Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen XL1 2013

Volkswagen XL1 2013

VOLKSWAGEN ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF XL1, THE WORLD’S MOST EFFICIENT PRODUCTION CAR

•Volkswagen to produce XL1 at its Osnabrück plant in Germany, using carbonfiber technology
    •The XL1 is the most aerodynamic production car ever, with a Cd of 0.19
    •261 mpg combined fuel consumption was a vision—now it’s a reality

Wolfsburg, Germany - The XL1 from Volkswagen is the most fuel-efficient production car in the world, with a European combined fuel consumption rating of 261 mpg. Thanks to its plug-in hybrid system, this two-seat vehicle can also cover up to 32 miles as a zero-emissions vehicle in all-electric mode.

The XL1 is an automotive standout that follows pure sports-car design principles: light weight (1753 pounds), exceptional aerodynamics (Cd 0.19), and a low center of gravity. This super-efficient Volkswagen thus has the ability to cruise down the road at a constant 62 mph while using just 8.3 horsepower. In all-electric mode, the XL1 requires less than 0.1 kWh to cover more than a kilometer.

The XL1 emits just 21 g/km of CO2, thanks to its high-tech lightweight design, aerodynamic efficiency, and a plug-in hybrid system consisting of a 47-hp two-cylinder TDI® engine, a 27-hp electric motor, a seven-speed DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission, and a lithium-ion battery. The 261 mpg fuel consumption figure is a record that has not been achieved by any other vehicle to date, showing that Volkswagen is redefining what is technically feasible in the automotive industry. The XL1 also has a top speed of 99 mph and can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph in 12.7 seconds.

Conceptually, the XL1 represents the third evolutionary stage of Volkswagen’s 1-liter car strategy. When the new millennium was ushered in, Prof. Dr. Ferdinand Piëch, currently Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen AG, formulated the visionary goal of putting into production a practical car that had combined fuel consumption of one liter per 100 km (235 mpg). In the two-seat XL1, this vision has become reality.

Despite the tremendous efficiency of the XL1, the engineers and designers successfully came up with a body design which delivers more everyday utility than the two previous prototypes. In the L1, the 1-liter car that was shown in 2002 and 2009, the driver and passenger sat in a tandem arrangement for optimal aerodynamics; in the XL1, the two occupants sit slightly offset, side by side, almost like a conventional vehicle.

The XL1 is 153.1 inches long, 65.6 in wide, and just 45.4 in tall. By comparison, a Volkswagen Polo is slightly longer (156.3 in) and wider (66.2 in), but is significantly taller (57.6 in). Even a purebred sports car like today’s Porsche Boxster is 5.1 inches taller. The XL1 will look spectacular going down the highway—a car of the future, built for today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 03-10-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Interesting #2
    Visca Catalunya!

Interesting #3
    Visca Catalunya!

Interesting #4
    Visca Catalunya!

Interesting #5
    Visca Catalunya!

Why is there no rear window? It kinda looks like a retro-futurist Tatra.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

It reminds me mostly of the Mk.1 Honda Insight, with it's Kamm tail and all.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Digital camera I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Digital camera I guess.
    The rear-view functions are made by two small cameras in the doors. There are no mirrors at all in this car. When you drive forwards the make the function of normal door rear-view mirrors and when you engage reverse they make the function of the inside rear view mirror.

AFAIK a feature like this is legat for road cars in Germany and Austria, but not anywhere else in Europe. I guess that a corporation the size of Volkswagen will get this changed easily.

The only problem I can see with this car is price. The trick drivetrain and carbonfibre construction don't come cheap...
    Visca Catalunya!

Wouldn't they have saved a couple hundred pounds by removing the electric motor and batteries? That would have also allowed them to have a lower profile nose, or more trunk space at the least. If I got my hands on that little two cylinder, I'd swap it into a caterham and use the difference to make a new body for it.

ferrer, Alfa is hoping to sell the 4C cheap, and that has a carbon monocoque as well, so the price remains to be seen. It could be at a decent price.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    No. That is all.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Wouldn't they have saved a couple hundred pounds by removing the electric motor and batteries? That would have also allowed them to have a lower profile nose, or more trunk space at the least. If I got my hands on that little two cylinder, I'd swap it into a caterham and use the difference to make a new body for it.
    The thing is though, because it's a plug-in hybrid fuel economy in the NEDC is measured differently from conventional fuel-only powered car or traditionals hybirds and that helps it achieve its exceptional figures. For instance the test is started with the battery fully chagred.

However, apparently it can do 450km on the 10 litre tank, so that still works out at 2,2l/100km (107mpg US / 128mpg UK) which is still impressive. I'd prefer the fuel tank to be a little big bigger and for me the plug-in malarkey is a bit of useless nonsense, for now at least. But still, definitely interested.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I recommend that all hybrids be plug-ins. It makes sense, not sure why they haven't always been plug-ins. Driven right, a PHEV can make phenomenal gains versus non-plug-ins. But this one is reaching. Like the original Honda Insight, this would really only appeal to a small, dedicated segment of folks who crave fuel economy and don't have to have more than 2 seats.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I recommend that all hybrids be plug-ins. It makes sense, not sure why they haven't always been plug-ins. Driven right, a PHEV can make phenomenal gains versus non-plug-ins. But this one is reaching. Like the original Honda Insight, this would really only appeal to a small, dedicated segment of folks who crave fuel economy and don't have to have more than 2 seats.
    I see the theory and I (mostly) agree with it.

The problem I have is, where the hell am I going to plug it?

Also, if I found the place (mainly Girona where we have have a house in the suburbs, not in Barcelona where we live in a flat with a shared underground car park) what if I left it charging more than it should, will doing that consistently destroy the batteries or the car disconnects itself once it is fully charged?
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Also, if I found the place (mainly Girona where we have have a house in the suburbs, not in Barcelona where we live in a flat with a shared underground car park) what if I left it charging more than it should, will doing that consistently destroy the batteries or the car disconnects itself once it is fully charged?
    They probably thought of that.

Also the drivetrain is going to find its way into the Up?!?! for those who want more seats and some mirrors.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information