Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Car comparison


View Poll Results: BMW or Benz?
BMW M5 20 52.63%
Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG 14 36.84%
Teh Cadillac STS-V kicks their euro assez, American muscle FTW! 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Prius's Avatar
Prius Prius is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,176
Location: Detroit
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs. BMW M5

Ok, here is a comparo, the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG vs the BMW M5.

Mercedes-Benz

MSRP * $84,600 - $85,400
Invoice * $78,678 - $79,422
Engine 6.2L V-8 507 HP
Transmission 7-spd SPEEDSHIFT w/OD
Fuel Economy City 14.0 mpg
Fuel Economy Highway 20.0 mpg

BMW M5

5.0-liter V-10 engine producing 500hp, 383 lb-ft. torque (previous M5: 4.9-liter V-8, 394 hp, 368 lb-ft.)

7-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG)

6-speed manual transmission (no-cost option)

Handling, ride & braking

M Variable Differential Lock

Specially modified and calibrated front and rear suspension

Electronic Damping Control, BMW's system of electronically controlled suspension in a new and special BMW M version with three modes

Special steering system, 'quicker' than that of the 5 Series and offering two levels of speed-sensitive power assist

Compound, cross-ventilated disc brakes, BMW's largest-dimensional and most powerful ever

19-inch alloy wheels with Z-rated performance tires in differentiated front/rear sizes

BMW M-calibrated Dynamic Stability Control with selectable M Dynamic Mode

MDrive, a submenu in the iDrive system that allows the driver to 'set up' his or her own preferred performance and handling settings for instant recall

Me Personally, I perfer the E63. Now don't just say that because "Oh he's a Mercedes fanboy, of course he wants the Benz!", I have a good reason.

When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance. I like the Benz better because it doesn't seem to scream "peformance sedan" as much as the BMW. It still has the classic Benz style and luxury. So you can lay rubber on the track, then look right at home on a night on the town. It lives a dumbe life pretty much. It is a beast when you want it, and a confort cruiser when you just want to cruise. Another thing is the BMW's electronics. There is so much fiddly tec stuff, that it can make you scream. You need to go through three sub menus just to change the station! Whatever happened to presets and a seek button?!? And there is too much fiddly tech stuff that you dont' know what to turn on or off, or anything. The Benz is much more user friendly. And just with design too. The BMW is a beast through and through. It screams "bruiser" from a mile away, while as I said above, the Benz can be tame when you want, and a beast when you need it to. And that is why I perfer the Benz.
__________________
I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:22 PM
IWantAnAudiRS6's Avatar
IWantAnAudiRS6 IWantAnAudiRS6 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,072
Oh he's a Mercedes fanboy, of course he wants the Benz!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius View Post
When I took both for power laps in GT4 (I am broke and license-less, so bear with me on this one)The BMW was the fastest, and the more pleasent to drive. I loved driving the BMW. I loved it so much that I went into sim mode immediately afterwards and bought one and removed the limiter, and it flew! It is just like Jeremy Clarkson put it, it is a wonderful car to drive. The Benz was clumsier in the turns and trailed the Bimmer's lap time by a second or two. But, what makes the Benz triumph over the Bimmer is not peformance. I like the Benz better because it doesn't seem to scream "peformance sedan" as much as the BMW. It still has the classic Benz style and luxury. So you can lay rubber on the track, then look right at home on a night on the town. It lives a dumbe life pretty much. It is a beast when you want it, and a confort cruiser when you just want to cruise. Another thing is the BMW's electronics. There is so much fiddly tec stuff, that it can make you scream. You need to go through three sub menus just to change the station! Whatever happened to presets and a seek button?!? And there is too much fiddly tech stuff that you dont' know what to turn on or off, or anything. The Benz is much more user friendly. And just with design too. The BMW is a beast through and through. It screams "bruiser" from a mile away, while as I said above, the Benz can be tame when you want, and a beast when you need it to. And that is why I perfer the Benz.
I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.

But even if it was what does really kill you argument is the fact that the Merc in GT4 is the E55 not the E63...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
IWantAnAudiRS6's Avatar
IWantAnAudiRS6 IWantAnAudiRS6 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,072
I was thinking just the same thing, before I posted my glib reply. Prius, get a license and try out both the cars, then try that argument.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
By the way I'll have a CLS63 AMG, thank you.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Equinox's Avatar
Equinox Equinox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 705
Look at the flag!
Well just to go back on topic here for a quick sec... I like both, but on other threads on this site, some people say BMW's dont have good style. Well that BMW M5 looks pretty damn nice to me. But my standards are also low.

But I would have to go with the Mercedes, It is a nice car.

Well back to thrashing!
__________________
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
-Rita Mae Brown-
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Prius's Avatar
Prius Prius is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,176
Location: Detroit
That is easier said than done.

But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.
__________________
I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Prius's Avatar
Prius Prius is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,176
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.

But even if it was what does really kill you argument is the fact that the Merc in GT4 is the E55 not the E63...
I thought it was the E63. My mistake. Purely a mistake.
__________________
I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Rockefella's Avatar
Rockefella Rockefella is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 16,605
Northern New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Rockefella Send a message via MSN to Rockefella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius View Post
That is easier said than done.

But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.
Erm, no.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius View Post
That is easier said than done.

But I still think that my style argument still stands. The Benz looks good on the track and a night on the town. The M5 is purely a track car. Plus, of course, the BMW is too technical. When I get into a car, I want to turn the key and go, not spend thirty minutes getting all the minute techincal bits just right. That novelty will wear off after the first week.
When EVO tested the Maserati Quattroporte it beat the BMW M5 at the Bedford Autdrome. By that logic if you want a track car buy the big Maser.

When I look a Mercedes-Benz E-class and a Maserati Quattroporte it's clear which is the more stylish and elegant.

Maserati Quattroporte ftw.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Prius's Avatar
Prius Prius is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,176
Location: Detroit
Yes, the Maser does trump the Benz. But it has a triple digit price tag too.
__________________
I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prius View Post
Yes, the Maser does trump the Benz. But it has a triple digit price tag too.
That's true. Hence the CLS.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
baddabang's Avatar
baddabang baddabang is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,987
NEW YORK
Send a message via AIM to baddabang Send a message via MSN to baddabang
Obviously the Cadillac is the only decent choice here.
__________________
John says:
so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
i'm afraid to fap
cause i got it on my hands
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Rockefella's Avatar
Rockefella Rockefella is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 16,605
Northern New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Rockefella Send a message via MSN to Rockefella
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
Obviously the Cadillac is the only decent choice here.
lolstfu fanboi




This post probably warrants an infraction, but who cares.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Prius's Avatar
Prius Prius is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,176
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I can see 2 flaws in your argument. First one is that no matter how real GT4 is it's not real life by any standards.
I know that. Jeremy Clarkson proved that. But then again, his test was flawed somewhat, as he used a NSXR in the game, and an Acura NSX in real life, which is consideriblly heavier.

But I do know that GT is a bit dumbed down from real life, but as I said, I don't have a license nor do I have a fraction of the prices of both of those cars, so this is all I got. I knwo that it probably won't be exactly like what the cars are like in real life, but it is close, so I don't use it to make my full judgement.
__________________
I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Really useful performance listings... Egg Nog Technical forums 58 06-20-2013 10:45 PM
What BMW means?? Swissbeatz Miscellaneous 59 09-24-2007 03:58 PM
Mercedes AMG or BMW Motorsport? Brabus Car comparison 43 05-02-2005 07:04 PM
Mercedes E55 AMG - V.S. - BMW M5 CL 65 AMG Car comparison 24 11-06-2003 03:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com