Thread: Ron Dennis to hand reins to Martin Whitmarsh

Ron Dennis to hand reins to Martin Whitmarsh

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has revealed that as of this season he will be taking more a back seat role in the running of the McLaren F1 team. He has been rumoured to have been considering at least semi-retirement for a couple of years after the stresses of the "Spygate" scandal and the breakdown of his marriage. Now it seems he has decided, after seeing his protege Lewis Hamilton win the championship last season, that this is the right moment to take a step back from the day-to-day running of the Formula 1 team. The team's operations at race weekends will now be left in the capable hands of long-time McLaren man Martin Whitmarsh.

The 61 year old Dennis has been with McLaren for over 28 years and has guided the company to huge success in that period with the likes of Lauda, Prost, Senna, Hakkinen and Hamilton all becoming World Champions with the team. Dennis will remain with the company as full executive director, and will focus more of his time on McLaren's projects away from the race track. He made the announcement at the launch of the team's 2009 F1 challenger, the MP4-24

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dennis
    First thing I am going to do is work harder, that is the first target.

I intend to raise my own game because I think everybody in our organisation at every level realises this is a tough period in which we are going to work and of course we are a very diverse organisation now.

We have a clear intention for our production car programme which is really a challenge. Any product we bring to the market will certainly fall the other side of this financial period.

I stress nothing to get too excited about but it is absolutely time for Martin to take over as team principal. As from March 1 he will adopt that responsibility. I will still go to races, not all of them, because I am passionate.

I intend to work harder and will take on greater responsibility in the group. I will be full executive chairman. It is time and I have to say it is absolutely 100 percent my decision. It is what I want to do, but I do intend to work much harder.

Don't see it as some sort of retirement, I want to work harder in other areas and having to plan those tasks around the GP calendar is disruptive to the process. It is a job that Martin will embrace and enjoy.

It is a job over the years we have shared anyway, but it will be his decision to influence things at a grand prix circuit.
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; 01-16-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I encourage everyone to read up how Dennis turned McLaren's fortunes after buying the company in 1981. It's highly impressive and place a whole new light on the man. One of Formula 1's all time great managers.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Contributing to the last post with a sauce. Itīs good for a starting point, but left me with a lot of questions.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

I don't know if Whitmarsh will have the same on-field capabilities of Dennis, I always saw him more as business man with the passion for cars, rather than a motorhead or even just a man with more interest in the cars and F1 rather than money (not that Ron dislikes money...).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    Contributing to the last post with a sauce. Itīs good for a starting point, but left me with a lot of questions.
    There is a great book about McLaren by Doug Nye. It also covers the earlier period with the F1 and Can-Am cars.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

HAHAHA, down goes McLaren. With this news in mind, I am confident that Ferarri have no serious competition this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    HAHAHA, down goes McLaren. With this news in mind, I am confident that Ferarri have no serious competition this season.
    I hope this is facetious humor.

wow thsi scandal was called spygate first? NFL journalists clearly have low originality... terrible
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    wow thsi scandal was called spygate first? NFL journalists clearly have low originality... terrible
    Journalists in general do. Every spy scandal since watergate happened has been called spygate. My favorite is actually the clinton scandal dubbed zippergate. I bought a commemorative knife with a caricature of clinton on it that said "zippergate '98." Crappy knife actually, but it was only $7.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Theres no doubt the race team wont be disadvantaged by Ron stepping aside, Whitmarsh has been involved for years in his current role. It'll be interesting what might change though with Ron's absense and any decisions that get made that previously may have conflicted with Rons emotions.
    I am the Stig

New Car, New Boss. At least Whitmarsh has been there long enough to hopefully make it a smooth transition

^ agreed. though i was a bit surprised to see dennis step down this year...

Thread Information