Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F1 to get low-profile rubber?

I think I already presented by hypothesis that there just isn't the money for the likes of the McLaren type behemoths. Look at WIlliams But yes a cap is a necessity.
    Not "impossible" to monitor ... impossible to control to the $1 for sure, but keeping them within a million of a target will be relatively easy with some simple guidelines to use.

AND they did not have "tiny" budgest back then. SOME did. Some didn't But back then because innovation happened on so many levels with less regulations to restrict them then it wans't about HOW MUCH you spent, but which ideas you developed.

A really good read THE 70s: TIME TO BREAK RECORDS! EMERSON FITTIPALDI: The younge
    I like the way that guys site is giving insight into the championships rather than jsut the figures.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm one of the rare few who actually like manufacturers in F1. Keeps the competition and technology high and manufacturers usually have racing pedigree - though costs rocket. Plus, we never get any REAL pedigree independants now apart from Williams and McLaren.

The days of building an F1 car in your garage are magic, but dead.
    "This car is about as refined as a Glaswegian dock worker after 10 cans of special brew"

I hope they do go to the low-profile tire.

The "F1 built in a garage" was always a myth anyway
    There were always backroom deals for tech going on.
    eg Tyrrel was backed by the Matra tech until he was winning and had built a design team and had innovation to stand on his own feet.
    Modern aero testing though is prohibitvely expensive UNLESS they cap time/cost in tunnels .... or somene proves they can get to 99.9% with computer modelling
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I am hoping for a change to, wish they at least move a couple of inches, just to try and change something in F1, it's 2010 shouldn't car design have evolved out of the 1990s?
    There isnt really the option to bring in another size, for example 15 inch wheels. Bridgestone couldve done something different if they stayed by running their ChampCar/IndyCar constructions but that wouldve still been a pretty big jump that the teams baulked at equally as much as the proposed 18 inch move by Michelin and Pirelli.

I'm not sure where Pirelli would get the tech and machinery to produce 13 inch tyres for the next year or two but theres been the suggestion they'll pick up where they left in 91 or whenever it was when they last competed.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The "F1 built in a garage" was always a myth anyway
    There were always backroom deals for tech going on.
    eg Tyrrel was backed by the Matra tech until he was winning and had built a design team and had innovation to stand on his own feet.
    Modern aero testing though is prohibitvely expensive UNLESS they cap time/cost in tunnels .... or somene proves they can get to 99.9% with computer modelling
    Even if they had tech backing, the fact they were put together in a wood shed rather than some multi-million pound construction facility still amazes.
    "This car is about as refined as a Glaswegian dock worker after 10 cans of special brew"

aha, again the myth of the Tyrrel "shed".... yes it was wooden - he was a wood supplier after all and so was the cheapest material and easy for him to expand/fix.
    The main thing I think is engines came ready built by Cosworth and the materials for suspension and chassis weren't esoteric.
    MUCH simpler too back then and no electronic sensors needin molly-coddled.
    Of course, MOST of the new factories are all about EGO rather than need

THough to be fair we are looking at modern F1 squeezing MUCH more from the same package and so cleanliness becomes important.

Thread Information