Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 508 2010-2018

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I would rather have slightly-raised wagons clogging up the roadways than SUVs and crossovers (though I guess this is sort-of a reverse crossover). Not only does this leave more gas, or diesel as the case may be, for the rest of us, I can probably see around it which is one of my biggest gripes about sharing the road with SUVs.
    Also depending on who designed what and how well, these wagons aren't bad at mild offroading, not that any of their owners would take them to Offroad, wherever that is.
    Nope, they are still pretty much as bad as SUVs. If anything they are even more silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Again.
    The 508 will be a lot cheaper than any of its competitors (maybe except the Skoda and Seat), so therefor it will appeal to a kinda different market.
    It's not an Audi, so it won't sell at all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    It's a traditional off roader design piece to use matt black wheel arches.

Not to bash you.
    But your comment show that you don't know anything of that type of cars.
    Yeah you're right. I know they mostly use the matte black but beyond that, the headlights and taillights, to me, look like a mix of Audi (at the front) and Subaru (back) but that's not to say it was intentional, most of that segment kind of looks similar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Yeah you're right. I know they mostly use the matte black but beyond that, the headlights and taillights, to me, look like a mix of Audi (at the front) and Subaru (back) but that's not to say it was intentional, most of that segment kind of looks similar to me.
    Well, 10 or so years ago it was decided that Audi estate cars were cool and therefore successful.

So what everyone has done in the last ten years is make their estate cars look like Audi copies. Even if that meant throwing the practicality in the bin.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Nope, they are still pretty much as bad as SUVs. If anything they are even more silly.
    Actually, for some people they're perfect. My Dad wants an XC70, as he lives in up in the bush outside of a city. He busted the sump on his 850 driving up a friend's driveway, but if he had more ground clearance he'd've been fine. Also a wagon would be useful for them as they run a little general store and need to shop for most of their stock. With all that though, a full on SUV would be larger/more expensive than necessary so this sort of thing is right in the sweet spot.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Less pointless than an SUV, moar useful than an estate.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

And easier to deal with being near on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Actually, for some people they're perfect. My Dad wants an XC70, as he lives in up in the bush outside of a city. He busted the sump on his 850 driving up a friend's driveway, but if he had more ground clearance he'd've been fine. Also a wagon would be useful for them as they run a little general store and need to shop for most of their stock. With all that though, a full on SUV would be larger/more expensive than necessary so this sort of thing is right in the sweet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Less pointless than an SUV, moar useful than an estate.
    And easier to deal with being near on the road.
    I would argue that they are not as good as an SUV off road yet not as good as a normal estate on the road.

So they do nothing right.

If I had to go in the woods I'd choose a smaller SUV/off roader rather than this sort of cars, if cost and/or size were constraints.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would argue that they are not as good as an SUV off road yet not as good as a normal estate on the road.

So they do nothing right.

If I had to go in the woods I'd choose a smaller SUV/off roader rather than this sort of cars, if cost and/or size were constraints.
    Yes, but the only off-roading really required is some rough dirt roads and dodgy driveways, so the off-roading ability is more than adequate. They're not bought it to cross the rubicon. As for size, they need the load carrying space afforded by the wagon body for their large dogs and large amounts of shopping.

Context is everything. Otherwise, marketing segments wouldn't exist.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

In the last ten years or so, what was it that made automakers decide it was economically viable to develop vehicles to fill every niche in the market, including creating new and seemingly superfluous ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    In the last ten years or so, what was it that made automakers decide it was economically viable to develop vehicles to fill every niche in the market, including creating new and seemingly superfluous ones?
    Focus groups, market demand and continuing success.

This is off topic, but it reminds me of Bob Lutz's new book.

Maybe it is worth a read.

Yes, but the only off-roading really required is some rough dirt roads and dodgy driveways, so the off-roading ability is more than adequate. They're not bought it to cross the rubicon. As for size, they need the load carrying space afforded by the wagon body for their large dogs and large amounts of shopping.
    I must be stupid because I still fail to see the point.

Tell your dad to buy a Citroën with a suspension that moves about.
    Visca Catalunya!

I must be stupid because I still fail to see the point.

Tell your dad to buy a Citroën with a suspension that moves about.
    I don't think the repair bills fall within his budget range...

Yes, but the only off-roading really required is some rough dirt roads and dodgy driveways, so the off-roading ability is more than adequate. They're not bought it to cross the rubicon.
    I agree. People who buy cars like this are not going to do serious off-roading. In the UK people buy car like the XC70 and this 508 to help them cope with the winter ice and snow and dangerous conditions because the Uk are useless, when we get a bit of snow and ice the whole country goes into a stand still. People are not going to need them for serious off-roading. In other partes of the world i don't know how well this car will do.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information