Thread: Peugeot will return to Pikes Peak with Loeb and 208 T16

Peugeot will return to Pikes Peak with Loeb and 208 T16

Sebastien Loeb to follow in the footsteps of Ari Vatanen who dominated with this Peugeot 405: 1988 Peugeot 405 T16 Pikes Peak - Images, Specifications and Information

208 T16 Pikes Peak with Sébastien Loeb, Total, Red Bull and Michelin
    In keeping with its combative nature, Peugeot has decided to contest the 2013 Pikes Peak Hill Climb (Colorado, USA, June 30) which continues to stand out as one of motorsport’s most exacting, internationally-reputed competitions. Peugeot’s bid to win the unique, Colorado Springs-based event with the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak has led to it joining forces with such key partners as Total, Red Bull, Michelin and Sébastien Loeb. Peugeot’s participation in this epic race, which has previously seen the Brand triumph with the legendary 205 T16 and 405 T16 Pikes Peak, is a natural extension of its international offensive which is itself illustrated by the globalisation of its sales and the success enjoyed by the new 208.
    Pikes Peak: a ‘Race to the Clouds’ indelibly anchored in Peugeot’s DNA

It was exactly 100 years ago that Peugeot notched up its first racing victory, at Indianapolis, the first of a very long list of successes in some of motorsport’s most mythical events. Its previous Pikes Peak Hill Climb triumphs not only marked the world of international motorsport but have become an integral part of Peugeot’s DNA. Ari Vatanen’s unforgettable record-breaking victory on the 1988 event in the 405 T16 is documented by the celebrated film, ‘Climb Dance’. Peugeot won the famous hill climb a second time in 1989, this time with the USA’s Robby Unser behind the wheel.

The Pikes Peak Hill Climb’s unique course was finally entirely asphalted last year and comprises 156 turns over a distance of 20 kilometres that take competitors from an altitude of 2, 800 metres to 4, 300 metres at its highest point. The event is famous, too, as the USA’s second-oldest motorsport competition after Indianapolis and, over the decades, it has earned a reputation as a notoriously difficult and complex challenge!

The Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak has been entered in the premier ‘Unlimited’ class and has been given the start number ‘208’. Its sole objective is victory!

World class partners

To maximise its chances of winning the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with the 208 T16 Pikes Peak, Peugeot has enlisted the support of the very best partners for this exceptional project, namely Total, Red Bull, Michelin and Sébastien Loeb. The nine-time world rally champion was able to accept Peugeot’s proposal thanks to Citroën which has authorised its star driver to contest the American event for the first time in his career.

As all the different players prepare for the challenge, all that remains is for the car that will be used for the ascension – the 208 T16 Pikes Peak – to be unveiled, and its strengths and secrets are scheduled to be revealed in the middle of April.

Peugeot, a Brand on the offensive

The strong sales enjoyed by the new 208 (300, 000 units manufactured up to end-February 2013) and the presentation to the media of the 208 GTI version at this very moment are eloquent signs of Peugeot’s dynamism. But Peugeot’s commercial successes have traditionally been accompanied by success in motorsport, so the decision to take on the challenge of this extraordinary, mythical, exacting competition – which also helped to forge the Brand’s reputation in the late 1980s – was a perfectly natural one.

3 questions to Maxime Picat (Peugeot Brand CEO)

1/ Does this event mark Peugeot’s return to motorsport?

M.P.: Peugeot has never abandoned motorsport. To realise that, one only needs to look at the busy activity of our customer competition department and all the different competition versions of the 208 it has developed, namely the 208 T16, the 208 R2, the 208 Racing Cup and the 208 GTi Peugeot Sport. The latter will even take part in the Nürburgring 24 Hours as part of the 208 GTi Racing Experience operation which was run in parallel to the 208 GTi’s launch. Last year, when we announced the end of our endurance racing programme, we stated that Peugeot wasn’t closing the door to a future factory programme. Peugeot Sport consequently drew up a list of potential projects, and that list included Pikes Peak. This exceptional event fits perfectly with the Brand’s international growth drive and appeared to us to be an exciting and stimulating challenge.

2/ Why choose the Pikes Peak Hill Climb?

M.P.: Pikes Peak is a one-off outing which has the potential to generate extensive media coverage and which meets the constraints of the current context. It is a legendary race that has inspired all the Brand’s teams who have mobilised behind the project which targets outright victory. It is also a tough, exceptional challenge which leaves no room for error. In other words, it’s exactly the sort of challenge that Peugeot adores.

3/ Why have the involvements of Red Bull and Sébastien Loeb been enlisted for this event?

M.P.: Our objective is to win, so we needed to stack up as many cards as possible in our favour by joining forces with the very best partners for this unique project, namely Total, Red Bull, Michelin and Sébastien Loeb. Indeed, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Citroën for this one-off ‘loan’ of its exceptional champion. Citroën’s support is emblematic of the cohesion that reigns within the PSA Peugeot Citroën group.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Sounds like Renault have already lost to PSA with Dayraut's Duster actually.

University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    600bhp from a 1,6 turbo, is madness. Madness like when they did it with the 1.9/2.0L T16 engine back in the day!

