Thread: Problem with focus

Problem with focus

Hi all,

I made these shots yesterday with a 70-300mm with shutterspeeds around 1/100- 1-160. I had media accreditation so I was quite close to the track. The aperature was F11.

The problem with these shots is that only the nose of the car is focused while the rest is blurred. What should I do to solve this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

That's good stuff. Hardly a problem. If you want boring shots with everything in focus you should hike the shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/320.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thanks Wouter. I quite like the effect too, but was just wondering how to get the whole car sharp. So I can do it by shorten the shutterspeed or maybe make the distance between the subject bigger?
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Fumacher View Post
    Thanks Wouter. I quite like the effect too, but was just wondering how to get the whole car sharp. So I can do it by shorten the shutterspeed or maybe make the distance between the subject bigger?
    It's all in the shutterspeed. The effect does get bigger when you are closer to the car. Here is a 1/60 example of your 'problem'.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

At 1/60 the effect is indeed bigger. I really like that effect! Thanks for your explanation Wouter Really appreciate it.

Edit: just saw your entry in the photo comp. At what shutterspeed did you made that shot?
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

hmmmm .... the problem isn't REALLY in the shutter speed other than in the way the camera determines aperture and focus

Depth of field needs increased, so go manual and increase the f-stop.
    Does your camera have DoF preview ?
    If not, the math is here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field . Work out a table of values for your camera and keep it with you This - http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html - might already have your camera

WHat camera/lens do you have ? As you may find it limits what ranges you can have and you'll end up with a wrong shutter speed for action
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-09-2007 at 02:10 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hmmmm .... the problem isn't REALLY in the shutter speed other than in the way the camera determines aperture and focus

Depth of field needs increased, so go manual and increase the f-stop.
    Does your camera have DoF preview ?
    If not, the math is here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field . Work out a table of values for your camera and keep it with you

WHat camera/lens do you have ? As you may find it limits what ranges you can have and you'll end up with a wrong shutter speed for action
    No the problem is not the fact that the rear of the car is out of focus, but rather it suffers from motion blur. The nose is track by the camera's focus points and the rear moves through the field of view at a different angle, so if the nose is followed, the rear is missed and out of focus.

(Ted Joans)

At 1/60 the effect is indeed bigger. I really like that effect! Thanks for your explanation Wouter Really appreciate it.

Edit: just saw your entry in the photo comp. At what shutterspeed did you made that shot?
    That is 1/60 as well, but with a wide angle, so the distortion is bigger still. The Corvette is close to 200 mm I believe, whereas the other was at 29 mm.

(Ted Joans)

Matra: I have a Nikon D70S with a 70-300mm VR F4.5-5.6
    I will have to look up/read what DoF exactly is before I can answer your question

Here is a shot which I have made at 1/250. The "effect" is much less than at 1/100
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

Matra: I have a Nikon D70S with a 70-300mm VR F4.5-5.6
    I will have to look up/read what DoF exactly is before I can answer your question

Here is a shot which I have made at 1/250. The "effect" is much less than at 1/100
    The effect would not be very apparent either seeing as the movement is pretty linear there, unlike the shots in corners.

(Ted Joans)

DoF = depth of field = scherptediepte as you might know it better

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    DoF = depth of field = scherptediepte as you might know it better
    or in other words, the range at which a picture is sharp. The lower the focus value, the shorter the depth of field....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

which has nothing to do with that photo. as wouter said it is because the back is moving at a different angle through the frame than the front, and most people tend to look at the front of the car and follow that with their lens. the only way to address that is with a higher shutter speed to lessen the amount of blur picked up. other than shooting a car directly from the side theres no way to total avoid that effect, only lessen its appearance.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Thread Information