO MORE PICTURES AVAILABLE OTHER THAN THOSE MENTIONED ABOVE!

Cheers
    Mrs Miranda Lawrence

Thread Information