Thread: "Ferrari recalls Italia cars after reports of fires."

"Ferrari recalls Italia cars after reports of fires."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11156782

"Ferrari has decided to recall all of the 458 Italia cars it made this year, following reports of a number of the luxury cars catching fire.

Ferrari said its engineers had flown around the world to investigate five reports of "thermal incidents".

In extreme cases, the melting of the adhesive can lead the heat shield - the liner which protects the engine - to deform and move closer to the exhaust, causing the lining to catch fire."

"THERMAL INCIDENTS" haaaaahahahahahahaha sounds like "wardrobe malfunction".

"The handful of owners who first reported the fires . . . - will now receive a new model, Ferrari said."

Now that's what I call Customer Service!
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    "The handful of owners who first reported the fires . . . - will now receive a new model, Ferrari said."

Now that's what I call Customer Service!
    Well they really kind of had to. The question is will Ferrari foot the full bill or will the insurance eat part of it. I mean it's not like you are going to rebuild the car.

Man, isn't it thought-provoking that something seemingly petty such as wheel-arch glue could bring down the whole mothership.

Makes you think of the level of engineering required to build these things...

So apparently the new 458 is a proper Ferrari after all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Brutal.

Looks like the Ferrari 458 is a real burner.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Man, isn't it thought-provoking that something seemingly petty such as wheel-arch glue could bring down the whole mothership.

Makes you think of the level of engineering required to build these things...
    Your comment just reminded me of this one:
    "It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs."

But yes, often times its the little things. A cheap bearing in the gearbox denied what should have been the first victory of an AWD gasturbine car at Indy. A small mistake in testing a fuel cell almost cost NASA the Apollo 13 crew. The up side is, if you are given a second chance, these things are at least usually rather easy to fix.

Funny, that when this happens to other makes they often get crucified. When it happens with a Ferrari, well it's just character I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Your comment just reminded me of this one:
    "It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs."

But yes, often times its the little things. A cheap bearing in the gearbox denied what should have been the first victory of an AWD gasturbine car at Indy. A small mistake in testing a fuel cell almost cost NASA the Apollo 13 crew. The up side is, if you are given a second chance, these things are at least usually rather easy to fix.

Funny, that when this happens to other makes they often get crucified. When it happens with a Ferrari, well it's just character I guess.
    Deformable O-rings at low temperature that cost next to nothing killed the Challenger crew.

Oh I'm sure those O-rings weren't that cheap... though they were pennies compared to the Shuttle!

Wow, Ferrari has a recall. What is the world coming to!

I remember a plane crash awhile ago that killed over 200 people... What brought the plane down? A simple rivet that came out, which allowed the panel to loosen up, and come off which depressurized the cabin, and broke the plane up. It's usually the simple things that cause the biggest problems.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Looks like the Ferrari 458 is a real burner.
    It is a hot car after all.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    I remember a plane crash awhile ago that killed over 200 people... What brought the plane down? A simple rivet that came out, which allowed the panel to loosen up, and come off which depressurized the cabin, and broke the plane up. It's usually the simple things that cause the biggest problems.
    The great thing about a burning Ferrari is, the owner can stop and get out. Planes....not so much.

So, whats more painful than being on a two year waiting list to take delivery of your brand spanking new, top of the exotic line, perfectly optioned F car?

...Watching it burn to the ground mere weeks afterwards.

I don't think the owners of these cars will be too choked though, given that their a$$es are covered. The only downside is having to use their non combustible Porsches to bridge the time gap .

Apparently 9 or 10 of these things have been incinerated so far. Not good odds at all.

This comic comes to mind..

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information