Remember Torque is often more important than Bhp
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

With modern multi-clutch computer controlled racing gearboxes with dual gear sets and rev matching shift computers then torque becomes less important than it once was. The gearbox can now truly make up for it with more gears and no real loss during shifts.
    The rules have changed.

Besides 600hp from 1.6 is NOTHING.
    Remember the BMW 1.5 F1 turbo engine was reportedly capable of 1500hp in qualifying !!
    1200hp for races
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Besides 600hp from 1.6 is NOTHING.
    Remember the BMW 1.5 F1 turbo engine was reportedly capable of 1500hp in qualifying !!
    1200hp for races
    It's funny to think that these days they make a bike with a larger displacement than a 1,500 hp car they previously made.

As I think I've said before, I prefer turbocharged engines when they are turboed to the nth degree; I don't like the idea of an engine with a turbo added as an afterthought. It should be boosted to within an inch of its life.
    Because of this, I'm not too hot on the 2014 F1 engines which are 1.6s that only make 700 (?) hp. If they were getting 750hp/l in the '80s, they should be getting at least 1,000 these days.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Meh, 1500 bhp with 2 sec lag is not that useful....the engine they will have in F1 next year would be something pretty remarkable....with 2 level of energy recovery and running on a limited fuel formula....

Pike's Peak car with 600 bhp at sea level would be pretty lucky to make 450 by the time they hit some altitude....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Remember tho RM, that back then turbo tech was in it's infancy. With dual setups and variable vane tech and better control systems I would think the lag would be much MUCH less.

Besides driving a fast car with old-skool turbo setups is more challenging and fun. The Alpine you have to constantly have in mind revs and throttle position mid corner and be planning ahead not to let it spool down. The modern ant-lag systems take away all the challenge
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    600bhp from a 1,6 turbo, is madness. Madness like when they did it with the 1.9/2.0L T16 engine back in the day!

Remember Torque is often more important than Bhp
    Another thing that no one has mentioned yet is that this is Pikes Peak. The start line is over 9000 ft above sea level (2800m) and the finish line is over 14,000 ft (4300m). At that altitude, a car is making substantially less horsepower than at sea level. You need to have a stupid-big turbocharger to compress the air when it's that thin and keep pushing the power as the air gets even thinner.

The Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak, which won the unlimited class in 1996, was pushing 980 bhp from a twin-turbocharged 2 liter V6. That's pretty standard for the unlimited class.

Does anyone know the class in which Loeb will be racing? He doesn't appear to be on the official competitors list yet:

As a side note: I've been living in Denver for over a year now, missed last year's race, I can't wait to go this year! I'll try to take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    Another thing that no one has mentioned yet is that this is Pikes Peak. The start line is over 9000 ft above sea level (2800m) and the finish line is over 14,000 ft (4300m). At that altitude, a car is making substantially less horsepower than at sea level. You need to have a stupid-big turbocharger to compress the air when it's that thin and keep pushing the power as the air gets even thinner.

The Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak, which won the unlimited class in 1996, was pushing 980 bhp from a twin-turbocharged 2 liter V6. That's pretty standard for the unlimited class.

Does anyone know the class in which Loeb will be racing? He doesn't appear to be on the official competitors list yet:

As a side note: I've been living in Denver for over a year now, missed last year's race, I can't wait to go this year! I'll try to take pictures!
    The unlimited class .

Perhaps the Turbo used is the VTG Turbo?
    It would have it's benefits in the altitude change as it can change its geometry.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post

They must have updated it bc he is on it in the unlimited class. I looked up those RS200s and they look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Remember tho RM, that back then turbo tech was in it's infancy. With dual setups and variable vane tech and better control systems I would think the lag would be much MUCH less.

Besides driving a fast car with old-skool turbo setups is more challenging and fun. The Alpine you have to constantly have in mind revs and throttle position mid corner and be planning ahead not to let it spool down. The modern ant-lag systems take away all the challenge
    Hence you should look up next year's F1 engine.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Peugeot reveals full spec of Loeb's 875bhp, 875kg Pikes Peak T16 - Other news - AUTOSPORT.com

875bhp at 875kg...A bunch of legacy parts from the 908. I wonder if the 3.2 V6 was the Sedomo unit from the older LMP cars? I think its kinda silly to use 908's wing though...LMP wing size are so restricted in chord length and width that it's gotta be a hinderance in the essentially unlimited formula of Pike's Peak.....and considering the kind of aero other cars run...Also it did not mention this, but I am assuming this is AWD...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Peugeot reveals full spec of Loeb's 875bhp, 875kg Pikes Peak T16 - Other news - AUTOSPORT.com

875bhp at 875kg...A bunch of legacy parts from the 908. I wonder if the 3.2 V6 was the Sedomo unit from the older LMP cars? I think its kinda silly to use 908's wing though...LMP wing size are so restricted in chord length and width that it's gotta be a hinderance in the essentially unlimited formula of Pike's Peak.....and considering the kind of aero other cars run...Also it did not mention this, but I am assuming this is AWD...
    It is the Sedomo V6 that Pescarolo used.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Dv3lqxH6I"]Test 208 T16 Pikes Peak - Sébastien Loeb - Mont Ventoux [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information