Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 Driver Kubica injured in rally crash

F1 Driver Kubica injured in rally crash

"His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening, but following surgery in 2003 after a serious road accident as a passenger that left him with titanium bolts in his arm, there will be doubts about his ability to continue in the sport."

via BBC

I read about this as well. Very sad to see him get injured again. I hope he will recover nicely and be able to continue racing as soon as possible because I quite like him as a racer.

I really hope that he will be able to race again, because he really hasn't had a car underneath him to match his level of talent. He has been the perpetual underdog/dark horse and it'd be nice to see him be a title contender.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

thats terrible news. he is one of my favorite drivers, so i hope he can make it back.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I am reading that they are trying to save his hand, which was already damaged because of an earlier road accident in 2003.
    Interesting to see though that apparently some F1 drivers are allowed to engage in other motorsport. While this was commonplace in the sixties the current breed of F1 drivers only seems to be contractually allowed to do F1 and nothing else.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Manager: Kubica is very strong | Planet F1 | Formula One News

according to his manager/Renault he isn't in danger to lose his hand, but it will be a challenge to maintain full functionality.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

F1 Driver Kubica injured in rally crash

Sucks... Kubica is a favorite of mine. Seems like a good guy too, good change of pace from some of the prima donnas in F1 these days.

Hopefully he can make a recovery and take back to the wheel
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I also hope he will be OK and get back to the sport - was nearly sure he could have become one of the title contenders this year. The very first news were frightening with all that speculation around amputation and so on... Just wish him more luck: think of it - serious accidents in 2003, 2008, 2011... He's a strong guy, he'll get back to saddle again.

He seems indeed a very nice chap and an excellent driver. Hope he can maintain full functionality of his arm and come back to race this season.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Almost reminds me of Webber's broken leg a couple years ago. Hopefully Kubica will be back in time for the start of the season.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

He's in having surgery at the moment, apparently there was talk of amputation.. that's not happening, but I believe there's as yet no word on what functionality he'll have in it.

It's a damn shame, as many have stated he's a great driver and seems a nice guy to boot. Apparently he's always done some racing outside of F1, his management have always maintained that option in his contracts. I think it's probably a good thing in general, but as has been made clear - there's always risks.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I am reading that they are trying to save his hand, which was already damaged because of an earlier road accident in 2003.
    Interesting to see though that apparently some F1 drivers are allowed to engage in other motorsport. While this was commonplace in the sixties the current breed of F1 drivers only seems to be contractually allowed to do F1 and nothing else.
    While its not uncommon in the past, I think for modern motorsport their contractual obligation is a lot more involving I think than yesteryear....

Its kinda risky though at their level to be that involved, that closely to the beginning of the season of your "day job"...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Very upsetting. It is bad when anyone is injured and their livelihood put at risk, but here is a man that I think could be a title contender in the right car. It was a shame to see him largely pushed to the sidelines in slow cars recently.

I hope he gets well soon. Though I don't really follow F1 recently it is pretty shocking to read that such a talented person is injured. I hope he is able to recover and drive again.

A video of the crash aftermath:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78smQo6ZRk8&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78smQo6ZRk8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Kubica is one of my favorites and I am very sad to have learned of this only today because I was out of town. Very sad indeed. I wish him a speedy recovery. He's a tough bastard, coming back from some serious accidents all ready over the years.

Thread Information